Steering problem

Wakdaz

Gday lads.
So the lux was taken in for an alignment, both lower ball joints were bad, left tie rod and pitman arm, all replaced.

Drives fine now, HOWEVER, my steering doesn’t allow for much of a turning angle as it did.
The steering wheel rotates further to the left than the right, it’s a nightmare turning around in tight spaces.
Any ideas what it could be, left seems restricted too but better than the right, it’s touching up on the steering stops (bump stops?) as I can see the metal is shiny and raw.

Batts88

I'm not sure if the pitman arm can be put on a notch more to one side or not causing it butit's best to get them to go over it they can raise the vehicle and visible see or measure any difference and correct whatever it is.

Wakdaz

I'm not sure if the pitman arm can be put on a notch more to one side or not causing it butit's best to get them to go over it they can raise the vehicle and visible see or measure any difference and correct whatever it is.
I reckon so, hopefully they’ll work it out, I’m lost in this situation

cam04

If it’s touching both stops and binding between steering locks I’d be taking it straight back to whoever did the work. There will be an incorrect part off another model hilux is my guess. If you run bigger than 31’s Or do corrugations a bit you should get used to replacing idlers/pitmans. Genuine parts always lasted longer for me.

Wakdaz

If it’s touching both stops and binding between steering locks I’d be taking it straight back to whoever did the work. There will be an incorrect part off another model hilux is my guess. If you run bigger than 31’s Or do corrugations a bit you should get used to replacing idlers/pitmans. Genuine parts always lasted longer for me.
Alright thanks mate, It’ll be back there Monday

typhoeus

sounds like the steering wasn't centred when they put the pitman on. I did mine recently and centrepunched the shaft and the old pitman before removing it ( which was a PIA to get off ) Then I compared the old & new pitmans, marked the new one on the same spline and it was easy to align it again.