Steel bull bar and winch - axle weight

iamacup

Hi folks,
I’m new here and new to Tritons, and been out the 4wd game for about 10 years.

I’m looking at putting a steel bull bar and winch on my MR triton, but I’m a bit concerned about front axle load limits. Mostly as I don’t understand how to calculate the front axle load. I don’t know if the steel bar and winch will be an issue. Spec sheet says 1260kg for front axle load, which seems not a lot compared to, now I’m looking at spec sheets, 1400 for vehicles like the ranger and hilux.

The fella in shop seems unconcerned, but that’s no surprise. I see plenty driving around with various bars but that’s not a great metric either. So, can I put a steel bar and winch on the MR Triton or do I risk damage and issues?

I drive the GSR premium, so it’s already the heaviest version (I think). Any thoughts comments appreciated.

Cheers
Cup

Triton14

So they are saying from stock you can add 135kg of load to the front axle??

What's the bar weight of the one you are looking at??

Probably around 60kg??

Then put on a 10-12000lb winch on on which averages about 30kg = 90kg combined.

So what's the issue??

If anything I would be more concerned about the stock suspension handling the extra weight, not so much unladen but then throw everything else on to the car for a trip & thats where the stock gear doesn't handle the load!

Lost1?

A triton with dual batteries under the bonnet, bash plates, steel bar and winch is over weight on the front axle. Winch and bar, close, not over.

iamacup

Yeah, I guess I knew it was going to be close. I think adding a bash plate for the front is wise, that radiator seems to hang l pretty low.
Re-stock suspension. I was planning on doing the suspension at the same time. TJM and ARB both want to do 2" with their respective products, I have another quite for a 1" lift with a brand I've never heard of before. Certainly, if I'm doing the bull bar then suspension upgrade is going on too.

Pleased to hear the replies sort of confirm where I thought I was sitting.

So, controversial bull bar question. The ARB smartbar (the plastic one), seems to be the best option in terms of weight. Has anyone got one on?

iamacup

ARB Suspension for a MR Triton is a 25mm lift FYI in the front / 20mm rear.
Hmm, interesting, in hindsight I guess ARB didn't specify, so I just assumed. Honestly, I don't think I need the 2" lift for the stuff I do. It's more to support the weight on the front end.

Batts88

I would also be looking at the type of bar and where it sits when fitted the main issues with most modern bull bars is they can add to the damage if hitting a roo for example. The reason is poor mounting structure and they are mounted too close to the vehicle following the contours not allowing much room for movement.
I hit a mid sized roo last yr at 60kph with an older bt50 and factory alloy bar it pushed it sideways around 25mm bent it forward around 75mm and popped the plastic wheel flares off. I kicked it a few times to get it back up to put the flares on but have to remove it to inspect and maybe replace brackets etc.

Lost1?

Ultimate suspension do a good budget set up that many a triton owner.was.happy with. You will need.to find someone to fit.it.

iamacup

Just to add to this, I've discovered a few things. The top triton models from 2019 on wards had an extra 100kg of front axle load giving it 1360kg, and 40kg extra (ish) of kerb weight. I took my triton over a weigh bridge and got a front axle weight, with me, my toddler, and a 1/4 tank of fuel and got a weight of 1200kg.
Still looking into things, including suspension upgrade. Not rushing into anything just yet.
Oh, and my wife has said she wants a smart bar as we'll mostly drive in the city, so I guess that's in stone.