Starter Battery recommendation

smitty_r51

After some good recommendations for a decent starter battery under the bonnet.

Current battery is a no brand cheapie I picked up from the local electric place in Strathalbyn about 5 years ago... Been brilliant for the price and size but can't get the same one now being interstate. 620cca

So after some ideas.

Cheers Smitty

Swaggie

Five years for a cheapy is a great run...

SSB or Optima are great batteries but $$$$$... Do you drive your vehicle regulary.... Mine does around 6k a year now...

There's a special on Aussie direct batteries in the deals thread...

Stay away from Century leakers...

smitty_r51

Five years for a cheapy is a great run...

SSB or Optima are great batteries but $$$$$... Do you drive your vehicle regulary.... Mine does around 6k a year now...

Not as a daily, but when it is going out it is big km to remote. Sat in the garage on a trickle charge most of the time with a run out once a month to keep everything moving

Petunia

Stay away from Century leakers...
I would be interested as to why?

I would recommend them [century] .... yes any manufacturer can have a bad batch, or be a cheap/nasty product? Anyone can be hard on a product too, number one to longevity of a basic lead acid start battery, is always charged [or full] as much as is possible, a day round town stop/start can take a 3 hour hiway run to put back what was taken out.

Current century is approaching the 5 to 6 year mark, with one unfortunate severe flattening which had a detrimental affect ...it went from holding 12.7 to 12.4 constant, the previous century was changed at the 5 year mark as it was showing signs of being tired, it lived out its life in retirement starting a fergy tracktor.

35+ years as a century stalwart, and in the last 5years using another brand as a house battery [hybrid start/deep cycle] I am so impressed with it, I would buy 2 more IF I could ^%$#@! find them, typical the stockist had to import so many to sell so few, so discontinued importation. I live in hope these 2 are near the end of life, that DOA is coming.:cool:

Swaggie

I would be interested as to why?

I would recommend them [century] .... yes any manufacturer can have a bad batch, or be a cheap/nasty product? Anyone can be hard on a product too, number one to longevity of a basic lead acid start battery, is always charged [or full] as much as is possible, a day round town stop/start can take a 3 hour hiway run to put back what was taken out.

Current century is approaching the 5 to 6 year mark, with one unfortunate severe flattening which had a detrimental affect ...it went from holding 12.7 to 12.4 constant, the previous century was changed at the 5 year mark as it was showing signs of being tired, it lived out its life in retirement starting a fergy tracktor.

35+ years as a century stalwart, and in the last 5years using another brand as a house battery [hybrid start/deep cycle] I am so impressed with it, I would buy 2 more IF I could ^%$#@! find them, typical the stockist had to import so many to sell so few, so discontinued importation. I live in hope these 2 are near the end of life, that DOA is coming.:cool:
There's been a couple of threads on here regarding Century ,I've had deep cycle and starter Century's and while 4wdriving they leaked acid inside the engine bay.... NEVER AGAIN.

There's a few members that have experienced the same issue....

boobook

I thought my battery was dying, I went to an Autobarn where a guy really does know electrics. He said they stopped selling Century and advised Bosch or Supercharge. He even had a Century N70 4wd in the size I wanted and refused to sell it to me. In the end, he said my battery looked fine and to give it a good charge overnight. It has been fine since.

He said that the warranty claims for Century had gone up, and to make it worse, Century now insists on returning a battery to their depot for checking which takes 3 days. Other brands are happy to take the word of the retailer with a printout on the CENTURY PROVIDED test machine.

I have had several Century batteries and to be honest happy with them but this guy had no reason not to sell me a Century there and then. I'd be interested if the warranty claim thing is correct. That would be enough to strike them off the list for me.

barcher

It's a few years ago now, had century leak, acid ate its way through an air conditioner pipe.
A fleet of small trucks at work all had century's, most leaked. Brown stains on the new concrete.
I won't be risking another one.

Triton14

After reading a lot of battery threads on here I just bought a Optima D34 for $330.
They are an AGM cranking & deep cycle combination which was a deciding factory in my choice.

Its not on the car yet as my factory one if still hanging on after 5 & 1/2 years but I don't think I am going to trust if for an upcoming trip so will be changing out before I go.

It is the most I have ever spent on a battery but if they are as good as everything I have read about them then I will be a happy camper

shaun0

I use an Optima D27F never had any issues with it and it flat a couple of times when I was overseas but its still fine didnt seem to suffer from it.

Petunia

ok, people have had problems, I have never had a problem? maybe I'm doing it all wrong? must find rougher roads? I did however have a marshall carp itself on the 12month mark, [about 1770 just as Cook set sail] the manger talked it up like it was the last battery I would ever own it was so good.

dno67

ok, people have had problems, I have never had a problem? maybe I'm doing it all wrong? must find rougher roads? I did however have a marshall carp itself on the 12month mark, [about 1770 just as Cook set sail] the manger talked it up like it was the last battery I would ever own it was so good.
Here's two leakers, l just took the pics of out in the shed a few minutes ago.
20190619_155550.jpg
20190619_155623.jpg

Both spew there guts out.

Petunia

top one looks like a fault in manufacture failure to glue screw or fuse the top on however it's done, similar happened after the chooks knocked one off the shelf and it landed on a corner, split similar to that yet a totally older style to that one. [i swear it was the kid, not the chooks] The second one looks to be over charge boil off?? as in too long at full charge?

I have seen what logistics does to freight, I live in the shadow of the century factory, and only bought the batteries from the local warehouse or in latter years when they no longer serviced the public, i purchased from suppliers i knew had their batteries delivered, in a careful concise mannor from said warehouse.

I can pluck feathers out my shiney metal dot, and make excuse for why I like them, I just do, because I have yet to experience a bad one. I was peaced off many years ago after an accident, excess was half the new battery, the case was bent, the positive shorted on the body ... I got the car back with a pushed out case and recharge on the same battery, I said century must be ok? Times have changed since then.

dno67

Second one leaks on the side where the top is bonded to the caae also. Today is the first day l've ever connected and charged it with a battery charger. Has been connected to a 10w regulated solar panel for the last 2 years.