Stainless snorkel vs airtec

OneHilux

Hi,

I am considering buying a JMAX Engineering Stainless snorkel. I wouldn’t hold back, except that stainless snorkels have a rear facing intake, as opposed to the ram head on the airtec. Is anyone aware that this makes a huge difference? A few mates gave me some very strong words against stainless snorkels, something to do with that rear facing intake actually restricting air flow because it doesn’t ram air down the snorkel pipe like a standard snorkel. I thought you would need to be travelling pretty fast for the ram head to push air right down to the air box, if indeed snorkels are meant to push air into the motor. I thought they were just to give the engine a less constricted flow of air. Let me know what you think/recommend. The airtec pictured below I already own. The other pic is from JMAX.
B705682D-7DED-4CC9-A289-5306C0D9C96C.jpeg
4CF4370C-14AE-49CE-8E7A-86684DCDDE1A.jpeg

Cheers

Drewswb

Just to be a grown-up for a sec, any ram air effect you would gain from a plastic one facing foward is negated by the shape of the rest of the snorkel( heaps of tests have been done on it . This looks to be alot more efficient, as its got no right angle bends or changes in diameter

Batts88

The type of air filter limits the flow as well. But unless your building a racecar for performance a few bends etc won't make a difference worth worrying about.

CaptainBanana

Fluid Dynamics is a very complex science and there are many many factors which affect how much flow you get. But here's the most critical part and don't take offence... your car is far from a highly tuned race car and neither of those snorkels is likely to pose a restriction. Also it's fairly easy to test for a restriction in the intake system by fitting a vacuum gauge and seeing if any vacuum is created under full load and RPM.... I'm not suggesting you bother doing this as your motor is not going to make any vacuum due to restriction either of those snorkels. Also the ram air effect is not going to create any power with the airtech as you don't actually know that there is a positive pressure area on top of the windscreen.... if I had to guess and based on other evidence too I would suggest that there is no positive pressure in that area and that the air generally follows the roofline and then actually goes down over the tub fairly smoothly.

For me personally I think these massive steel snorkels look rubbish but I'm not 20 years old so don't take my word for it. If you're trying to justify a way to spend $1,000 on a snorkel to replace the one you already have you will have to justify it simply based on looks as it won't change the performance.

Aza013

Fluid Dynamics is a very complex science and there are many many factors which affect how much flow you get. But here's the most critical part and don't take offence... your car is far from a highly tuned race car and neither of those snorkels is likely to pose a restriction. Also it's fairly easy to test for a restriction in the intake system by fitting a vacuum gauge and seeing if any vacuum is created under full load and RPM.... I'm not suggesting you bother doing this as your motor is not going to make any vacuum due to restriction either of those snorkels. Also the ram air effect is not going to create any power with the airtech as you don't actually know that there is a positive pressure area on top of the windscreen.... if I had to guess and based on other evidence too I would suggest that there is no positive pressure in that area and that the air generally follows the roofline and then actually goes down over the tub fairly smoothly.

For me personally I think these massive steel snorkels look rubbish but I'm not 20 years old so don't take my word for it. If you're trying to justify a way to spend $1,000 on a snorkel to replace the one you already have you will have to justify it simply based on looks as it won't change the performance.
I 100% agree. 4x4s are not made for speed, neither are the snorkels made it give noticeable power increases. They are to help prevent water and dust entering the engine ( as we all know any way ).
I have a 200mm funnel ram pipe with only two smooth bends feeding from the front bar of my race/street car, that only makes a small difference until over 140. And yes there are other engine mods done. (But that’s not what this topic is about lol).

Last edited:

OneHilux

You’re dead right there - I’m certainly not graced with many horses under the bonnet, but I do like the look of stainless, just something different I suppose. Valid point about the expense too, easier to use the perfectly good one I have, rather than shelling out $850. Thanks for your help, I was pretty sure it wouldn’t have a big effect on performance. After all, the point of a snorkel is just to give the engine less restricted airflow, and keep the intake out of the mud dust and water.
Cheers

Last edited:

Batts88

You could buy something that's usefull like a fridge for $850 unless you have the dollars to spend. A K&N air filter or similar will let the air flow better.

Batts88

You may need to try one or research it a bit better I've had 3 in different 4wd's you can feel the motor revving up easier as you go through the gears and the other myth they don't filter correctly is rubbish.

CaptainBanana

Maybe I've done controlled dyno testing and road testing on various cars? Check the wording I've used.... He doesn't require enough flow to use REDUCED filtration. Also if you have shown such significant improvements tell me what the reduction in vacuum was?

Batts88

But your not reducing the filtration it still removes particles so the vehicle breaths clean air it just allows more air flow which can be noticed whie driving but every vehicle will react differently some may need tuning to get the full benifit some don't bother. I had them it 2 diesels which I left alone, 1 carby petrol which I tuned to suit. Have no idea or any need to know what reduced vacuum is just know they work well, not sure where you got significant improvements from but it wasn't me. They also work well on motor bikes a work mate got a 2hp gain on a 250cc it was checked before and after and noiced it on the track where it counts when racing. If you don't agree then leave it there or you can start your own thread about filters.

CaptainBanana

If you're getting a significant power gain then your factory filter was literally full of shit. I tested these back around 2005 on an AU Fairmont using a drop in filter, A modified vx clubsport which ran 118mph also using a drop in filter and the same clubsport on the same day running an OTR with K&N insert.... I used to sell this crap so I needed to know if there was any merit.

The AU went slower across 8 runs by approx 0.2 of a second. The club sport when no quicker at all... Zero, zilch nothing. I ran all day until the steel belts showed and ran within 0.15 of my best time. The final runs were with no filter and still ran the same. The OTR proved exactly the same EXCEPT on WOT from rolling start at moderately high speed it had a very very minor improvement on throttle opening due to high pressure at the front of the car.

I ran the cars at Heathcote with a gtech plugged in and took readings for all data points.... Believe what you wish but it's bad advice suggesting someone lower their filtration level for maybe 1-2% flow increase which translates to zero improved road feel.

Edit: just to be clear the AU and VX drop in filters were both k&n branded.

Last edited:

Drewswb

On mine and I think most petrol Pajeros you get a really cool induction noise no other benefit