Spun Steel Camp Oven

Have always enjoyed cooking meals in our cast iron camp oven, recently I was given a new spun steel oven as a gift. Never really given much thought to these lightweight bits of kit before but so far I am enjoying this new (for me) method of cooking.

The oven is a Southern Metal Spinners 12 inch and looks very shiny out of the box. Seasoning was the first order of the day so after a thorough wash and dry it was time to oil it up and into the BBQ. I like to use rice bran oil for this job.

12 inch oven.jpg

After a few treatments it has changed to a new look.

20190209_124537.jpg

I also received a Camp Oven Mate, which I am also happy with. This allows me to easily use the oven at home as well as giving me the ability to use the oven in places that don't allow open fires. The only negative thing I have found is that even though the burner is well shielded the flame still tends to go out if there is any sort brisk breeze. So far have always managed to find a sheltered spot to get the cooking done.

The mate takes less that a minute to put together and packs away to a reasonable size for transport. I have put together a kit of items that I take when using the mate, This includes the base from an old Brazier, a small table, a piece of marine ply to protect the table and a Companion Double Ring Burner
oven mate.jpg

So far it has performed well on all my usual dishes.

Baking results were very good, with no issues turning out Bread, Bread Rolls, and cakes.

baking.jpg

Scones were good as well.

scones.jpg

I have also cooked a variety of meat dishes as well with Roast Lamb and Lamb Shanks turning out ok too. Casseroles and stews are a breeze also.

meat.jpg

I find you have to be a bit more precise with your heat settings and placement compared to a cast oven but other than that it seems just as easy to use. We are going for a five day camp in a couple of weeks so will be able to give it a try on coals and see how it goes.

So are they still susceptible to rust like the cast ones or more like stainless??
They are made from carbon steel so yes they will rust if not looked after. Once seasoned properly they will be more resistant but you will still need to give them due care. If you are used to looking after a cast iron oven you will be ok with the spun oven.

The main advantages touted of the spun ovens are of the light weight and more robust construction, they will not crack if dropped like cast but they will dent. You can treat them more like a standard pot from your kitchen, for example adding cold liquid to a hot spun oven will cause no harm and using dish washing liquid in the clean up is ok too.

As with any seasoned pot you should avoid harsh scouring with a metal pad if you want the seasoning to stay in place. I have not needed to scrub this oven at all so far, I just cover any baked on area with hot water and let it soak while we eat and the cleanup is easy from there. Perhaps the smoother finish helps this also.

The only real downside is the cast oven has a better ability to spread the head around but if you are used to cooking in a cast oven you will soon pick up the slight changes for the spun oven.

As you can see from the bread shots above the spun oven has no problem producing a lovely brown crusted loaf without burning the bottom.

How good do those bread rolls, lamb shanks and stews look...
Scones with cream and jam, could eat those all day long with a cuppa tea.

Well done mate...
I agree Swaggie they are all great camp meals to tuck into after a big day of adventuring. One thing I am loving with this new oven is the size. I have the 12 inch oven and it is huge compared to my cast ovens, I hate to think how heavy a similar sized cast one would be.

I particularly like baking breads and rolls in a camp oven. Nothing like some fresh baked crusty bread to compliment a hearty soup on a cold day.

soup.jpg

Albynsw

There is a camp oven cookbook I have somewhere and they recommended the spun steel over the cast iron ovens
I bought the spun steel as they are lighter as well

Have been using a hill Billy brand spun steel one for about 2 yrs now and we love it. A good advantage is the lid doubles as a frypan 2 uses makes it a very worthwhile addition to the kit.
We do use a trivet in the bottom of ours to prevent the bottom of whatever we're cooking from burning, otherwise, love it.

Finally had a chance to try out the oven using coals from the fire.

Did a roast chicken, it was nice and brown on top but could of used a bit more heat underneath to brown up the bottom. Still it cooked well and was very tasty.

The potato bake was a success, maybe could have done with a little more heat on top.

The cob loaf turned out a little flatter than usual but it was a cold miserable day and I had trouble finding a warn place for the dough to rise. The texture was ok though and had a crisp brown crust.

coals.jpg

Did a roast chicken, it was nice and brown on top but could of used a bit more heat underneath to brown up the bottom. Still it cooked well and was very tasty.

The potato bake was a success, maybe could have done with a little more heat on top.

The cob loaf turned out a little flatter than usual but it was a cold miserable day and I had trouble finding a warn place for the dough to rise. The texture was ok though and had a crisp brown crust.

View attachment 62071
I use one of these below, just Google the temps for chicken, beef etc and stick the probe in, no guessing, no over cooking.

Mate I can't be stuffed going to the effort but I'd sit there and eat it if you offered...:p
5E746924-AFE1-4951-90ED-35F234DD04CD.jpeg

darb

Nice!

I got one last week too, early birthday pressie from the mrs. I went for the 10 inch instead of 12. The bag says cast iron but obviously isn't (wife just reckons it was a nicer bag)

Welders gloves for handling them.

Innagural run with some rack of lamb and veggies, went well.

IMG_3120.JPG
IMG_3121 (1).JPG
IMG_3122.JPG
Damper-Creek-June-2019--1008.jpg
Damper-Creek-June-2019--1001.jpg

Nice!

I got one last week too, early birthday pressie from the mrs. I went for the 10 inch instead of 12. The bag says cast iron but obviously isn't (wife just reckons it was a nicer bag)

Welders gloves for handling them.

Innagural run with some rack of lamb and veggies, went well.

View attachment 62081 View attachment 62082 View attachment 62083 View attachment 62086 View attachment 62087
No bragging rights then mate... ;)

They look good.. I have a couple of the old cast iron ones but they're just too heavy to lug around imo and I havnt used them for years...

darb

No bragging rights then mate... ;)

They look good.. I have a couple of the old cast iron ones but they're just too heavy to lug around imo and I havnt used them for years...
ha ha, apparently the wife reckons a 10" is better than 12" ??? (joking of course - we just wanted the 10)

Just as well coz she's barely getting half of either!

Bomber2012

View attachment 62071
Look on the bright side , you didn't destroy it . Its all trial and error with new equipment , bet the next ones turn out heaps better .
P.S, Looks pretty good if you ask me . :):):)

I can see a trend here, have a spun steel oven and what would appear the required bag to put it in Have had it for 3 1/2 years now & has been across the simpson, and done CSR & the Gibb as well as shorter trips. If ya haven't got a pioneer bag ya not fair dinkum .