Sound deadening?

High all ,does any one know how to remove the roof lining of a D max? I'm looking to put some sound deadening stuff in, saw a wicked video from car builders and it's pretty much convinced me to have a crack, cheers

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
know how to remove the roof lining of a D max?

Very carefully !
They are like a card now, and if you bend it at all it will crease and that will stay visible.

Being a ute cab, with possibly extra cab or certainly dual cab, you can't take the headliner out (unless windscreen comes out), so it has to sit carefully on the laid back front seats, and might make access to put in flat sheet soundproofing more awkward.
Single cab and possibly extra cab, you may get out ok angling through the door opening.

We remove headlinings routinely for PDR repair of hail damage, but we don't have a need to get into the cab, sit on seats etc, just work from outside, so it doesn't bother our work.

You'll need a very small flat screwdriver to pop any round / oval plastic screw covers in handles / visors, etc, a regular philips head most likely, possibly some small metric sockets in 1/4 or 3/8 drive to undo some bolts you'll find, and a trim clip remover tool.

Supercheap have loads . . . https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/search?q=trim removal tool
These are ok . . . https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-door-trim-remover-set-5-piece/282096.html

I prefer the metal ones https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toledo-toledo-trim-removal-set-2-piece/540787.html

All makes and models are different, we just adapt as we work through removal.

You remove all fittings as seen, like folding sunvisors, interior lights, rearview mirrors if through liner, side handles, door jamb trims (all the tops down halfway down pillars), the front A pillar, centre B pillar, and rear C pillar trims (mostly hidden clips), seat belt mechanisms will probably have to be loosened or removed, take out any visible clips (note, many clips now are designed to break, so new ones need to be purchased, they can be $4 or $5 ea trade), THEN, there may be concealed clips holding up the last parts of the lining in places, easily noted by feel, and a trim remover tool used to pop these.

The headlining can then be removed or lowered carefully onto the seats as flat as possible.

Though I couldn't find one for a Dmax on YouTube, these may help you with some of the processes . . .

BA Falcon headlining removal

Nissan Navara headlining removal

This is the one you saw on Car Builders YouTube ?
Hilux sound deadening.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
This is the one you saw on Car Builders YouTube ?
Hilux sound deadening.

Just watched this in full, interesting they took the headliner out, didn't show removal, just the refit . . . and yes, if careful (AND SEATS OUT) it can be done by the looks.
We don't need seat removal of course for our work.
As your seats will come out for the soundproofing, you should be ok, but use care with twisting, certainly don't try and bend at the corners.

I recall Luke @mac_man_luke did his 79 series, maybe he can give you some overall tips, think he had a thread on it.

Batts88

Lot of mucking around just for the roof what noise comes through there besides the occasional heavy shower of rain. Would be easier to do the doors, floor and fire wall and bonnet lining if the car is that noisy inside.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Lot of mucking around just for the roof what noise comes through there besides the occasional heavy shower of rain. Would be easier to do the doors, floor and fire wall and bonnet lining if the car is that noisy inside.

You'd be surprised how much will come through the roof, wind noise mostly.
Was going to suggest what you said though, it is a lot of work in a cost / effort vs benefits view.
Most noise in the cabin is going to be road / mechanical noise.

mac_man_luke

I did whole cab including roof in my 79 using Focal BAM which is a combo deadener (butyl / foil / foam)
Made a massive difference to noise but the 79 didnt have much to start with other than thin carpet.

If your into audio it and have a nice set of speakers it will make a big difference doing the doors

Batts88

You'd be surprised how much will come through the roof, wind noise mostly.
Was going to suggest what you said though, it is a lot of work in a cost / effort vs benefits view.
Most noise in the cabin is going to be road / mechanical noise.
No worries the 07 BT50 I have in very heavy rain is louder on the windscreen than the roof opposite to the GQ patrol.