Soon to be Jackaroo Bonfire.....

centaur

My son and I have just finished replacing the small bypass pipes on his 6VD1 (V6, Petrol) engine.... This involved pulling down the COMPLETE front of the engine, and removing the cambelt/pulleys from both cams. :mad::mad: We have got it back together, but now it wont start.:confused:
The problem we had, was trying to reset the cam timing, which I am pretty sure is wrong. When checking the internet, there seems to be some confusion regarding where the timing marks are, and what ones to line up with..:eek::eek:

ScreenShot001.jpg ScreenShot002.jpg ScreenShot003.jpg

Which one of these is correct. I had trouble setting the timing on a consistent theme, the left back (as seen from front) was at the dimple, BUT, the right bank (as seen from front), would not line up with the dimple, it keep sitting at 1 oclock. The Crankshaft was correct, though. We have no markings on the belt to help with this, just arrows stating direction of belt. The engine turns over fine, just not firing.

Also, what is meant by this engine is a non-interference engine????

NEED HELP........

muc the truck

My son and I have just finished replacing the small bypass pipes on his 6VD1 (V6, Petrol) engine.... This involved pulling down the COMPLETE front of the engine, and removing the cambelt/pulleys from both cams. :mad::mad: We have got it back together, but now it wont start.:confused:
The problem we had, was trying to reset the cam timing, which I am pretty sure is wrong. When checking the internet, there seems to be some confusion regarding where Which one of these is correct. I had trouble setting the timing on a consistent theme, the left back (as seen from front) was at the dimple, BUT, the right bank (as seen from front), would not line up with the dimple, it keep sitting at 1 oclock. The Crankshaft was correct, though. We have no markings on the belt to help with this, just arrows stating direction of belt. The engine turns over fine, just not firing.

Also, what is meant by this engine is a non-interference engine????the timing marks are, and what ones to line up with..:eek::eek:

View attachment 24795 View attachment 24796 View attachment 24797

NEED HELP........

Hope you did the water pump and belt while you were in there because no marks tells me its cacti's . Now there are marks on the belt that co inside with all the pulley marks , if you cant see them buy a new belt as they have worn off .cost about 75 bucks at repco the last time I bought one. I am hopping you parked it in the correct place before pulling it apart . Hoping you have workshop manual . If not you will have slowly turn all pulleys into there position and use a peg or small plastic clamp to hold the belt alignments up on the top left and right hand cam timing pulley and mark while you holt back tension on the cam belt tensioner and slide the belt on (you will have to remove the tensioner and place it in a vice , pin it closed and release it later when the belt is on. take your time to get it perfect. lines on belt do line up with all pulley marks. take notice of the second diagram you posted . Don't try to mark it up with no marks on belt .YOU will never get the belt tension right and it will be out of sinc

Last edited: