Some advice please on 12 volt electric motor please

BUSHNUT

My knowledge of what a n electric motor is capable of is somewhat limited, so I am asking advice from members of the forum that are less electrically challenged than I am about the following.

Is it possible to run a compresser of the air conditioner pump type off a an electric motor, as my vehicle is a cab/chassis type with a tray , rather than stuff around with longer belts etc..

In discussion with a guy at Wandin , apparently with the intercooled 4.2 litre. there is quite a bit of stuffing around, I was thinking of putting it uder the tray forward of the axel somewhere out of the way. Is this feasible ?

I would appreciate some feed back. Thank you

Bushnut

tektrek

Banned
Why would you want to run a compressor this way when you can buy already made big banger 12 volt air compressors up to 150 litres/minute complete with tyre inflation gear and so? For example I sell 150 litre/minute units for $225 and they will run a rattle gun or nail gun and pump tyres from 14psi to 30psi in under 40 secs. If you still want to go with your own idea it will cost you heaps more as you will need a very very big DC motor of at least 1 HP to crank over the aircon compressor plus really big power cables and connections etc etc.

BUSHNUT

Why would you want to run a compressor this way when you can buy already made big banger 12 volt air compressors up to 150 litres/minute complete with tyre inflation gear and so? For example I sell 150 litre/minute units for $225 and they will run a rattle gun or nail gun and pump tyres from 14psi to 30psi in under 40 secs. If you still want to go with your own idea it will cost you heaps more as you will need a very very big DC motor of at least 1 HP to crank over the aircon compressor plus really big power cables and connections etc etc.
Dear Tektrek,

That is exactly the info I was after, whether ity was feasible. My tyre inflation needs vay from 16 to mid 40's depending on loads and conditions , so pumping 4 tyres from 16 to say 42, do your units handle that okay straight after one another or do you need to give them a bit of a rest in between, do you have a website or data that you can send me on them.

Thank you for the lowdown