solar regulator

I'm looking for some advice on solar panel "regulator" on what & where to buy ? NOT cheap chinese stuff but something we can rely on .
thanks any help appreciated .

thanks i'v noticed on ebay the enerdrive 10 amp is about $80 & victron is usa $ 130+ does that sound right ?
just wondering what models other use

thanks i'v noticed on ebay the enerdrive 10 amp is about $80 & victron is usa $ 130+ does that sound right ?
just wondering what models other use
Depends on your setup mate. I have the Victron 100/30 on my camper trailer, which takes 400W of panels. Running a Projecta IDC25 DCDC charger in the Dmax fed from a 200W panel

Aaron

I'm looking for some advice on solar panel "regulator" on what & where to buy ? NOT cheap chinese stuff but something we can rely on .
thanks any help appreciated .
I guess you have a dual battery set up ? I purchased a DC/DC charger with solar connection (Thunder brand on flea-bay). Fitted it myself, so it eliminated the controller and the dual battery controller. Best thing I ever done, I run two fridges and use a 250 watt solar panel off a 130 amp Battery

I guess you have a dual battery set up ? I purchased a DC/DC charger with solar connection (Thunder brand on flea-bay). Fitted it myself, so it eliminated the controller and the dual battery controller. Best thing I ever done, I run two fridges and use a 250 watt solar panel off a 130 amp Battery
thanks reply ....I have a few different portable/removable panels with a projector reg & i use them for different things like just charging up battery's camper /vehicle /farm stuff , not really looking dual bat setup exactly but wud b interested in people different setups .
how does the thunder quality rank .... cheers

mac_man_luke

I have been doing a bit of research on regulators and the Victrons really look nice.
Good value, bluetooth for stats/settings, accept a wide range of panels (including grid panels with higher voltages which are great value if you have the room for them). Also can be overdriven eg 200w panel on 100w regulator meaning you can get full output more of the time without oversizing the regulator.

If you have a DC-DC like redarc they are not a bad option but restricted to 12v panels which seem to cost more for the same watts and not be from top name suppliers.

thanks luke : I don't have a dcdc on the vehicle just a redarc sbi 12 & solar panel , latest one is 200w . since starting this thread i have got a pwm reg for general use i.e around the farm , shed etc . looking at the redarc site there regs are pwm only ? why are they not mppt i wonder.....
Is there a big advantage in the up to 200w range panels with a mppt reg ? as i would like to upgrade the current reg .
cheers

I run Victron on pretty much everything, they make really nice bluetooth enabled MPPT controllers. The 75/15 paired with a good quality 200w panel works amazingly well and more then most people will ever need on the road. We can run our camp effectively indefinitely off it and we run 2x Fridges, 2x water pumps, Devices, Lights etc etc etc. I do run a Victron 30 amp charger that supports lithium in the camper to charge off mains or generator if the weather goes bad. Look at the Blue smart range from Victron and you can't go wrong.

I am a VSR fan, and don't use DCDC units as I find them totally unnecessary and slower to charge aux batteries on the move as they are current limited. Been running VSRs for years without any power issues ever.

Enderdrive also make great kit, they are the only other brand I would use.

mac_man_luke

I am a VSR fan, and don't use DCDC units as I find them totally unnecessary and slower to charge aux batteries on the move as they are current limited. Been running VSRs for years without any power issues ever.
Me too, only time id see the need for DCDC is if your stuck with a smart alternator that cant be made to output proper charging voltages all the time.
Just give it a charge with a good AC charger (or if you have solar that will give it the last little bit you dont get with a VSR)

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I think dc-dc are good for a camper etc power setup.
Plus aren’t agm batteries better not charged at too fast a rate ?
Alternators around mine (60amps I think) are ok, but some charge a lot higher and while dc-dc are variable, they’re usually much lower output than an alternator.

mac_man_luke

yea DC-DC work well in a camper etc where voltage drop is an issue

Charge rate is mostly only an issue with some agms (mostly cheap or specifically designed for super deep cycle use more like UPS power back up systems etc)

I have run an AGM under bonnet fed via VSR and battery is going on 5 years old and it was not a particularly expensive battery.

I think dc-dc are good for a camper etc power setup.
Plus aren’t agm batteries better not charged at too fast a rate ?
Alternators around mine (60amps I think) are ok, but some charge a lot higher and while dc-dc are variable, they’re usually much lower output than an alternator.
Current can't damage your AGM battery, only too much voltage will overcharge and damage it and that won't happen with the output on a car alternator as they are matched to the absorption profile of near on every battery type. For example my ranger puts out a constant 14.4v default with the smart charge disabled which is perfectly fine for 5/6 battery types I can think of with the exception being Lithium.

AGM 14.2 - 14.6
Gel 14.1 - 14.4
Flood 14.4 - 14.9
Sealed 14.2 - 14.7
VRLA 14.2 - 14.5

Given a single AGM can easily take 30A on it's own once you start trying to charge a couple+ behind a 25-40a DCDC things get rather slow, that is why a VSR will always charge a aux battery to 80% way faster then a DCDC but a DCDC will get the last 20% faster. It is a myth that a VSR can't fully charge a battery.

With a Lithium battery I'd use a good high amp DCDC like the 40amp Victron or Enderdrive, or if I had a cable run that was undersize and I didn't want to replace the cable then I'd use a DCDC then too. Every other instance a good VSR, and a stand alone Victron MPPT controller would get my nod.

Neil Watts

Hmm, jury is still out on crystals, unless you only read the marketing blurbs form the only manufacturer and its dealers. One mate killed his new cyrstal in his LC200 on his first trip.
Tink
Mines been going strong since 2016, it ran a 40lt Engel at -18 and a 40lt Ironman fridge at 0 for 6 weeks (10500km) without missing a beat. Have had it down to 11.4v and it charges back to full within an hour or so of driving. Have run it flat once, just bounces back, 78ah. Not ideal though if you want to link aux and starter.

Attachments

In regards to cable size from VSR to the 2nd deep cycle battery , its apox 3/3.5 meters in length .
what size should i have or what would be the minimum size ? NO dcdc charger
cheers