Solar panels

Madone

Afternoon
I'm after some advice,I've got a 120amp battery with a projecta 25amp dcdc charger with 1 160 watt fixed solar panel on my canopy.
Can i plug another 150watt portable solar panel into the dcdc charger via a Anderson plug double adapter so they work of the same plug outlet.
This will only be when at camp.
Hope this makes sense.
Cheers

Lost1?

You could rig something with two plugs into a single input linked to ur dcdc charger. If you need that much solar is your battery the correct size for your needs?

red hilux

Depends on what he wants to do.
i had 200ah, 250w solar and a ridge rider fridge. This was good for a day out 2. Then the battery was flat.

on the other hand. Since he mentioned that it’s only for camping. I’m guessing he wants to park his car under a tree so it stays cool and then run a movable panel to follow the sun

cam04

Afternoon
I'm after some advice,I've got a 120amp battery with a projecta 25amp dcdc charger with 1 160 watt fixed solar panel on my canopy.
Can i plug another 150watt portable solar panel into the dcdc charger via a Anderson plug double adapter so they work of the same plug outlet.
This will only be when at camp.
Hope this makes sense.
Cheers
yes.
Keep in mind one single panel in the sun is better than 2 in the shade. I also put another andersen inline from the canopy panel as well and if it is partially shaded and I can get the portable into full sun, I disconnect the fixed panel. I can watch the amps climb straight away as the mppt search algorithm stops jumping around. The projecta will handle both in full sun no problem.

mac_man_luke

Afternoon
Can i plug another 150watt portable solar panel into the dcdc charger...
Cheers
Main thing you need to watch with the projecta is to keep total watts to under 385w and panel voltage below 23v.
This means if you use 2 panels chances are you are going to need to run them in parallel as series would push you over max voltage.
Also mixing and matching panels is not idea but can be done, might be better off just swapping to the portable panels or even running them off a seperate solar charge controller for best results - a basic victron MPPT charge controller is pretty cheap and very good.

Depends on what he wants to do.
i had 200ah, 250w solar and a ridge rider fridge. This was good for a day out 2. Then the battery was flat.
thats surprising! i used to get at least 2 days from 100ah AGM with a waeco fridge and now with 120ah Lithium BMS suggests about 4 days.
With 220w of solar in less than optimal positioning the battery is full at the end of the day.

If you need that much solar is your battery the correct size for your needs?
Really only need battery storage to run for 1 or 2 days if you have adequate solar to have the battery back to 100% at the end of the day.

red hilux

thats surprising! i used to get at least 2 days from 100ah AGM with a waeco fridge
Once you saw the design of the fridge.
i did a thread here. I pulled the fridge apart.

They ran the condenser pipes and evaporator pipes in side the side walls of the fridge.

my advice if your buying a fridge. The condenser pipes needs to be inside the fridge and not inside the walls

cam04

Main thing you need to watch with the projecta is to keep total watts to under 385w and panel voltage below 23v.
This means if you use 2 panels chances are you are going to need to run them in parallel as series would push you over max voltage.
Also mixing and matching panels is not idea but can be done, might be better off just swapping to the portable panels or even running them off a seperate solar charge controller for best results - a basic victron MPPT charge controller is pretty cheap and very good.

thats surprising! i used to get at least 2 days from 100ah AGM with a waeco fridge and now with 120ah Lithium BMS suggests about 4 days.
With 220w of solar in less than optimal positioning the battery is full at the end of the day.

Really only need battery storage to run for 1 or 2 days if you have adequate solar to have the battery back to 100% at the end of the day.
Projectas handle 26v now apparently. Have done for a little bit.

cam04

Be nice if they updated there website haha but prob wouldnt make much difference as 2 panels is normally 40+ volts
Yes I only got the info off another forum. Apparently v4 onwards, and yes, of course the idea is to run them in parallel on one of those chargers so open circuit voltage isn’t exceeded.