Solar panel and second battery

Komang

Hi guys
Iam looking buying solar panel folded for second battery when we park/camp.
Just never connect solar panel to a car before
The car are equip with Redarc bcdc 1220 to charge the battery when it run without solar option.
How I connect the solar blanket to the battery?
Just plug it in (with inverter) or I need something or any device.
Thankyou

MrPoopypants

Hi guys
Iam looking buying solar panel folded for second battery when we park/camp.
Just never connect solar panel to a car before
The car are equip with Redarc bcdc 1220 to charge the battery when it run without solar option.
How I connect the solar blanket to the battery?
Just plug it in (with inverter) or I need something or any device.
Thankyou

G'day again Komang
Most solar panels come with either a pwm or mppt controller, which must go between your panel and your battery. Mppt works better than pwm but the cheap panels usually come with pwm. You can also use most dcdc chargers, which usually have a solar outlet which is mppt. Use reasonably solid cables and Anderson plugs to connect to battery. Mounting a plug in a handy spot on the towbar or somewhere usually works. You can get different coloured andersons, so you can see which one is solar. Set colours only plug into each other. Plenty of posts on here with info. Just use the search function. Lots of variety out there, some very expensive. In all honesty I don't use mine much, I just have a larger battery. (only 120 AH though)
This is worth watching:
Solar blankets take up a lot less space.
Sounds like you are really getting into it.
Cheers
PP

Komang

G'day bro Poopy
I do understand basic solar panel as I had one install it my self for my cat run with inverter and battery to powering the fan.
Does it work the same in the car dual battery where I just add inverter for the solar panel and connect it to the second battery or I have to add isolator switch to isolate the inverter when the car is running
Cheers

CTL

Most panels come with an attached solar regulator. If the panels you buy have a solar regulator, you can attach the panels directly to your second auxiliary battery.
Always cover the panels, or lie them face down, BEFORE connecting to your battery.

Swaggie

You mean Solar Charge Regulatir/Controller and yes as close to the battery as possible would be better

Komang

Cheers guys for the info,
Hope fully border will open soon. Have camping trip in the end of June just for a week.
With 80Ah battery absolutely will need solar panel to help the the beer keep cool in the fridge :)
Have order waterproof 20A regulator and folding SP due the placement will be at the back tube without canopy.

CTL

Solar energy is easily recharged throughout the day, making solar panels ideal for grand driving adventures. I also searched for solar panels recently. If you decide to buy solar panels read here a comparison of the best companies is a good helper for a balanced choice. See a review of the best sellers and manufacturers.
Haha, that company gets paid by the companies they review, hardly independent or unbiased.