Solar blanket stand

discomatt

I was lucky enough to get a 200w solar blanket for Christmas, we have a regular solar panel but needed 1 more to be really self reliant for both camper and car. We went the blanket to save weight and trying to find another storage spot for glass panels was going to be a nightmare while we still have the camper trailer.
I have seen a lot of people throw them over the windscreen which is OK for the old D1 but not going to happen with the D4 !!
We often camp on sandy beaches and me being a bit OCD don't want sand all through it and flat on the ground wont give the best output.
So can you buy stands for them, had a quick google and nothing came up or has anyone built there own light weight folding stand?
I am thinking of piecing together some fiberglass tent poles or something similar .
Any thoughts and ideas would be great.

Swaggie

I think no one has really thought about it,usually there laid across the windscreen or bonnet etc....

Tink

Short or cut off tent poles with spigot into eyelets on blanket held down with ropes or bungy cord to pegs, maybe.
Tink

Spooner

Lmao,yeah hopefully someone will come up with a solution...
Like the Prado club :D
Prado.jpg

sharkcaver

The Projecta blanket has a stand. A fiberglass pole runs across the top of the blanket providing lengthways rigidity. Then 3 little legs also fit into the top of the blanket to allow it to be free standing and angled. Its pretty flimsy to be honest, but better than windscreen mounting IMO.

One word of warning though. I have partially stuffed my blanket. The sheer number of corrugations I have driven have allowed the folded blanket panels to rub against each other. This has turned the plastic sheet opaque in places and I'm certain it is having a direct impact on the amount of sunlight meeting the cells. I tried to polish it out without success.

So put some type of insulating material between those panels. I just cut up some old moving blanket I had on hand. Probably a bit late now in my case. It will increase the folded size a little, but help protect the panels outer sheet.

smitty_r51

One word of warning though. I have partially stuffed my blanket. The sheer number of corrugations I have driven have allowed the folded blanket panels to rub against each other. This has turned the plastic sheet opaque in places and I'm certain it is having a direct impact on the amount of sunlight meeting the cells. I tried to polish it out without success.

So put some type of insulating material between those panels. I just cut up some old moving blanket I had on hand. Probably a bit late now in my case. It will increase the folded size a little, but help protect the panels outer sheet.
I had the same issue on my 50amp one and need to remember to sort this on the new 150a version before it does the same

callmejoe

You could always go camping with someone else or juat camp beside a complete stranger and throw it over there bonnet instead.
Im sure most people would be fine with it and totally understand........

discomatt

You could always go camping with someone else or juat camp beside a complete stranger and throw it over there bonnet instead.
Im sure most people would be fine with it and totally understand........
So when will the Patrol be parked next to the D4 again?

Aza013

If you are that worried about putting it on the car put a soft blanket down on the bonnet/window then put the solar blanket on that. No scratching then.

discomatt

If you are that worried about putting it on the car put a soft blanket down on the bonnet/window then put the solar blanket on that. No scratching then.
Its not the solar blanket on the car thats the issue, its all the dust , dirt and sand that gets blown up onto it after a few days of camping and putting anything on that. Ever seen what kids running there fingers down the side of a dirty car does?

discomatt

Sounds like the D4 is to precious for taking bush . :D:D Piss it off and buy something more suitable lol .
You know that is not the case, that car has already done a lot more than a lot of 4wds out there and I have only had it for 1 year and 30,000km:)
With a LOT more to come !!

Pubski

I got a new one took the family down to lakes entrance after chrissy. i thought itd be fine to throw it out in the sun on the ground. unfortunetly some children decided it was actually a hop-scotch board rather than a solar panel.....

Stand would be a good idea....