SOA conversion

cptmud

I have a box trailer that i want to use as a basic offroad trailer, nothing hardcore, just to get the camping gear to a campsite. It currenttly has 14 inch rims on it, and i want to put the same rims as the cruiser under it, 16 inch 285's. the eaisest way to get extra height and clearence is a spring over. Has anyone done this , and how hard is it, and what do i have to watch out for. If this dosnt get me the required clearnce, i will put extended shackles on it and modify the mudguards.

Grumpy

Cptmud u could also drop the spring mounting points by simply welding new tubing to the chassis and remount the springs.

cptmud

that sounds like a idea, will have a look into it, while im at it ill strenghten the chasis on the trailer and put a new floor in as it has rusted out. Ill have to start to take some pics, but you will have to forgive the welding as im no expert, and only using very basic arc welding gear, but it will hold, just wont be pretty.

Last edited:

ian059

I just went from 14 to 16 inch wheels on my camper trailer. While mine in not an offroad and won't need the clearance, be aware of your wheel offset. I had to get a new axle, 3 inches longer than the old one. Still, they are not that expensive if you shop around and it is worth it to have the same stud pattern and wheels and my towing vehicle. Have fun!

IanC