Snow trip areas in Victoria

Big Matt

Ok guys, getting prepared for winter and looking to do some snow trips

Where are the best areas to get into, i know a bunch get gated, so was wondering whats open

Also does craigs hut get much snow, and is it accessible (does it get cut off by track closures) ?

Cheers

Mongrel Lux

Ok guys, getting prepared for winter and looking to do some snow trips

Where are the best areas to get into, i know a bunch get gated, so was wondering whats open

Also does craigs hut get much snow, and is it accessible (does it get cut off by track closures) ?

Cheers

Mt Selma is one of the best North of O'Tool's (sort of) & half way between Licoa & Woods point roughly. Also some areas around Woods Point Mt Terrible is good when it's under snow wich it wasn't last year hoping for a better snow season this year. Mt Selma is 1469 m & Mt Terrible is 1316 m So Selma is 153 m higher & can be done as a day trip or weekend trip camping below the snow line. Check out this trip report of Mt Selma:-

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/vic-trip-reports/8325-mt-selm-28-aug-report.html

Must have a permit to drive over Mt Skeen, & I'm not sure but I think only 4WD CLUBS can get permits. Craig's Hut is closed for winter from Queen's Birthday weekend till Cup weekend.

I hope to do ALOT more snow trips this year.

TUFF IFS LUX

Mt Terrible was under snow...I did a day trip there last year and the place was covered....not that much that you couldnt drive through thou but enough to take the kids and have a play for a day trip.

Bullstat

Mt Matlock near Woods point is a spot I head to several times through Winter and I find that theres plenty of snow around (I actually got bogged in snow on Matlock Hill last winter). I generally get there via Marysville and head back via Mt Selma & Mt Useful, its a long day but I enjoy it.

madgq

i went to mt buller on opening weekend of the snow season last year, there is no gates at the back of buller so i drove out that way to craigs hut, was awesome in the snow...

7ddb71f3ab.jpg

efba968081.jpg

me photo bombing my missus pic haha

744578091d.jpg

Last edited:

Big Matt

Mt Matlock near Woods point is a spot I head to several times through Winter and I find that theres plenty of snow around (I actually got bogged in snow on Matlock Hill last winter). I generally get there via Marysville and head back via Mt Selma & Mt Useful, its a long day but I enjoy it.

Cheers mate ill keep those in mind

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Did a couple of snowtrips last year; Mt Selma & Mt Terrible/Matlock with both having plenty of snow. I find Mt Terrible/Matlock a nice drive for a daytrip via Marysville & prefer to do Mt Selma over a full weekend. 1 day 4wding around the Walhalla area, stay overnight at Rawson then head up to Selma the next morning. A couple of pics from both trips;

Mt Selma
47534_439324678696_537503696_5025670_1161611_n.jpg

276328_mypictures089.jpg

125110_mypictures080.jpg

Mt Terrible/Matlock
680868_mypictures061.jpg

397520_Tony.jpg

49493_LeavingMtMatlock.jpg

Sambartom

Mate,Not far from were we 4wd'ed on the weekend,Lot of good spots and trust me this years snow is going to be sweet....:)...Snow down very low..Oyer no need to pay for a room in my area buddy...;)

Mongrel Lux

Awesome pics allanmac, love it & it's SNOWING ALREADY :) 2 months b4 the start of the season. Long may it continue:):):)

Last edited:

Big Matt

Mate,Not far from were we 4wd'ed on the weekend,Lot of good spots and trust me this years snow is going to be sweet....:)...Snow down very low..Oyer no need to pay for a room in my area buddy...;)

Cheers mate I'll definantly keep that in mind

Big Matt

You didn't need to be in a club last year ya just had to sign up on 4wdvic site or something

Which way you go in Luke ?

Evil666

Im not in a club or on 4wd vic

i just bullshited on the forum and put my dads club details done :)
im not paying cash to drive over our country

I went in via Licola last year