snow camping

jimmbo57

Hi all,
My partner and I would love to camp in the snow and am trying to locate a site in NSW. We camp out of the back of our Prado with our Oz tent. We are fully self sufficient. I have rung NSW national parks but they couldn't help me.
Thanks all,
Jim and Michaela

ferozious

Plenty of campsites along the Alpine Way near Thredbo,
I have added some on the Find A Campsite part of the site.
you can keep going out towards Tom Groggin or Geehi Flats, this will involve camping with views of snowy mountains, but not camping on snowy ground. You can also do 4x4ing, motorbiking at these two locations as well.

Also, it snows most winters up near Orange, NSW, and i think you can go camping high up at Mt. Canoblas State Forest. Better to wait until you hear news of the snow falling here before planning a trip. Plenty of motorbiking you can do here as well.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Are you sure you really want to do that. Only reason I ask is we camped at "Pretty Valley" for 4 days beginning the 17 January this year. It was 1800 metres above sea level and a cold change came through. Well let me tell you, it snowed and snowed and snowed. The weather got colder as the days work on.. Then the snow stopped and the wind came... It blew a freezing gale and turned the snow to ice. We camped in a Kimberly camper with all the mod cons and still found ourselves in "Pretty Valley" hut with the pt belly stove roaring to keep warm...Check this out on day 1

ferozious

Are you sure you really want to do that. Only reason I ask is we camped at "Pretty Valley" for 4 days beginning the 17 January this year. It was 1800 metres above sea level and a cold change came through. Well let me tell you, it snowed and snowed and snowed. The weather got colder as the days work on.. Then the snow stopped and the wind came... It blew a freezing gale and turned the snow to ice. We camped in a Kimberly camper with all the mod cons and still found ourselves in "Pretty Valley" hut with the pt belly stove roaring to keep warm...Check this out on day 1

Looks fun!

kingo

i must admit ive done a few snow trips and i allways base the trip around huts,,,its the safest way dont underestermate the high country as great as it maybe.
Thats my tip of the day.:D

Walkabout

The pine forests near Jenolan and area's around Oberon get a light dusting most years at some time or other and are close enough for a last min trip.
Tom Groggin in the snowey mountains provided the road is not closed, 3 mile dam is about 2 klm or less from Mt Selwyn and is a nice spot to camp.
You will freeze yer nuts off though... one of those ideas that seems great at the time.

teza h

You must be joking!!! There is places to be in weather like that, and it is NOT in a tent.

Traveller

Camping in a tent in the snow shouldn't be a problem- as long as the rest of the sleeping gear is
also up to it. A canvas tent will give some better protection, but a decent dome should be fine. I use
to use a space blanket, then a closed cell sleeping mat with a minus 12 down bag, sometimes even
building an igloo. Takes a lot of time and effort to build one though!
Have you spent time in cold climates before, knowing about wind chill, waterproofing, thermals etc?
I know you said you were self sufficient, but I don't have any idea of your experience from your first post that's all!

Jok

jimmbo57

Experience

Hi Jok,
Plenty of experience and love it. The right clothes and the right sleeping gear and a love of the cold is all you need.
Jim

Traveller

Would love to help out here, but how long is a bit of string! Depends on level of snow fall, angle of roof,
force of wind, strength of struts, etc... Too many variables to give a good answer sorry mate..

Jok

jimmbo57

Thanks all

Hi all,
My partner and I would love to camp in the snow and am trying to locate a site in NSW. We camp out of the back of our Prado with our Oz tent. We are fully self sufficient. I have rung NSW national parks but they couldn't help me.
Thanks all,
Jim and Michaela

Thanks all for the great advice.
Jim and Michaela

Traveller

Good luck Jim, make sure you put a few pics up when done mate, I've not done much camping in NSW at all and a few snow pics are always good to see!!