Snow camping

Dead_Man

Hi all

anyone know if there is good spots to camp in snow in Victoria? I heard need to obtain a permit to be in snow area when the winter season starts. all ideas/advises welcome I am dying to camp in snow this year.

Swaggie

Matlock and Walhalla/Mt Terrible area’s have snow at the right time of year, me I’ll stick to the summer months getting too old for that type of crap... ;)

You’ll need to check at the Parks Website what tracks are subject to Seasonal Closure.

Dead_Man

Matlock and Walhalla/Mt Terrible area’s have snow at the right time of year, me I’ll stick to the summer months getting too old for that type of crap... ;)

You’ll need to check at the Parks Website what tracks are subject to Seasonal Closure.
I definitely will check them out this this year... Thanks :).I am very keen to suffer in winter.

Dead_Man

Again this might be a bit of a dumb question. I have notice that MT Baw Baw dont allow to have any solid fuel fire. is this conditions applies over the winter too?

if yes, will freeze to death.............

RBJET

No permit needed, there are only a handful of gated tracks that require permits in the area.
No issues with having fires either. Make sure you take some dry wood to get it going.

boobook

The most reliable place for snow in Victoria outside the resorts, that you can go on without a club permit is out of Licola on the Tamboritha Rd to Lost Plain. It's at about 1500m.

You need to be completely prepared. It can be one way in and out depending on the snow and isn't well trafficked. Bring a bloody good sleeping bag, and warm clothes, lots of spare food, a PLB / Sat Phone and wood. Oh, a bunch of Rum. If it snows overnight you may be stuck there for many days.

Also reherse the following line.

'Jeezuz it's bloody cold'. You'll be saying that about every 15 minutes.

greysrigging

I went up to the Blue Mountains, then Hampton and Oberon on a snowy day in Oct 2010. what amazed me was at this lookout place/campgrounds up on top of the Great Divide, there was a couple camping ! about 1c, 50klm wind, icy sleet and snow mixture, patchy snow on the ground.....
I could barely get out of the heated cabin, and these two are sitting under a tarp, big fire, mittens, scarves, beanies, drinking hot coffee and having a whale of a time ! At least no flies or mosquitos in winter....lol

Swaggie

Again this might be a bit of a dumb question. I have notice that MT Baw Baw dont allow to have any solid fuel fire. is this conditions applies over the winter too?

Mate something tells me you’ll only do it once or if your a sucker for punishment twice ;), you have no fire getting into your swag, :oops: :oops: going to the toilet 1&2’s, Then getting up once you finally get toasty warm in the swag out in the bitter cold to light the fire again.. Hopefully you don’t cop a lot of wind or rain..
You’ll be sniffing most the time...
I feel like turning on the bloody heater just talking about it...

Oh take dry wood up there, if you want a decent fire... Forget this and let the shitfight begin...

MrPoopypants

Ahh, you guys just need warmer undies - and I don't mean those furry jocks you wear on special occasions! :)
Nothing finer than camping in the snow under snow gums, brushing the frost off you in the morning to make a cuppa while the sun comes up, or watching the snow build up on your shoulders.
You just need the right gear to relax and enjoy it.
Mind you, my missus has the right gear but it's always me that's up boiling the billy ...

mauriceb

Hi Guy's. ,A bit off topic but a good place to start I would be very keen coming down from Qld for a snow trip this winter for at least a week or longer. I grew up in outback Aus and have never driven in snow . Hoping someone can start a new post on this subject. Cheers Joe.

Bomber2012

You can light a fire pretty much anywhere in the VHC , Mt Baw Baw is a ski resort .

greysrigging

And a tip.... not too much beer prior to rugging up in the swag.... it takes a special kind of courage to get up at 3.00am and 5.00am for a slash in -5c temps !