snorkle on a petrol

wannabe nomads

Hi fellow 4x4ers , just wondering would it be viable to put a snorkle on my petrol 2000 prado , wat would be the advantages of this or is this not recomended being a petrol regards

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Snorkals on petrols are fine. In fact, recommended. All a snorkal does is lift the air intake point higher. Not only will it give you a deeper and safer wading depth (for the engine at least)Your intake will be cleaner and less restricted. Your current air intake is probably located in your front guard somewhere. This makes sucking air a little more restricted than up high and the air being ramed into the air box. If you also replace your exaust system you will probably find a cosiderable improvement in performance as well.

Go for it!

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have a 1998 VX 3.4L petrol Prado and earlier this year added the snorkel. I noticed a improvement in highway driving and a slight change to the economy and power. The big thing is clean cool air is being scooped into the engine instead of from the wheel arch plus the intake is over 600mm higher in water conditions. Being a petrol you still don't want the engine that deep in water.

Things I found to improve the Prado are:

Clean the MAS (Mass Air-Flow Sensor)
I changed my spark plugs to Bosch Platinum’s (FR8HPX)
Air Filter
Clean the fuel injectors

Here is the thread about it http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/my-4wd/4274-toyota-prado-90-series-1998-a.html

I personally believe the cost of the snorkel is worth it but look at it a as cheap insurance while driving around water.

rodw

I'd say do it. particularly if you drive in convoy with a few mates. After one day trip in dusty convoy conditions, I was astounded by the amount of dust in the air filter. I tapped out the dust and not long later, I had a 10,000 km service. They changed the air filter which was not due for another 10,000 km just because of that one trip. Now with a snorkel fitted and a few trips under my belt since, the filter is always nice and clean! I figure the snorkel will pay for itself in a few years from the cost of the extra filters alone!

Radiowaves

I have a 1998 VX 3.4L petrol Prado and earlier this year added the snorkel. I noticed a improvement in highway driving and a slight change to the economy and power. The big thing is clean cool air is being scooped into the engine instead of from the wheel arch plus the intake is over 600mm higher in water conditions. Being a petrol you still don't want the engine that deep in water.

Things I found to improve the Prado are:

Clean the MAS (Mass Air-Flow Sensor)
I changed my spark plugs to Bosch Platinum’s (FR8HPX)
Air Filter
Clean the fuel injectors

Here is the thread about it http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/my-4wd/4274-toyota-prado-90-series-1998-a.html

I personally believe the cost of the snorkel is worth it but look at it a as cheap insurance while driving around water.

Why don't you want a Petrol Engine That deep in Water?, Plugs and Coilpacks are sealed up good.

Defintly do it, Even just for Dust Alone, All Filters ( Especially Paper Filters ) Will let past a very small amount of dust, Better off letting as little dust get to the filter in the first Place, Your Engine Will love you for doing it.

Last edited:

AK47

I`ve just put a snork on my 4.5L petrol troopy and it`s works well. A scare doing a river crossing with water going over the bonnet and wipers on made me do it.Despite what people say a petrol can still go under water and digest it.The electrics might fail in the end, but it might be to late by then.It can`t do any harm anyway and its cheap insurance for $600. Cheers

chrisgq

Snokles are worth having on. As mentioned a bove thye move the intake up higher clear of water and dust. How ever in a petrol motor care should be taken when water crossing. Due to all the electrics. Lots of wd40 spray, Bags on eletrical points and even a tarp or waterbra put on the front for those deeper water crosssings.

Chris