Snatch Recovery - Explained

Swaggie

Probably a dumb question but can I ask why not?

Hi mate

If you Google tow ball kills ,sadly there are plenty of examples...

Woman killed in freak towing accident - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2848780-3x2-340x227.jpg

Cheers

Wow thanks for that.

Been pulling stuck vehicles using the towball all my life, never considered it breaking. Guess I'll have to change method.

GUnka

Wow thanks for that.

Been pulling stuck vehicles using the towball all my life, never considered it breaking. Guess I'll have to change method.

Wow, must be some damn good kiwi luck you have.

Am sure a lot can say they have been doing the same all their life. Once ya dead can't exactly say different. "life" being the operative word there.

Even a rolled up magazine is stronger than a tow ball in "shear load" force. One may think by the size of the thread on a tow ball it will take plenty of load. They are not high tensile and who knows the quality of the steel used to make that $5 ball. The chrome plating probably cost more. Would you tow an 8 tonne van on your vehicle, hell no. Check the rating on your snatch strap, most are min 8000 kg. Use a hitch recovery with a 4.3 T SWL shackle (SWL is always min 1/3 breaking strain by AS/NZ and ISO standards)

AV8

At a training meeting, we were told that there have been 18 death this year due to tow ball accidents.

Snatch straps = 2x-3x GVM. Anything stronger will shock load

Could you use the tow hitch pin instead?

Superdad

My training course said the pin was fine. Others have said they can bend and be a bugger to get out. ARB told me they were fine and they sell hitches because people want them. Finally, I have not yet met anyone who has actually bent a pin.

Based on this, I use the pin...

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yes, pin fine, just make sure the edge of the opening is filed rounded off, and not sharp from standard or worn sharp from towing.

GUnka

My training course said the pin was fine. Others have said they can bend and be a bugger to get out. ARB told me they were fine and they sell hitches because people want them. Finally, I have not yet met anyone who has actually bent a pin.

Based on this, I use the pin...

Am sure the pin is fine and many chose that option. I have seen bent pins but none that couldn't be removed just would not be able to be used again as once something is bent it has lost some of its original strength. If ARB told me to jump off a cliff I wouldn't do it.

Aaron Schubert

18 deaths this year. That is a lot more than I thought; is that just in Australia?

4WD recoveries can go so badly wrong if people aren't careful!

Aaron

Wow, must be some damn good kiwi luck you have.

Am sure a lot can say they have been doing the same all their life. Once ya dead can't exactly say different. "life" being the operative word there.
Ha Ha yes back when I was young safety was for girls & that's kind of the environment I grew up in and was trained in.

Not too old to change though, glad I found this site will probably learn a lot.

Just took a look at the towbar, it's nicely set up with a pin that can be pulled pretty easily to release the drawbar, then the pin can be replaced, whole thing will take seconds and will be a much safer option so very pleased you guys helped me out with this.

Pretty shocking this has caused 18 deaths in the last year, only a few weeks back I pulled a large lorry out using the towball the guy stopped me on the side of the road, that would have been quite a strain, anyhow next time it will be the pin.

When I looked at the towball it's rated 3,500 KG, which is stamped on it. So I guess if I was using an 8 ton strop, the towball would be the weakest link.

Swaggie

You can and personally I wouldn't, buy yourself a hitch receiver (around $45) with a rated shackle and you'll never look back.. I tell people to put a zip tie through the eye of the pin and shackle so it doesn't vibrate loose out on the tracks, I've seen it happen and it's happened to me lol , as soon as I hit dirt road for 4wdriving the hitch receiver goes in, comes out when I unpack at home..

Goodluck..;)

Eightyeight

You can and personally I wouldn't, buy yourself a hitch receiver (around $45) with a rated shackle and you'll never look back.. I tell people to put a zip tie through the eye of the pin and shackle so it doesn't vibrate loose out on the tracks, I've seen it happen and it's happened to me lol , as soon as I hit dirt road for 4wdriving the hitch receiver goes in, comes out when I unpack at home..

Goodluck..;)

Only cause I'm too slack to go a shackle to shackle on my receiver when connecting, I swiped a pipe cleaner from my daughters art and crafts stores. Keeps the shackle from undoing itself on the rough stuff, but is easy to undo in order to use the receivers shackle to attach to straps. (I know cable ties are cheap and plentiful but I don't wanna rely on having cutters to undo it)

Checkout my ride in My Colorado build Thread!!!

Swaggie

Only cause I'm too slack to go a shackle to shackle on my receiver when connecting, I swiped a pipe cleaner from my daughters art and crafts stores!

I've never had to use shackle on shackle and wouldn't suggest it at all.. As I have two leartherman knives at the ready it's all kool... Last time I used the shackle on the hitch receiver was about 6 years ago... Maybe I'm not trying hard enough..:p:D:D;)

80lover96gxl

I lost my hitch receiver about 6 mths ago now and have been slack in getting another.

Iv been using the hitch pin for light to moderate snatching ,if it requires more than that I'll generally winch.

Havent had an issue using the pin and im certinly not recommending others do but I think if its only for light recoveries I dont see at as a problem.

Shackle on shackle, thats just crazy talk.:eek:;)

Eightyeight

Just to clarify, I don't do shackle to shackle, but have seen it done. Concerning.

What I was suggesting is it's an easy option for some who insist on shackle and cable tie, but don't carry multi-tools or snips in their pockets...

Thus I use a pipe cleaner...

Shackle to shackle, isn't that the equivalent of docking?

Checkout my ride in My Colorado build Thread!!!

about 8 years ago i found myself in Very Deep water. big surprise! the water was over the roof on the drivers side and bottom of the windscreen on the passenger side. the car was running. at that time i was only using the pin in the hitch. This works well and i have no problem with it at all.

On this occasion the hitch was under water and the water was entering the car FAST. a mate ran into the water and was chest deep at the back of the car. because he had to try and find the pin, remove the pin, insert the snatch strap, insert the pin half a metre under dirty water it took a LONG TIME.

He got to my car when the water was half way up my shins, bottom of the seat. When they finally pulled me out the water was upper chest high. 20 seconds and we were bailing. the vehicle was a Write Off. we were safe and drive it home though.

Had i had a Hitch receiver installed into my rear bar with a hook on it the water would not have reached my knees, i would have dried the car out when i got home and No Insurance claim would have been necessary.

The moral of the story..... If your happy to use the Pin then pre-fit your snatch strap and tape it to your back door or spare or rubbish bag. Same goes on the front, if you think your going to need a snatch out forward hook on and put in in the front window on your lap and ready to throw out when needed.

Or Buy a Hook receiver ;)

legs of steel

Anyone know a good permanent knot for tying the ends of a broken snatch strap together? A bloke snatched me out once but snapped his strap. He just jumped out, tied the ends together in 2 secs flat and pulled me out next go. Buggered off into the sunset before I could ask for a demo of the knot!

Oh and handwinches are way more versatile than an electric. Best thing about them though is after you've used one once you don't want to get stuck EVER again.

Double sheet bend. Get your local SES to show you.

MUX STX

Has anyone had any experience or heard of a air bag going off during a snatch recovery?

Somewhere in my deep deep memory I recall reading something about this.

Maybe just another weird dream.............down toto!!

80lover96gxl

Has anyone had any experience or heard of a air bag going off during a snatch recovery?

Somewhere in my deep deep memory I recall reading something about this.

Maybe just another weird dream.............down toto!!

Air bag as in suspension airbag like a pollyair or and exhaust airbag jack being used as part of the recovery, have heard of the exhaust airbag jacks failing during a recov but not a suspension airbag.