Snatch blocks

Noel Preston

Thinking of upgrading or modernising my snatch block. The one I have now is probably over 40 years old and is quite large at 300 mm long and 170 mm wide, that's the pulley diameter. There is nothing wrong with it just the physical size. If I upgrade does anybody have any recommendations as to brand and rating. I saw a Bushranger rated at 7000 kgs on Ebay for $55 and looked at the local camping shop and they had the same snatch block for $29. The winch is a T Max 9000 lbs unit mounted to a new BT50. Should I double the rating for the snatch block to the rating of the winch? I realise the 9000 lbs is only achieved on the last layer of the rope on the drum.

cam04

Side note.

Why is it called a snatch block when you don’t snatch off it
Because the side of the block opens, it can ‘snatch’ the rope in, rather than having to feed it all through from one end. It is a nautical term and has been around forever.
Snatch straps are a very new invention and entirely to blame for the confusion. They were called inertia straps first as I remember in other countries.
Yes a snatch block and terminal equipment at that end should be rated for the entire load in the system which is slightly less than 2x9000 lb in your case.

mauriceb

There are also these types for $62 .Appear to be the same as the new style ARB items at half the cost. Time also for an upgrade those 1990 snatch block a very heavy. Sorry url link is huge.
IMG_20190111_083702.jpg

Jackolux

I have seen those Ring Things before , my only concern would be every time the rope went slack it would drop out of the ring and have to be reset ,
yeah I know the same can happen with a Snatch Block and some one needs to keep a eye on it
but I think it would happen every time with a ring
If you can live with that , they look like a good thing .

cam04

I have seen those Ring Things before , my only concern would be every time the rope went slack it would drop out of the ring and have to be reset ,
yeah I know the same can happen with a Snatch Block and some one needs to keep a eye on it
Add a bit of grit and mud into the equation. Looks like a best case scenario design rather than a worst case. I tend to get stuck in ugly messy spots rather than back yards.

Biesel

Add a bit of grit and mud into the equation. Looks like a best case scenario design rather than a worst case. I tend to get stuck in ugly messy spots rather than back yards.
In on of driftas videos he tested it at Stockton in the sand. But yes like all recovery gear they are wear items not forever items.

greysrigging

I don't buy these gadgets from a 4wd shop.... who really wants to pay the ARB Tax ? ( and being an old construction rigger I don't buy them either, but can always manage to 'find' some at work.... ) In any case generally cheaper at dedicated rigging supply stores, your Nobles, Bullivants and Atom Supply type places.

Batts88

I bought 2 x 8,000kg Ridge Riders from Supercheap quite a few yrs ago when they were on sale only used one of them a few times over the yrs no problem.

Jackolux

Yeah I hear what you are saying and yes often when I have needed to Winch its usually in shitty conditions and sometimes , well it's been a few times in the dark , makes it a lot harder to keep a eye on the rigging.
If I did have a Ring Thing , I would always have normal snatch block as well , I usually carry 2 snatch blocks , maybe a Ring could replace one ( probably won't bother )

Hoyks

I think I'll stick to my steel ones.

Yes there is a significant weight saving from the alloy pulley and HDPE rope shackles for it to run on (I'm not that close to GVM to worry), but when you are reaching for a snatch block, generally you are pushing the limits and need to get more than the rated capacity from your winch. From what I've seen of the soft shackles being tested, they tend to fail just above their rated breaking strain rather than having a stated Safe Working Load, so therefore the whole setup will fail.
They also don't like grit or sharp edges, unfortunately both are present when pulling metal things through rocks and mud.
Yes, you can get ones way bigger than you need, but its easier to have 1 size that will do everything and saves getting the mixed up in the dark.

Them failing right on the limit is the last thing you want when hanging from the winch, 1/2 way up a rock step on a steep hill.

Steel snatch blocks and steel shackles will fail with a significant safety margin. The steel ones tested here broke at around 7 times their SWL

Batts88

Not sure of the size of that ring thing but you don't want any thing that's too small it adds stress also I would avoid something that creates friction regardless of how much I would get a proper snatch block then you'll be a lot safer an less likely to have something fail.

Sorry but I previously worked with lifting equipment for a lot of yrs, seen things go wrong that's a bit of a joke that vid not sure what their trying to prove it should be run under a decent load temp taken of the rope as that is the weak and vulnerable part of the set up and pics of any damage sustained by the rope. Then throw the device in the bin and not use it for vehicle recovery because it's dangerous. There will be people who have no idea and think that's good and possibly get injured it may be extreme is others eyes but it should be deleted.

Last edited:

phs

Good point and on rocky terrain you could very well gouge a sharp edge onto the roller area

Thow I do like the idea of using these with a soft shackle as it limits the amount of possible projectiles

Last edited: