• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Smoking Banned in NSW National Parks

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I think originally the thread was based on possibly banning smoking in National Parks because of the risk of starting a fire.
I know in Vic. if you are driving and see someone throw a ciggi out the car window you can report it to a hot line. That person is then sent an infringement notice and has to pay the fine unless he can disprove the action. Happened to one of my family and he paid the fine.
As far as littering, I believe that is not the object of possible ciggi bans in Parks as there is much more other litter than cigarettes.
Maybe a hot line to report litterers who would then receive an infringement notice and have to disprove that action would be good.
Also reckon that if someone makes an obvious false allegation about cigs or littering then they should cop a fine.

See that's even worse then. Stopping someone smoking because of a pre-determined assumption that they'll flick the butt or not be safe. Bloody nanny state. Maybe they should close all roads everywhere and that way there'll be no vehicle accidents too.... :p

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Nah, remember a live cigarette thrown out of a vehicle or dropped or not correctly stubbed in the bush has caused many a fire. Littering is bad but not as bad as cigarettes that may create a bushfire.
Littering is a different problem and maybe cans, bottles, equipment, clothing, nappies, plastic, rubber, etc. etc. could be controlled a little.

Blue_haired_man

Nah, remember a live cigarette thrown out of a vehicle or dropped or not correctly stubbed in the bush has caused many a fire. Littering is bad but not as bad as cigarettes that may create a bushfire.

Littering is a different problem and maybe cans, bottles, equipment, clothing, nappies, plastic, rubber, etc. etc. could be controlled a little.

Actually many more fires a caused by arsonists and natural causes such as lightning. This is nothing more than a slap in the face to those of us who actually do the right thing

Cheers Leo

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Actually many more fires a caused by arsonists and natural causes such as lightning. This is nothing more than a slap in the face to those of us who actually do the right thing

Cheers Leo
I always do the right thing so on total fire ban days I keep my fire in the bush under control.:eek:
I also am careful when using grinders and chainsaws in the bush on total fire ban days.:eek:
I am also careful when smoking in very long dry grass especially in State forests on total fire ban days.:eek:
You see, I have never started a bush fire, I am a responsible person and it's only the irresponsible people out there who cause fires.
And if my cigarette causes a fire in a State Forest or whatever and causes death and destruction, please remember that it was the only fire out of hundreds that happened.:eek:
That's the point I am trying to make. On fire ban days , there are restrictions on creating fires. I guess a lit cigarette is at risk of creating a fire in the bush. Nothing to do with littering. I did mention in one of my previous posts that a relo threw a lighted cigarette butt out of his vehicle and sorry to say it was in an area where 114 people died. He did not cause the fire but he certainly got the fine.

mikehzz

I followed a car through the Blue Mountains one night when the fires were on. They were ashing their cigs out the window and showering me with sparks. You just can't get any dumber.

muc the truck

I followed a car through the Blue Mountains one night when the fires were on. They were ashing their cigs out the window and showering me with sparks. You just can't get any dumber.
I can vouch for that , I used ride a motorbike and some ashole tossed his smoke out . it went up the arm of my parka and burned me in a few places and at 80kms per hour I had to put up with it until I could stop. he caught the lights ahead so I quickly caught him up and tossed it on his velour back seat in his Fairlane. I even turned my bike off so he could hear me tell him why. did he go nuts at me . you burnt my seat he said . I said I don't smoke that's your BUTT that burnt me all up to my armpit when you tossed it out your window , I am returning your property. he proceeded to chase me, come too close, pushed me out of my lane towards the gutter so I kicked his mirror off and nailed it. All because the retard tossed a smoke out the window and still would not accept he did it.

So with the couple experiences with butt tossers burning me and the bush I guess you could say I despise Butt sucking Butt tossers.

twisty

I know in Vic. if you are driving and see someone throw a ciggi out the car window you can report it to a hot line. That person is then sent an infringement notice and has to pay the fine unless he can disprove the action. Happened to one of my family and he paid the fine.
:eek: WTF! Guilty until proven innocent? Really? Lucky it's not being abused :rolleyes:

Swaggie

Report litter thrown from a vehicle | EPA Victoria

The reporter has to be prepared to go to court and swear under oath what he witnessed etc...

Most pay the fine tho..

ross and cher

:eek: WTF! Guilty until proven innocent? Really? Lucky it's not being abused :rolleyes:
Smokers choice to pat the fine or have his/her day in court. I have reported many and yet to have one contested (and all have been real sightings that I would be happy to go to court if required) :)

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Smokers choice to pat the fine or have his/her day in court. I have reported many and yet to have one contested (and all have been real sightings that I would be happy to go to court if required) :)
Smokers choice to toss or not toss - They define their own guilt or innocence - Totally ;)

peejaycruiser

Probably a good thing I bought a mini electronic atomizer. Be interesting to be pulled over with it and see if I get done for "smoking".:D

Ziggy

I smoke the occasional pipe. And feel like an overlooked minority. There should be a law telling me what to do with the dottle.

jeep62

So this means that people who live in national parks can not smoke out side of their home!
"show me the money"

Last edited:

Blue_haired_man

The latest NSW national parks newsletter:
The NSW Government has recently announced that smoking will be banned in all NSW national parks. The ban aims to further increase the community’s enjoyment of and safety in our parks by reducing the risk of accidental fire started by unextinguished cigarette butts, and helping to cut down on litter and exposure to passive smoking.

The smoking ban will apply to almost all areas throughout NSW national parks and reserves, including picnic areas, campgrounds, beaches, lookouts and walking tracks. The ban is already in place at Ku-ring-gai Chase and Royal national parks, and Cape Byron State Conservation Area, and will be phased in for all parks over the next 6-12 months in a staged approach from 1 February 2015.

I still don't understand why multi thousand dollar fines like wa has just introduced ($25000 for fire ban days) aren't on the table???

Cheers Leo

Batts88

So lets say you put your butts in a drink can take them away which is good but only done by a small minority then if you throw the can in the recycle bin which would be wrong because it's contaminating recyclables. So do you empty it and wash it out thoroughly or do you just put it in a regular waste bin but you're in the wrong again for not recycling the can so that could potentially get you in trouble so it's a win lose situation in some cases.

Blue_haired_man

How many national parks have recycling and general rubbish bins? Not many so there's already lots of recyclables going to landfill anyway. It's a pretty simple answer though, take an ash tray

Cheers Leo

struth

I have the answer......

Ignore this stupid new pillocks law, it really isn't worth 8 pages of stupid opinions and self righteous crap.

have a nice day now:D