Smoking Banned in NSW National Parks

ross and cher

I know that this will be next to impossible to enforce/police and I appreciate it is heavy handed and will potentially affect smokers who do the right thing and bin their butts, but hopefully it may just get the message out to those who think it is fine to drop their butts whenever and wherever they please.

A cigarette butt is no better than any other piece of litter and if lit is potentially significantly worse ...

Climbs off soap box ...

ABC News Report

russell789

Good stuff, I'd imagine it's mostly aimed at the popular easy to get to places.

Now if we can just get people to take their rubbish with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I don't smoke buy have many family and friends who do. Smokers I go bush with, butt into empty cans and take out. Maybe someone needs to come up with a good ashtray like my mother used. Push the top knob down, it opens up, drop the ciggy in. Let the knob go and it closes over, keeping everything tidy and safe.
Hope they don't bring in " No Drinking Alcohol in a National Park" being a public place.:eek:
No, surely, ciggie butts must be a fire thing.:)

Blue_haired_man

G'day
I'm a smoker who bins every butt, and this annoys the buggery out of me. I have recently purchased a yearly pass to all national parks, I wonder if they will refund the remainder of it, as I'm being excluded from visiting.

On the other hand I see the issue but it's still not right punishing everyone for the actions of idiots. I believe it also applies to local roads passing through national parks.

In my opinion raise the fine to $500 a butt because a lot of people are slow learners

Cheers Leo

abw

I don't smoke. But I don't see why people should be banned from doing so outdoors. There's too much of this nanny state stuff...when's it all going to end?

muffin man

What a great idea.
There is nothing worse than being out in the fresh air and have to smell cigarette smoke.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
G'day
I'm a smoker who bins every butt, and this annoys the buggery out of me. I have recently purchased a yearly pass to all national parks, I wonder if they will refund the remainder of it, as I'm being excluded from visiting.

On the other hand I see the issue but it's still not right punishing everyone for the actions of idiots. I believe it also applies to local roads passing through national parks.

In my opinion raise the fine to $500 a butt because a lot of people are slow learners

Cheers Leo
Good on ya Leo, not too hard taking everything out with you that is taken in . . .

Trouble with such blanket rules is the idiots that do throw their butts will STILL smoke in NPs, and STILL throw their butts, just like arbitrary speed limits doesn't stop serial speeders.

Yes, enforce current laws, and fine hell out of them, but then that's the issue isn't it ?
No feet on the ground to do it, just like less and less patrol cars on the road to catch speeders that know when to slow down for cameras.

It's the little bloke that gets the impost of the new law, not the ones causing the problems.

muc the truck

Its not the bush walkers with smoke in hand causing the fires its the fu tards driving and tossing it out the window at high speed , The cigarette burns hot with all the wind and starts a fire on impact with the dry vegetation .

Considering bushfires kill people , burn homes and cause so much emotional damage as well as collateral damage I cant understand why the fine for tossing a lit cigarette out the window is not loss of licence for a month and a $1000 fine first offence. I think its about $200 dollars which is less than texting on a mobile phone while driving .

80lover96gxl

As a smoker I don't agree with the new ruling but I do understand why its been introduced.

Personally I use empty cigi packets or drink cans to dispose of my butts, or they go in the fire if sitting around one.

ross and cher

Just had another read of the article with time and I apologise to smokers - this is in addition to current littering laws that already allow for hefty fines for tossing butts, so is unfair. If you want to smoke, your problem ...

That said, cant see rangers hiding in the bushes to enforce. What will get you is if you toss a butt eg out the window and someone sees and reports, which if you toss the butt, i hope they do....

Muc, qld fine for littering is 227 from memory, dangerous littering is double, which i believe includes LIT butts, so report and they will get the message ...

cloughcarib

With the amount of times a similar subject has come up, most know what I do with my butts.

Do I mind that it's now an offence to smoke in an NP? No.

Totally agree with the statement about fresh air. I always try to stand down wind while smoking, but sometimes, I pick it wrong.

I completely understand why it's being introduced. I despise seeing cigarette butts while I'm out in the bush at camp.

I don't think this law will change anything. The responses from smokers so far confirm that the right people do the right thing. It won't change the attitudes of the wrong people from doing the wrong thing. Unless they make the fine comparable to the replacement cost of a house AND enforce it, inconsiderate pricks will still be inconsiderate pricks.

80lover96gxl

With the amount of times a similar subject has come up, most know what I do with my butts.

Do I mind that it's now an offence to smoke in an NP? No.

Totally agree with the statement about fresh air. I always try to stand down wind while smoking, but sometimes, I pick it wrong.

I completely understand why it's being introduced. I despise seeing cigarette butts while I'm out in the bush at camp.

I don't think this law will change anything. The responses from smokers so far confirm that the right people do the right thing. It won't change the attitudes of the wrong people from doing the wrong thing. Unless they make the fine comparable to the replacement cost of a house AND enforce it, inconsiderate pricks will still be inconsiderate pricks.
Well said Clough.

03hilux

I can sort of understand the logic behind the ban, but Im sure not all litter in a NP is cigarette butts, and not all bushfires are started by lit butts.
Glass magnifying the sun is a great way to start a fire.

Maybe a better way of regulating what goes into a NP is to issue personal NP licences once a respect and common sense test is pass.

ross and cher

I can sort of understand the logic behind the ban, but Im sure not all litter in a NP is cigarette butts, and not all bushfires are started by lit butts.

Maybe a better way of regulating what goes into a NP is to issue personal NP licences once a respect and common sense test is pass.
X2 sorry but licences no butts lol

cloughcarib

Many people on here are very against the idea of fees as this is our land to explore as we wish and no fees should ever be incurred. How do you deal with them?

How do you propose that NP conducts these tests?

Do you own a.....??

Honda? ..... Fail. They're the only car manufacturer that doesn't make a 4wd!!

Everyone else have fun.

Tappet

I'm with abw on this one. It's getting out of hand. I don't smoke and this is ridiculous. It makes you wonder where it's all going to end. Take a look around the world we are turning into a nanny state but the really sad bit is- In all the wrong areas.

muc the truck

Banning smoking anywhere has always caused some backlash. Lets hope smokers just do the right thing with there butts no mater were they are . NP or not . Bush is Bush it all burns.

CatchinJack

The amount of bush fires caused by ciggy butts is VERY small and I mean small, more fires are caused by glass and campfires not put out correctly.
What bothers me is what else have they got planned, i'm sure they'd like to lock us all out of the parks, the Greens have said this before and realistically it would save the government so much money to do it, say goodbye to your quiet camp retreats.
Smokers and non smokers should unite on this matter at hand before it gets worse and we all lose out.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I remember everyone jumping up and down when pubs and clubs banned smoking. People were carrying on saying they wouldn't go any more, they would lose money etc.
We got used to it.

But I don't necessarily agree with banning an outside space. Seems crazy to me.

CatchinJack

just as bad as lockouts due to the coward punch, statistics show these assaults happened before 10pm so why a lockout? A knee jerk reaction by government without really addressing and dealing with the actual problem.
I'm still waiting to see data on this no smoking crap, for a butt to actually start a fire you need certain conditions to be ideal. More fires are started by abandoned camp fires and rubbish or natural causes such as lightning and eucalyptus self combusting.