Smartbar vs Steel bullbar

bridget

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has fittet a Smartbar to their Mux or Dmax. I'm a bit concerned about payload so would go with a Smartbar rather thsn an Tjm Outback bar..... but are the Smartbars safe enough?
Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

cam04

Very safe in the event of a proper impact. Don’t protect panels as much as steel in lower speed impact events.

Aaron Schubert

Have a think about what you want the bull bar for - in many cases they actually reduce the safety rating of a vehicle.

Your 4WD is very good at protecting the occupants even without a bullbar. The flip side of course, is when you have a smaller accident, or you hit wildlife your vehicle comes off second best.

A decent steel (or alloy bar) will take a few medium sized hits from wildlife and off road work without doing any major damage to your vehicle, and the main thing is that you can often drive home with the damage. Without a bar, the same accident might leave you waiting for a tow truck.

Smart bars are very clever, and highly rated by a lot of people. They are certainly a great option. Are you intending mounting a winch? Are they winch compatible?

Aaron

dno67

I think there a good thing, there ability to absorb some of the impact
in a lot of cases will do less damage to the vehicle than steel or alloy bar.
Weight is also something to consider, there claimed to be a bit lighter than steel.

bridget

Have a think about what you want the bull bar for - in many cases they actually reduce the safety rating of a vehicle.

Your 4WD is very good at protecting the occupants even without a bullbar. The flip side of course, is when you have a smaller accident, or you hit wildlife your vehicle comes off second best.

A decent steel (or alloy bar) will take a few medium sized hits from wildlife and off road work without doing any major damage to your vehicle, and the main thing is that you can often drive home with the damage. Without a bar, the same accident might leave you waiting for a tow truck.

Smart bars are very clever, and highly rated by a lot of people. They are certainly a great option. Are you intending mounting a winch? Are they winch compatible?

Aaron
Hi Aaron, thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. No, not interested in a whinch but I believe there is a whinch incl Smartbar model.

bridget

I think there a good thing, there ability to absorb some of the impact
in a lot of cases will do less damage to the vehicle than steel or alloy bar.
Weight is also something to consider, there claimed to be a bit lighter than steel.
Yes, makes sense, thank you!

bridget

Very safe in the event of a proper impact. Don’t protect panels as much as steel in lower speed impact events.
Good point, thanks! I guess I really have to consider if I want to take to risk to be stranded in nowhere land vs making it to the next mechanic....

2002GU3

Good point, thanks! I guess I really have to consider if I want to take to risk to be stranded in nowhere land vs making it to the next mechanic....
Hi Bridget, welcome to earth, I think what bar you get depends on where you want to take your car, if you intend on going outback/bush a lot a steel bar would be best, if only going local/beach occasionally type stuff the smart bar would probably do.

Tink

That Smartbar is pretty ugly on the Dmax. As ARB now own Smartbar, the quality and warranty should be good.
Tink

bridget

Thanks guys, all good thoughts. I've seen a photo of the Smartbar on a Mux and I agree with Tink, it's bloody ugly.
Re 2002GU3 comments: The issue I have is that we plan to do regular weekends in the bush and a few longer outback trips in the next years but the Mux will also have to be our city car. So parking, Pedestrian Safety etc are also considerations....

dno67

That Smartbar is pretty ugly on the Dmax. As ARB now own Smartbar, the quality and warranty should be good.
Tink
I do agree there are some ugly models, they have come a long way from the early models and there sunglasses for cars look.