Sleeping in a 2007 Nissan Patrol?

Robbie_P

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this was the correct place to post this question..

I am going for a quick one night camp this weekend and wanted to experiment with sleeping in my 2007 Nissan Patrol, which still have the back seats.

The setup needs to be temporary, so i was thinking along the lines of getting a sheet of weather proof wood (as it would go on my racks, MDF wouldnt last in the rain!), raising the middle section (between the backseats) with something (not sure yet!), then lying the wood down with a self inflating mattress.

Would there be a better way of doing this? Any ideas as to what i could use to raise the area between the back seats so its level with the folded down middle seats?

Thanks!
Robbie

Attachments

• sleep.jpg
    sleep.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 703

CaptainBanana

I can suggest you use plywood as it's reasonably water-resistance but beyond that it will simply be a case of jigging it up with whatever you like. Depending on the folded height of the seats you could use milk crates or boxes or anything you like. The Patrol is not as long in the back as you might think so depends how tall you are, also gets very foggy inside a car and with the windows down it can get very cold. Don't forget you'll need to put your stuff somewhere if it's not inside the car.

Robbie_P

Planning to get a piece of ply (1800mm x 750mm), sitting on top of 2x collapsible crates. Should be a comfy sleep with a camping mat (to protect mattress) and a 100mm self inflating mattress.

CaptainBanana

A piece of plywood on its own can cost more than a cheap tent or swag so I'm also wondering why go to all the trouble.

Last edited:

Robbie_P

The group im traveling with, in my car, has a swag (wife and kids) and cheap tent (my dad).

I can actually fold forward the middle seats, rear seats and comfortably fit an air mattress (no crates of ply required).

Dont want to buy another tent or swag just for the sake of it, especially for a quick one night camp.

Robbie_P

Folded down the seats, put a mattress down.. super comfy (no ply and crates required)

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 2,639

CameronAlsop

I also have a Nissan Patrol, but mine is from 2011, I don't use this car every day. I am a man that works in the office and loves to go fishing, hunting, or even camping. Every time I was sleeping in a tent, I hated the nights because I couldn't sleep normally. Now when I go fishing I always bring my car with me. The back seats are closing and you can make a big bed from the baggage section. I bought myself a mattress a very comfortable blanket and a pillow. Now sleeping in nature isn't a problem anymore. The main problem is that sometimes I want to be closer to nature.

Last edited: