Simpson Geo Centre and Geo Surveys Hill

Lost1?

Hope so. I could see rain falling to the west today. Drove through a brief shower.near Marla. Has just started to sprinkle as I finish this msg.

stevemc181

Cheers for the updates,I’ve anticipated there might be some slow going. Will also be giving Ilkurlka a call a day before we head off, I’m not sure if they’ve had much rain out there, but not keen on crossing serpentine lakes if it’s wet.

Will proceed with caution for sure.

stevemc181

I had a chat to the Rob at Ilkulrka roadhouse today, he reckons no worries at Serpentine lakes, they have had bugger all rain since March. Keen as to get going now. The road out to the painted desert is still closed, so I'll play it by ear, still another 9 days before we get there.

CTL

Big rain forecast for most of Qld next week from Tuesday to the weekend. Hope it doesn’t impact the centre also

CTL

Here is a photo from Windy posted by Higgins

1651736265489.png

muffin man

I had a chat to the Rob at Ilkulrka roadhouse today, he reckons no worries at Serpentine lakes, they have had bugger all rain since March. Keen as to get going now. The road out to the painted desert is still closed, so I'll play it by ear, still another 9 days before we get there.
a group i know did the abh after easter...dry and overgrown. expect scratching and plenty of tree stakes on the track to be wary off.

stevemc181

a group i know did the abh after easter...dry and overgrown. expect scratching and plenty of tree stakes on the track to be wary off.
Yep, I’ve done the ABH multiple times, was more concerned with the Serpentine lakes section, it’s not something I’d like to cross after rain.

sharkcaver

Small world it is. Managed to bump into Steve in Menzies yesterday so we camped up for the night at Niagra Dam. Steve is now headed for the ABH. Have a great trip fellas, wish i could join ya. You are in for a treat, the night sky atm is awesome
IMG_20220508_090048_090.jpg

Last edited:

stevemc181

Small world it is. Managed to bump into Steve in Menzies yesterday so we camped up for the night at Niagra Dam. Steve is now headed for the ABH. Have a great trip fellas, wish i could join ya. You are in for a treat, the night sky atm is awesome
About 10km away from Laverton now, a quick fuel up and then onto the ABH.
Was a great catch up last night! Stay safe and hope you find some Yella!

stevemc181

Just arrived in Coober Pedy after an awesome trip across the ABH! Perfect weather and No Flies!
Followed a couple of camels for 40+ minutes though!

Managed to bust a stone guard on one of my rear shocks, but one of the locals in CP is going to tack it back together for us!

I haven’t had a chance yet to check out flood conditions for the Simmo part of the trip though.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just arrived in Coober Pedy after an awesome trip across the ABH! Perfect weather and No Flies!
Followed a couple of camels for 40+ minutes though!

Managed to bust a stone guard on one of my rear shocks, but one of the locals in CP is going to tack it back together for us!

I haven’t had a chance yet to check out flood conditions for the Simmo part of the trip though.
Leaving early in the morning to reach Oodnadatta or in that region by tomorrow night via Coober Pedy as I think the track is probably a bit slow due to recent rains.

"
Mt Dare - Hamilton Exercise Caution reduce speed at detour where road is reduced down to one lane. No overtaking or passing along Detour. Oodnadatta Track - Marla to Oodnadatta Caution at washouts, creek crossings and narrow sections
Oodnadatta Track - William Creek to Marree - Caution at creek crossings, ponded water, soft sections and wheel rutting. Section south of William Creek - caution at deep gutters. Road crews are operating in the area - proceed with caution
Oodnadatta - Coober Pedy (Kempe Road) Caution at detours, ponded water, soft sections and creek crossings. NOTE: Reconstruction and sealing works in progress at the end of the existing bitumen near Coober Pedy. Traffic restrictions will be in place - proceed with caution.

Looking forward to it

stevemc181

Leaving early in the morning to reach Oodnadatta or in that region by tomorrow night via Coober Pedy as I think the track is probably a bit slow due to recent rains.

"
Mt Dare - Hamilton Exercise Caution reduce speed at detour where road is reduced down to one lane. No overtaking or passing along Detour. Oodnadatta Track - Marla to Oodnadatta Caution at washouts, creek crossings and narrow sections
Oodnadatta Track - William Creek to Marree - Caution at creek crossings, ponded water, soft sections and wheel rutting. Section south of William Creek - caution at deep gutters. Road crews are operating in the area - proceed with caution
Oodnadatta - Coober Pedy (Kempe Road) Caution at detours, ponded water, soft sections and creek crossings. NOTE: Reconstruction and sealing works in progress at the end of the existing bitumen near Coober Pedy. Traffic restrictions will be in place - proceed with caution.

Looking forward to it
Sounds like a plan! I’ve had the shock stone guard repaired, and we’re good to go.

Cant say I’m impressed with the Thuraya Sat Phone I bought, it won’t connect to the network for the past two days even with 5 bars! Back to an iridium phone for next trip I think. I rang the provider ( Pivotel) and they weren’t any help.

Lost1?

Checked Mt Dare and state govt road websites. All roads are passable for 4wd. There was some light rain over the last couple of days in the catchment areas that feed into the area. Nothing that will affect us thought. Will be at Mt Dare by about lunchtime on 14th. See you there.