Simpson Geo Centre and Geo Surveys Hill

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Sounds good, I'll make sure I've got my 4x4 Earth Shirt on as well ;)
Hopefully we don't have any drama's being able to cross state borders by then!
I reckon you will be alright getting into SA but you may have an issue getting back in to WA but who knows what will happen by that time
 

stevemc181

Well-Known Member
I'll probably give it a month or so and apply for permits, see how the situation in West Australiastan pans out, and if there is going to be any difficulty crossing state borders or entering aboriginal land etc. Hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue by May.

Anyone else keen to join in on this trip?
 

Lost1?

Well-Known Member
The problem I see for you is getting home after the trip. WA seem ultra cautious.
I suppose with the amount of small communities with limited medical infrastructure I can understand why. Regional communities have seen a bit of covid now. So not sure they will close down. For me getting through SA will be the challenge if omicron surges as the temps drop in Melbourne in April. See how it goes.
 

callmejoe

Well-Known Member
I'll probably give it a month or so and apply for permits, see how the situation in West Australiastan pans out, and if there is going to be any difficulty crossing state borders or entering aboriginal land etc. Hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue by May.

Anyone else keen to join in on this trip?

Actually we are highly considering. 50/50, and keenly watching. Centre Oz touring is a area we haven't managed to get much of yet, we're well travelled throu. We have a new Navara which needs a good "outing". Shock to the system coming from a Y62 patrol.
We usually tow the camper so we also need to re assess our set up for a trip like this.

This WA entry border crap is also 1 of my issue for work, as I very much doubt by May much would have changed.
 

stevemc181

Well-Known Member
Actually we are highly considering. 50/50, and keenly watching. Centre Oz touring is a area we haven't managed to get much of yet, we're well travelled throu. We have a new Navara which needs a good "outing". Shock to the system coming from a Y62 patrol.
We usually tow the camper so we also need to re assess our set up for a trip like this.

This WA entry border crap is also 1 of my issue for work, as I very much doubt by May much would have changed.
Good to hear you’re considering coming along. I’d be forgetting the camper for the offtrack section at least. Could always leave it at Mt Dare and pick it up on the way back?

Yes, we will have to play it by ear for a month or two and see how the covid border/permit system develops and then make the call.
 

callmejoe

Well-Known Member
Yeh we be looking at doing something like that. It'll more depend on how much time we take off. High tail it down doing a quicker trip or take more time and get another trip in while we are at it. We have towed plenty, and well rehearsed in that area, but low engine power and sandy conditions aren't favourable at all.
 

discomatt

Moderator
Yeh we be looking at doing something like that. It'll more depend on how much time we take off. High tail it down doing a quicker trip or take more time and get another trip in while we are at it. We have towed plenty, and well rehearsed in that area, but low engine power and sandy conditions aren't favourable at all.
Easy fix, take extra time and buy another Patrol ;)
 

stevemc181

Well-Known Member
Still no change on the WA border front, but hopefully things change before May.

Had a few dramas with my Patrol, she’s blown a turbo and I’ve decided to go for some power mods instead of replacing the factory turbo.

Can’t believe the trouble I’m having to get work on it completed by mid April. It seems like none of the workshops want to take my money, as they can’t be bothered returning my requests for quotes. Damn frustrating!

Trying to get someone to drop out the transmission and get the torque converter modded along with a heavy duty flex plate. Hopefully will have it all done with enough time to make sure there are no issues prior to our trip in May. Been 2 weeks of frustration now!
 

discomatt

Moderator
not good timing with the turbo, all workshops, in fact all tradies full stop are booked for months so good luck getting it sorted in time, it might be a blessing and push the trip back a bit to let WA wake up to reality and join the rest of the country again.
As far as completing major repairs and mods right before a big trip no way would I do that, I don't have that much faith in mechanics so always get work done at least a month or so before a trip so it gives me time to drive it and check their work so nothing falls off while away
 

Lost1?

Well-Known Member
I had a weeping turbo seal on mine. Ordered a new one with billet compressor slightly large than stock and a non standard turbine to offset any potential lag from the larger compressor wheel. Took over a month to turn up as they had to order the turbine wheel to assemble what I wanted. At 2700kg before I load up for a trip and with 33" tyres I really need to fatten up the torque curve a bit.

Supply chains are under pressure, closing state borders means more pressure on local workforces to support FIFO in your part of the world as interstate people struggle to get back in to work. We are losing engineers at an alarming rate at work. There is a bit of coin being thrown around to entice new staff to move so companies can support the infrastructure projects in Melbourne.

Glad I got my HD clutch during lockdown 2. I will be doing a 3 day shake down in Big Desert next month after everything is completed.
 

stevemc181

Well-Known Member
I’ve been trying to find the source of a weird sound for a few weeks and finally discovered the compressor wheel has a lot of play in it and looks like it’s been scraping the housing. The turbo and retune is booked for the 4th April.

I’ll have the new intercooler and larger intake system with front mount intercooler here in the next 2-3 weeks and will do the install myself.

My main problem at the moment is with upgrading the transmission with a heavy duty valve body/flex plate and torque converter to handle the increased torque.

Hopefully I’ve got a quote coming back tomorrow for fitting the required parts. I know I can get all parts required for the auto upgrade within 6 weeks, it’s just getting someone to do the job, as I’m not keen to drop the auto out while laying on the ground at home.

So long as I can get it all done with a few weeks to spare, this will give me a chance to do a couple of long hard runs and make sure all is good.
 

Lost1?

Well-Known Member
Same here Steve. No way I am doing the clutch at home. Not enough time and to bloody heavy pulling a gearbox and T/case when flat on your back in the garage.
 

stevemc181

Well-Known Member
The good news is that I've got the transmission upgrade side of things booked in for a couple of weeks time, the Turbo and retune with an Alphatec piggy back ecu happens on the 4th/5th April possibly earlier. So this gives me a month to sort out any problems if they arise. Should be all good to go :)
 

stevemc181

Well-Known Member
I've now applied for a permit for the Madigan Line and also for the permits we'll need for the Anne Beadell on the way over from Perth. I'll hold off on buying the desert parks pass until I'm positive it's all happening, (weather/covid/vehicle) dependent at the moment. I hate the fact they extort us into buying an annual desert parks pass @ $178.00, when in all likelihood it is only required for a few days transit/camping.
 

muffin man

Well-Known Member
I've now applied for a permit for the Madigan Line and also for the permits we'll need for the Anne Beadell on the way over from Perth. I'll hold off on buying the desert parks pass until I'm positive it's all happening, (weather/covid/vehicle) dependent at the moment. I hate the fact they extort us into buying an annual desert parks pass @ $178.00, when in all likelihood it is only required for a few days transit/camping.
Do you even need the SA desert pass if doing the Madigan ?
 

stevemc181

Well-Known Member
Ah bugger. Alot wouldn't bother given you're only in SA for a handful of k's.
The issue with that though is Murphy's law, I'm covered for remote recovery, but only if I'm legally allowed to be there. I'd hate to have something occur in the area where I require a permit and don't have one. It's not worth the risk to me, but it still sucks they don't do a weekly type permit.
 
Top