Simpson Desert Trip Easter 2014 Trip Report

Chard

4x4 Earth Contributer
Good read Bart. Really enjoyed it and like the others, I have relived my two crossings. Fuel was $2.20 at Mt. Dare and Coward Springs in 2012 so not a huge difference. The BT seems to have been sipping the go-juice quite gentleman-like unlike my chariot that has shooters and plays skull games.:eek:

Nothing wrong with checking the lakes. Although not up the Binns Track, this was at the corner of WAA and Knolls Track(AAK), the failed attempt resulted in a 3hr detour.

hiluxdriver

Allrightie, finished the novel... It is big and lots of pages, it is mainly for ourselves as with my memory in about 10 years it will be a whole new adventure all over.. :)

Once again, thanks to all, we had a ball....

The Desert Trip, Part 1

The Desert Trip, Part 2

Very entertaining and good read Bart. Great to see the car did so well with no damage. Interesting why you lock the car in the middle of no where though? Or does it just lock automatically? Was there anything you took, that you wish you hadn't? And anything you didn't take you wish you did?

Aside from the Cape trip next year, a mate of mine has indicated he wants to go to the Birdsville races next year. If another desert Earth trip happens to coincide with this then that will see me doing cartwheels.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Barts vehicle locked automatically and his usual spare key was in the cab (from its usual hiding spot outside) due to the muddy conds early on.
I believe it doesn't normally lock by itself in the situation it did.

Talk to workhorse75 about the races plan, he should be in town at that time and be able to give you some info.
Lots of places to camp on the river, but with ~ 7000 people going there it would be a pretty big thing to get a good spot, arrive early I reckon.
I feel most accom at the cara pk and pub would be booked out way in advance, the cara pk for camping etc too.

Personally, unless I'm specifically going to BV for the races, I'd avoid that time to do a crossing like the plague.
Then I'd try and hook up the 3 races of the Desert Race Carnival (I think it's Betoota fist, then BV, then Bedourie) to make a trifecta trip of it.

muffin man

Enjoyed the read.
Not sure why you didn't get a beer in William Ck, we were also there on Good Friday and the bar was open. Maybe you were to early.
We finished up wandering over to the cafe for a feed and the food is excellent at the moment and well priced for it's location.
Go the beef burger.
MM

mac_man_luke

Enjoyed the read.
Not sure why you didn't get a beer in William Ck, we were also there on Good Friday and the bar was open. Maybe you were to early.
We finished up wandering over to the cafe for a feed and the food is excellent at the moment and well priced for it's location.
Go the beef burger.
MM

Wouldn't sell beer without a meal - was before lunch though.

BarKer

Very entertaining and good read Bart. Great to see the car did so well with no damage. Interesting why you lock the car in the middle of no where though? Or does it just lock automatically? Was there anything you took, that you wish you hadn't? And anything you didn't take you wish you did?

Aside from the Cape trip next year, a mate of mine has indicated he wants to go to the Birdsville races next year. If another desert Earth trip happens to coincide with this then that will see me doing cartwheels.

The trifecta of horse races.. what a perfect combination.. I know you have been talking about the races, but if you are all the way out there, you might as well go across..

The car locked itself, the last time we locked it before that was back at Broken Hill. Simply, it should not lock itself without the keys, it will re-lock if locked, then unlocked and the doors are not opened.. Mazda have hooked their computer into car and it came up with a Body Control Module error, it is going back this week for some more investigating.

We took heatbeads to cook on as they are nice and easy. However, we didn't use them and with all the movement in the tray the bags ruptured and we had heatbeads everywhere, of course the beads also got crushed therefore we also had black sooty grindy paste everywhere.. I was not happy..

We took too much water and diesel. Obviously you need that safety factor, but in a convoy this big the risk of running out of diesel, or getting stuck for 2 weeks without water was slim..

We managed the food and the fridge pretty well, but we are buying 2 Engels so that will make life easier as we can run one as a freezer so we can have a bit more variety..

I saw Bernie's iPad setup and that was good, we got a new iPad at home but didn't take it, next time we will. Navigating by ourselves was interesting at times as we mainly used papermaps therefore had to stop etc, but then we both got an input to which way we were going., still used to Garmin Etrex to log a GPS track everyday tho..

In all honesty, I can't think of anything that got the "Doh!! forgot the..." so we did well there..

The 2 swags worked really well, I was thinking of towing the camper for the Cape trip but as we are traveling each day for us the Swags are the go.

Buxter

Les PK Ranger

Nice Pics Buddy
Did it, French Line in 05, and Innamincka, Walkers Crossing, and the Plenty Highway in 06

Still a beautiful place
Cheers for the memories
Buxter

Buxter

We are doing the Beadell Family run in about 7 weeks time, (mid July to end of August)
ie.....The Anne Baedell, the Connie Sue, The Gary, Sandy Blight Road, and maybe back out on the Mulga Park Road..and a few other bits and pieces thrown in for good luck;)
Can't Wait !

Almost finished "corrugation proofing" the Mighty Poootrol, after some major engine enhancements, over the last couple of years.

All Permits are in, and now the food and bits and pieces build up is happening

Cheers
Buxter

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
That's a good run :)
Is that an organised trip ?
Or just covering a lot of the Beadell tracks ?

Suppose run tyres pressures low (as low as the conditions / turns / speed / load will allow) to provide a bit better ride.

Last edited:

Buxter

Les
We are experienced Desert Travelers. We just work out where we want to go, then do it.
It's my turn to organize things, this time, and always open to "PLAN B", or a "WHAT IF ? situation rolls along, on a daily basis.
We travel with another couple, from Birchip, of similar age, and interests.
Everything is easy going.

Tyre pressures
I go down as low as 12 psi, Ray goes down to 18 psi. Funnily enough, we both run BFG At's
We both have Campers. We have a Trak Shak, and Viv & Ray have a Kimberley.
We all enjoy remote travel, but these tracks are really not remote, any more.
Speed, is not an issue, we just drive to the conditions.
Its amazing just how easy the runs in the Desert is, if you have done "ALL your homework."
I am in the middle of double checking everything, and final Vehicle and camper preparation.

Cheers
Buxter

puzzle

Hi Buxter ,if you don't mind me asking , curious to know what you have done to your patrol for Corrugation proofing ?
Cheers

peterabbf

Hi Buxter ,if you don't mind me asking , curious to know what you have done to your patrol for Corrugation proofing ?
Cheers

the only way you can corrugation proof a patrol is to purchase a Toyota Landcruiser of description I do believe....:D:D:D

puzzle

Funny peterabbf ...... if I wanted a Toyota I would have bought one ....so what constructive thought do you have in mind now ??

Cheers Pina

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
We are doing the Beadell Family run in about 7 weeks time, (mid July to end of August)
ie.....The Anne Baedell, the Connie Sue, The Gary, Sandy Blight Road, and maybe back out on the Mulga Park Road..and a few other bits and pieces thrown in for good luck;)
Can't Wait !

Almost finished "corrugation proofing" the Mighty Poootrol, after some major engine enhancements, over the last couple of years.

All Permits are in, and now the food and bits and pieces build up is happening

Cheers
Buxter

Just did the Gary, Heather & Gunbarrel the best section was the bottom end of Heather where I sat on 100KPH the others well...

Make sure you take Left & Right handed gloves for the spinifex - I bought a brand new pair of Left & Left handed gloves :mad: Got a bit of spinifex in my finger and it got infected and had to pull out the Antibiotics that I had on board.

Here's a game for you, count the number of dead cars on the APY lands section of the Gunbarrel :eek::D:D:D

cheers

Ziggy

Thanks for the TR Bart. Good reading & info for the 2015 venture.

What brand of shock did you trash can I ask?

Buxter

Corrugation Proofing ?
Me and my big mouth (but here we go)
Personally I don't think it is possible, but by going over things 2 or 3 times I recon I have most of it covered.

What I try and do is to lock out, cable tie, everything that can rub, or bump together.
Since our last trip in 2011, to Cape York, I have added a bigger Turbo, and a Cross Country Inter-cooler, so there has been lots of new pipes, ect added, and lots to tie together.
I have gone back over every lead, cooling pipe, oil pipe, and added outside cover hoses, and cluster tied them all up, and then some.
All light and indicator fittings, and as many exposed nuts, and bolts as I can see.

The corrugations on the Heather, and Parts of the Gunbarrell, and the Canning were so bad last tile that We used electrical tape to tie up the Indicator and Wiper Stalk to the the steering column.

It was in the Canning (on the Nth side of Well 33, that the welds on my Long range fuel tank fractured, only to spray about 80 Lts of Diesel @ $3.20/Lt, on the Road. At least it settled the dust for a couple of days.
The only other damage was to my Mirrors, as they rattle like anything, these days, and may well get replaced when we get back.

Our Trak Shak, Camper Trailer, just keeps going, and I just have to make sure that the seals are working before we leave.

Cheers Bucky