Simpson Desert Trip Easter 2014 Trip Report

BarKer

Great trip report, bit more of a story than mine :)

Yeah, but you are young and I am old and my memory is not what it used to be, I have to write it all down or else I'll forget :)

Nah Les, it was the dune I tried to get up about 4 times, got bogged, had to dig myself out and then take the easy way only to hear you went up first go.. :eek:

mac_man_luke

Well, there's certainly talk of another run, before the 12 month passes expire !!
East - West on French Line, 3 days, plus fun going up and back.
Not sure when, probably needs to be by end August to beat the heat.

September is quite a popular month so id think you could push it as far as early october.

As much as id love to i think id struggle to get another trip in this year but will be pushing for next year.

Believe there is a discount on renewals but no idea how much.

mills63

Would love to do it again but will need to do it in the school holidays.
Term1 Term2 Term3 Term4
2014 28 Jan - 11 Apr 28 April - 4 Jul 21 Jul - 26 Sep 13 Oct - 12 Dec
2015 27 Jan - 10 Apr 27 Apr - 3 Jul 20 Jul - 25 Sep 12 Oct - 11 Dec
DECD Customer Information
This may work for others also.

Thanks
Steve

80lover96gxl

I think we might have a plan there, wonder whom else would be interested?? after trip last week if gives us a better idea of what is involved with making the crossing.

Peter A.

Hey Pete, id be no good for this year unfortunately but could be up for a mid year run accross next year.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
We're going across on the 6th July - double crossing as bike support

If you are looking at next year late August may tie in with the Birdsville Races which is an awesome, non sober event - don't get caught drinking & driving that weekend! But it's not conducive to doing an East - West crossing from Birdsville just before the Race as there is a steady influx of crazy people coming in from the West.

If big crowds aren't your thing then best go early August, the sand can be a lot different due to the heat drying it out and making it very soft. But it is still awesome as you all know.

I'd be in for a crossing next year - just love the Simpson

cheers

mac_man_luke

We're going across on the 6th July - double crossing as bike support

If you are looking at next year late August may tie in with the Birdsville Races which is an awesome, non sober event - don't get caught drinking & driving that weekend! But it's not conducive to doing an East - West crossing from Birdsville just before the Race as there is a steady influx of crazy people coming in from the West.

If big crowds aren't your thing then best go early August, the sand can be a lot different due to the heat drying it out and making it very soft. But it is still awesome as you all know.

I'd be in for a crossing next year - just love the Simpson

cheers

Id have thought the sand would have been at its softest in april? rather than august?

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Id have thought the sand would have been at its softest in april? rather than august?

Would be, should be, but like everything depends on the weather, August is starting to get quite warm and the traffic starts to cut up the tracks so any sand covering is not settled, as I believe it is when the tracks are opened up, but lightly blown over. We found August 2009 to be really dead & dry, but in 2010 it was quite firm given rains which filled Eyre Creek and Lake Nappanerica, as such we had a bit of a play in the harder / higher dunes before Big Red.

2012 was a relative walk in the park as the sand was "wet" and then even wetter after the skies opened up.

Eyre Creek
Eyre Creek.jpg

Lake Nappanerica
Lake Nappanerica.jpg

I am aware of others that did the crossing early and they were getting bogged in the salt lakes and if I recall correctly the one & only Dave Cox (Mt Dare) was also challenged on an early crossing.

cheers

Last edited:

billolga

As said before the weather is the biggest problem & the only thing that worries me is Eyre Creek & the salt lakes. I don't give a damn how soft the sand is as it's more fun when it's really soft, not to mention you get a better ride.

Because of the distance across you can cross Eyre Creek up to your headlights & have the rest dry.

You can plan your crossing to the Nth degree & turn up at Birdsville & it's closed, it's the chance we have to take.

One year I headed for Birdsville & had not planned on crossing but when it opened Olga said "It's shorter across the Simpson than the way you planned" (A VERY convincing argument I thought):cool::D , so away we went the next day.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
As said before the weather is the biggest problem & the only thing that worries me is Eyre Creek & the salt lakes. I don't give a damn how soft the sand is as it's more fun when it's really soft, not to mention you get a better ride.

Because of the distance across you can cross Eyre Creek up to your headlights & have the rest dry.

You can plan your crossing to the Nth degree & turn up at Birdsville & it's closed, it's the chance we have to take.

One year I headed for Birdsville & had not planned on crossing but when it opened Olga said "It's shorter across the Simpson than the way you planned" (A VERY convincing argument I thought):cool::D , so away we went the next day.

Yep, I believe that's why they recommend taking enough fuel to go back

Mate you hit the jackpot with Olga, Very smart lady indeed ;)

cheers

mac_man_luke

As said before the weather is the biggest problem & the only thing that worries me is Eyre Creek & the salt lakes. I don't give a damn how soft the sand is as it's more fun when it's really soft, not to mention you get a better ride..

Id agree with that, nothing better than super soft sand.

Wouldn't mind a trip with some moisture around eyre creek etc (but not impassable!)

True about the planning. 2 weeks before our crossing it looked like it was going to be super dry and 45ºC during the day. Then the rain came the week previous and all the roads ended up shut till 3 days before we were due to leave!

muffin man

I'm guessing the Simpson has got into your blood like mine and others as well.
Your back 5 mins and plans are under way to go again.
MM

mac_man_luke

Certainly has - amazing place and only saw a portion of it, in one moment of time. Can see how 2 crossings could be completely different.

Its probably also one off the easier trips logistics wise for south australians. 5 or 6 days is easily enough for a crossing with a smaller group if you don't want to stop at all the sites on the way up and back.

billolga

I'm guessing the Simpson has got into your blood like mine and others as well.
Your back 5 mins and plans are under way to go again.
MM

They hardly got the trip report out than there going again.:D There is no turning back your bitten by the bug.:cool:
(My Avitar is on the QAA line)

peterabbf

They hardly got the trip report out than there going again.:D There is no turning back your bitten by the bug.:cool:
(My Avitar is on the QAA line)

Guys, its a bit like the Cape, been there done that, need to go back one day, that's for sure, the Simo was more than I expected, would have liked to done the hole trip with the group, but time was short for me, so next trip, wont be so rushed, but you can do a trip up and back from Adelaide in 6 days, a couple of big drive days, but its doable..

Bill, you are right, bitten by the Simo bug for sure.