Change background image

Simpson Desert Must Haves

Discussion in 'Information For Newbies' started by nico87, May 12, 2017.

1. nico87

nico87 New Member

Hi All,

In a couple of weeks my partner and i are heading into desert for a few weeks and have been collecting things to take with us. In terms of recovery equipment we have the following:
    Snatch Strap
    Rated shackles
    Rated recovery points on the car
    Recovery trax
    Bottle Jack and jack pad
    Compressor/tyre gauge
    Tyre repair kit
    Shovel
    2 spare tyres
    Haynes car manual
    Tool box with socket set, screwdrivers, hammer, shifters, multigrips, duct tape, cable ties, rope.
    7 x 20L of diesel jerrys between two cars

We will get the car serviced thoroughly before we leave but I often hear of people taking spare shocks etc and whilst im relatively handy with tools im no mechanic so feel that maybe a bit extreme for us. So would anybody have any hints on what else to take based on their experiences and what we could realistically expect to get damaged or not.

Thank you
    Dan

2. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, I have done a shock in the Simpson with my previous vehicle and have a spare permanently mounted up on my chassis rail as a just in case with my current one but just the same I don't think I would bother carrying a spare one if you are already pretty well loaded and your current ones are in good condition
    Weight is your enemy on those sort of trips so don't take anything you can do without. I took two spares the first time out there but the last seven or eight times there have only carried one and a good repair kit. I do run light truck tyres though.
    It is not a difficult trip to do as long as you take it steady so as not to break anything,

Do you have a UHF and a sat phone or PLB to take with you as well?

3. nico87

nico87 New Member

The shocks and springs were only put in about a month ago as part of a 40mm lift. They had a solid run out last weekend but as requested by iron man were taken in this week and they gave them the ok. I thought we would only do major damage like that if we were really having a crack but i plan on taking it easy.

Our travelling partner will be taking the 2nd spare and the fuel in the ute and we will be taking the swags/clothing etc so we shouldnt be too weighed down.

We have a uhf and a sat phone for the trip.

Albynsw likes this.
  4. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

I reckon the above are nearly as important if not more so, than all the others. If you really need to be recovered.

Col.

PS Sorry Dan I see you have Sat phone etc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
    Albynsw likes this.
  5. Blue_haired_man

Blue_haired_man Well-Known Member

G'day dan
    Self amalgamating tape. Bloody great stuff for hoses.
    Cheers Leo

Bomber2012 likes this.
  6. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Don't have the car serviced close to the departure date. It's amazing how many trips are ruined because you are in the middle of nowhere and the mechanic has missed something stupid like not doing something up tight enough or whatever causing a breakdown. Have it serviced and drive it for a week to make sure all is ok before you go.
    You missed emergency comms.

7. oldlux

oldlux Well-Known Member

Hi Nico, I agree with everything Alby had to say and would like to ad a couple of meters of soft fencing wire as it is great for any bush mechanics repairs. Seen it used to hold a chassis together, any amount of exhaust repairs, can even be used to fashion hose clamps from and any number of other tasks.

Jaye, Mr Rum, 80lover96gxl and 2 others like this.
  8. nico87

nico87 New Member

Ok, all suggestions have been added and greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

9. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Spare fuses for vehicle, UHF, fridge etc.
    A few self taping screws of various lengths. Don't go overboard.
    Spare headlight bulbs. Corrugations can play havoc with bulbs.
    I carry a spare fuel filter and spare air filter.
    A spare or two, tyre valves. If you deflate and lose one in the sand, you are stuffed.
    A cheap 6x4 tarp to lie on in the dirt if you have to do repairs.

Have fun
    Tink

Beever and 80lover96gxl like this.
  10. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Sand flag. Desert parks pass.

Jaye and Albynsw like this.
  11. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

TAKE TIME ! and plenty of it, :)

boobook, Jaye and Mr Rum like this.
  12. Mickkk

Mickkk Active Member

I take spare hoses, belts and filters. Terrain tamer do good kits for most makes. Quite often I will at least blow out my air filter if not change it on trips when driving in convoys. I have a tube of kneed it, saved me once (not in desert tho). Fuses, (including one in fridge) then also a spare fridge lead. I have a small bottle of this gold stuff, I can't remember the same if it, but apparently it's the bomb for fixing holes in radiators, haven't used it.
    Best bit of advice is to look under your truck every few days, and listen to it. Drive for a section with no radio on and window down. Get used to how is sounds, and if anything is different.
    Probably a bit over board, but I take cordless drill/ driver, grinder, a selection of tex screws and self drilling screws. Also a small bit of angle and flat plate. Over board yes. But needed it all on my last Simpson trip when we had a camper trailer in our group have catastrophic chassis failure. Got it back to Birdsville, (just wish I took a few extra blades)
    The most likely our come is you won't need any of it. But nice to have it just in case. Find somewhere out the way, and an area that you problem wouldn't put stuff as far forward, under seats, behind rear seat. Doesn't matter if it's a pain to get to, as I said you most likely won't need it. But it's a god send when you need it.

Beever and nico87 like this.
  13. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

check your insurance covers you for remote area breakdown (not collision) recovery. I changed to Club4x4 for this.
    Couple of wire coat hangers never go astray.
    Get the strongest Gaffe tape you can buy
    If you have a lift or larger tyres, make sure you check you bottle jack is long enough

nico87 likes this.
  14. Jason Watt

Jason Watt Member

Adequate drinking water is essential.

nick boab and mac_man_luke like this.
  15. nick boab

nick boab New Member

when we do trip like this , keeping the weight down to a minimum , pack smart , enjoy the drive :)
    SAND FLAG & UHF channel 10 is a MUST imo .... you will want to know when someone is coming the other way :eek::eek:
    GPS traveling map is handy to know where you are & where the on coming vehicle are
    your bottle jack might not be the best option in the sand /dunes :oops: saying that you'd unlucky to get in the flat
    whilst in the desert drive careful & sensible .... it cost BIG $$$$ for recovery .
    good luck