Change background image

Simpson advice - fuel

Discussion in 'Trips' started by Zamunda, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

G'day everyone,

Some mates and I are planning to do the Simpson in June. The idea is to travel from Mt Dare to Birdsville taking the French line. Since this will be the first time for us, we are gathering as much information from as possible.

We will be in three LC 80s (two Diesel and one 4.5 petrol) and a GU (Diesel). For the stretch from Mt Dare to Birdsville what would you suggest we carry in diesel and petrol per vehicle (vehicle tanks + jerry cans)?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. muffin man

muffin man Well-Known Member

For petrol 200ish and probably use around 150ish.

80lover96gxl and billolga like this.
  3. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

I work on 120 ltrs of diesel from Mt Dare in a GU Patrol with plenty of spare for diversions depending on the weather etc.
    West to East is the easyist way.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  4. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

I have a 80 turbo 1hz did the desert last year, had both standard tanks full plus two Jerries, did 600+ ks, didn't need the jerries and sold the diesel to someone in a f150,

80lover96gxl likes this.
  5. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

My old mans 1fzfe 80 manual did the French line on less than the fuel in his tanks. He used less than my 3.0 crd auto Colorado. Throw a couple of jerries in as hail Mary's and you'll be covered. Auto will use a fair bit more.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  6. billolga

Yes you can get across the Simpson on the smell of an oily rag but if the rains come & you have to do big diversions or when the desert is dry it's a totally new ball game.
    Be wary of fuel consumptions from those that have only done one crossing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  7. itlldoo

I agree @billolga , I wouldn't do it with out the jerries, but if all goes well you can sell your excess too some fool driving a tank @ $50 for 20 litres, works out to free beer at MT. Dare.:D

8. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

billolga likes this.
  9. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

I would suggest putting the jerrys in the tank as soon as possible is recommended to get the weight off (usually the roof) and into the right spot. Carrying fuel to flog in the front yard of another blokes place of business may well land you in a blue.

boobook and billolga like this.
  10. Mickkk

Mickkk Active Member

Old mate with the 4.5 l petrol will need a few I would suggest. You have not told us how big the tanks are. I used 120 l on, but wouldn't do it with out 150l min. That was getting around 17 to 18 l per 100 kms. Old mate in the petrol could easily get 25 l per 100 kms. Also petrol will be a lot harder to come across if the poop does hit the fan. Reckon only 1 in 5 cars doing the crossing would be petrol, and reckon most would be using more than expected, and not have any to spare.

Also agree with the comment to get it in the tank ASAP. Roofracks on most cars are only meant to carry between 60 to 100 kgs, including the rack it self.
    When I did the madigains line, we had to make running repairs to a roofrack that was wanting to part ways with one of the cars in out convoy.
    On that madigains trip there was a few of us that had to double back 80 kms to meet a member of the group that had car troubles and was a day late. Added an extra 160 kms to our trip, that was already 1000 k s no fuel or water (alice to Birdsville via a few spots) I must have only had less than 5l left when filling up at Birdsville. In saying that the convoy had a spare 320 l in total left. (over 9 cars, non were petrol)
    It should still be quite moist in there, so the sand shouldn't be too live. Flowers should be awesome.

billolga likes this.
  11. itlldoo

a bit out of left field mate, would never of thought of such a practice !

12. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

Hi mate, i did it last year in a LC100 4.7l V8. i had 140l in the tanks and took 80l on the roof. When we got to Mt Dare, we found out we had to be prepared for rain so took enough for the diversion north to get around Eyre Creek (bought an extra jerry at Mt Dare).

sand was pretty firm when we crossed and did not need the diversion so i rolled into Birdsville with 60l onboard - used 160l.

I stored the 4 x Jerry's on the roof and got them into the tanks as quickly as i could. The issue i had was plastic Jerry expand in the heat and you end up trying to tie round jerry's together - imagine trying to cable tie billiard balls together...

You probably know this already but it is seriously scalloped in the French line and your luggage will hit the roof.... DO NOT take glass anything....

Mr Rum and billolga like this.
  13. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

FWIW, most common rail 3.0 TD use around the 100lt mark, no detours.
    Have seen some use 80lt though, that was a MNazda BT50 / PX Ranger equivenent.

We always take the 170lt anyway, gets us past all the $$$ places.

A petrol 3.0 1988 Pajero onm one trip used 117lt, but the cruiser petrol will eat it up more, probble 25 - 30 lt / 100 actual or thereabouts.

I have been on trips with V8 diesel Landcruisers, and they can use under 100lt on a straight forward crossing, the older TD 6's seem to use more.

Have fun, and . . .
    For sure, beer in cans might not be your thing, but even these, put them in kids socks to stop rub throughs, it's amazing how thin they are and pinhole loses occur quite easily on a crossing !!

14. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

My 2005 Prado 3.0 TD 1kzte last year.... Birdsville to Mt Dare... QAA to K1, to French, down Knoll's to Waa for a little and then had to turn around at a FULL lake, then via Rig Rd all the way to French and into Mt Dare. 620km's....116 lts. Car was loaded!!!! I am fairly sure if I did it again I would get better than that with some different driving techniques over the dunes. Hope this helps. The main thing is allowing for detours.

billolga likes this.
  15. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

richardlnsw likes this.
  16. billolga

When it's been wet the driving is easy, but you can end up with big deteors & mud around Mt Dare & Blood Creek if your going that way.
    On the other hand like 2009 it was extremely dry & a vehicle ahead of me needed 5 goes to get over one sand hill. We came across 2 busted vehicles that needed winching over half a dozen sand hills.
    It's been wet in the centre this year & I think it will be green & if your lucky full of flowers & lots of Budgies & I mean thousands.
    Have a great trip mate, I love the place with all it's changes.

cookie64 likes this.
  17. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

@billolga
    Thanks mate. Getting quite excited about the trip. Fingers crossed, it will be full of wild life and flowers as you said.

billolga and Grippy like this.
  18. Mini

Mini Member

Hi there Zamunda. Did it East to West, the hard way they tell me and used 60 litres only from BDV to Dalhousie, we went south from there down to the ruins, Pedirka etc. to Oodnadatta. 3 jerries of exactly 20 litres filled my tank on a Mitsubishi Triton (3.2 litre diesel) for 13.2 litres / hundred. Second crossing was North to South via Hay River track and from Jervois to BDV was less at 12.2 litres / 100 km's. Hay River track is mainly within the Swales so no corrugated tracks sort of, definetly less dunes and firmer ground. No detours were required and we drove to enjoy the trip, no rushing or hard driving. Use an app. like Gas Manager on your iPad and get accurate everyday fuel consumption so, then, multiply by 1.5 ( add 50%) to get a conservative desert / sand consumption rate and go with that for usage - NOT for what to take. You must take usage as a minimum of course, then RESERVES for weather, diversions, back tracking if required, maybe even towing or snatching your mates out.

Also read all other posts, there is good advice in all of it. As soon as you use 20+ litres, chuck in a Jerry. Petrol in jerries can be a worry, be carefull

billolga likes this.
  19. cookie64

cookie64 4x4 Earth Contributer

As Bill says, it really does depend on what the sand is like and how easy you can negotiate the dunes, tyre pressures are important, as is 4wd.

I run a 273L tank and will go from Birdsville and back into Lyndhurst before filling up but I reckon I average under 100L on the crossings either E-W or W-E

billolga and 80lover96gxl like this.
  20. billolga

I mite have more crossing than you Cookie (Just) but your one up on me on fuel as I normally only carry 220 ltrs without Jerries.:cool: (Bugger only had 260 ltrs last year - your still one upping me!):D
    One of the old (To me) WW2 Captains I flew with said to me once "You can never have too much fuel, UNLESS your on fire & then you have MILES too much!"

Jaye, Mini, Mr Rum and 2 others like this.