Change background image

Simpson Advice - Flooding.

Discussion in 'Trips' started by Steve Burston, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Steve Burston

Steve Burston New Member

G'day.
    I've been stuck on a tug with very limited phone coverage for a few weeks now and am currently anchored of Mornington Island with RECEPTION.. I’m catching up on a few forums looking for any extra information on an up coming trip across the Madigan. I had no idea how the last couple of cyclones had affected the Simpson with flooding until I just read the post on fuel usage and saw the link to Eyre Creek running.

Can anyone tell me if a Madigan crossing in June will still be possible or is it too early to know? Where can I find out more info when the time gets closer? I did mention to Judy at Adria Downs station when I asked for permission to cross if I could call closer to the departure date for an update on conditions but she said they couldn't really give an opinion, I fully understand why not. Will the larger clay pans get affected by this run off or is it just the creeks? I saw some deep ruts on some of the salt pans crossing the Simpson last year and I would have had a heart attack if it was me leaving them especially if travelling solo.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Check the trip reports, @Mr Rum just crossed the Madigan and had to make a few alterations due to flooding on the western side and now the QLD flood waters are causing issues on the eastern side. Should be getting back closer to normal by then but guess you will have to do some investigating closer to the time.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Steve Burston likes this.
  3. Steve Burston

Steve Burston New Member

Thanks for the reply. I never would have found that write up.

4. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. Steve Burston

Steve Burston New Member

The SA site is excellent , thank you.
    My problem is how to find out about track conditions for the Madigan. I don't want to get over half way and find I can't go any further. For example Eyre Creek, is there ways a by pass if it's flooded? The same for the clay pans?

6. time

time Member

I'll let you know late May, a group of us are doing West to East in the first half of May. Hopefully the ground will have dried out somewhat by then.

richardlnsw and Steve Burston like this.
  7. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

Hi mate

You're simply not going to get a definitive answer this far out.

Leave it till early may then start tracking reports and the sites already posted. Closer you get, the better the info is.

The reality is that it's the outback. Certainty is very rare to come by and you need to be flexible and prepared to change plans as conditions develop

richardlnsw, Steve Burston and Mr Rum like this.
  8. Steve Burston

Steve Burston New Member

Thanks Lachlan, as I mentioned I work at sea so have very limited phone reception. So just taking full advantage of a delay with signal at the moment. I'm just trying to gather as much info and places to find that info, so when I get home closer to the departure date I can make a decision on whether I'm comfortable to cross solo this year or not.

Thanks Time. I'll take you up on that. I'll keep an eye out for your trip report or I'll try and message you towards the end of May.

richardlnsw likes this.
  9. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

Mt Dare were better for info than the Birdsville Info centre IMO. But check reports and ring both of these as well.

10. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

There is still a lot of water coming down and still time for another cyclone/monsoon low to dump more.

I was thinking of heading out that way in July, but I'm not sure how far I'll get.

Mr Rum likes this.
  11. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

I am crossing in July (WAA and Rig) so hopefully it is all ok by then.

BarKer, Mr Rum and mac_man_luke like this.