Silverstone MT-117

hilux

Hi guys

i am looking at buying a set of tire for play only as i already have a new set of tires for running around town on. ive been looking around now and pricing a lot of diffrent tires and the mickey thompson MTZ would have been at the top of my list if it wernt so expensive. a mate mentioned the silverstones and told me to have a look at them so far i like what im seeing on them but havent been able to find anyone that has used them. If any one has any info on them would e great..

Cheers

Glen84

I have a mate with the Silverstones, He doesnt mind them for the price but he finds when playing in the mud they dont self clean as good and they are apparently alot softer and get chips and cuts alot easier. I was leaning towards them aswell but decided to save abit of extra cash and went with 285/75/16's MTZ's

shovelboy

i have a set of extreme's and never had a problem they grip well in the mud and climb well in loose dirt and climb up rock walls as well they are only for play so only go on for days in the bush

bushhogg4x4

my bro has a set of the mt 117 sports muddies. look tough quiet on road. work well in bush all i can say. i agree that they do have a softer rubber tho than others. but that factor shouldnt push em to back of the list ;)
hoggy

Poolman84

For play and price probably cant go too wrong! Daily muddies spend the extral dollars! reccomend you get 5 they're fourbys not three wheelers!

TUFF IFS LUX

my bro has a set of the mt 117 sports muddies. look tough quiet on road. work well in bush all i can say. i agree that they do have a softer rubber tho than others. but that factor shouldnt push em to back of the list
hoggy

Mate, quiet on the road is an absolute understatement and if he cant hear them then his radio is definitely playing too loud.

I run these tyres on my 07 Hilux and although it sounds like the police helicopter chasing you when your on the bitumen, I absolutely love them.

They are my daily tyres and I have done 20,000km on them so far. Like the OP said, I too considered MTZ's but for the price difference I couldn't justify the expense at the time.

My impression on them........I dont hoon around when I drive and these tyres have treated me well.....i run them in 285/75x16 and regardless what the Silverstone website states, these are a BIG 285.......inflated on the 16x8 wheels they measured new 33" tall exactly by a full 12 inches wide measured from outer side wall lug to outer sidewall lug....just somethign to keep in mind if you bit low on clearance.

Yes, they howl on the road, between 60 to 80kph they reach a reasonance that makes them the liudest between this speed. They are directional, so I carry a non directional spare tyre incase of emergency.

They have never slipped traction on wet roads at all. Offroad, they are absolutely awesome....they pickup mud and throw it towards the horizon and in my experience they self clean very very well.

Over rocky terrain like mountain rails they grip like liquid nails....as long as you air down appropriately they wont chip or slice.....thats half the problem most times.....people dont air down enough for the terrain and the tyres suffer.

These have a 2ply sidewall which is pretty thick for a two ply and a 6 ply tread.

The tread when new is 16mm deep or just over, alot deeper than the usual muddy which has about 14mm tread depth.

If you need to see some pics of them in action you can see my build thread below -

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/my-4wd/3424-toyota-hilux-sr-2007-a.html

693228_GuessWhos.jpg

I should have aired down a little bit more in the pic above but I really needed that little bit of extra clearance on the track I was on at the time. Pic above is aired down to 15psi

hilux

Thanks

thank you people i really apprecate the time you have take to reply to my question. i think ill da little bit more reserch on them but im almost positive i will be buying a set.. Again thank you.:D