Silverstone MT-117 Extreme tyres?

Elbie84

Just wondering what these tyres are like?
Are they any good for the price, because they loook pretty mean.

Anyone run them or know people that do?

Shovelboy run them on his SWB Pajero they are amazing in mud but like a jet engine on the rd he only ever used them while playing as they are a non radial tyre .... i believe he maybe selling his set which still have 80% tread on them as he has muddies on his new Paj

his are only 31'ssure if you look him up you will see heaps of pics posted to show ya whats he has been through .... left many of us with muddies for dead lol

phs

a friend of myn had them, he said they where good in mud thats about it, on rocks he lost quite a few lugs he said they where a much softer compound to the real deals but you get what you pay for. id think in the high country they'd be a one trip tyre.

im sure on shovel boys SWB there really good smaller track width bugger all weight on top of them. little pocket rocket.

you might find on a full size 4x4 they might show wear some what quicker.

if your in for mud, been half the price of peeds, id say go for it, but dont be suprized if you lose lugs quick on rocks.

theres a few review around all are the same good for mud, soft rubber and cheap...

Last edited:
shovelboy has done heaps of rock aswell as mud and still has 80% tread as he ONLY uses them to play with ..... he is only one not to have any tyre damage on our adventures even a shorty nissan lost tyres from damage in same area us bigger trucks did..

all mud tyres are softer compound its the make up of the tyre just some are rated to do some on road work as welll as majorioty of off road work...im not sellin these tyres i just know they are good ... if i was here to sell a tyre id be selliing maxxis bighorns over anything else but thats my 2 cents worth

Last edited:

shovelboy

yes my tyres are great on rocks and even better in mud they prob would of been better if i had more power as too shift the mud better but i only had a 4cylinder carby to play with then but now i got the V6 but have not put them to use on that yet as i havent had time to get out in the bush to play and see what the newer car can do but as B!tch said they are a good tyre off road especially in mud but do grip well in the rocks as well up or down hills ..... But am still deciding as to whether i keep these or sell them as my new car has federal couragia M/T on it now and they are quite grippy on the road and not very noisy either except from when cornering at a bit of speed but still need to test them off the road as well but will let you guys know when i do

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer

Hi Elbie84.
I run them on on my landcruiser. I only put them on when going for a run. I've been pretty happy with them and haven't lost any lugs. They do make a bit of noise.

Cheers
Knackers

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
My brother has the Silverstone AT's on his 4by. He towed a caravan to the Kimberley's and was the only vehicle without damage to any tyres for the trip. Still look new even with all the off the black top he did. He is impressed.

Vegetoast

I finally got rid of my extremes! good riddance. They have been a major pain to my ears and wallet! Ruff ride that chews out bushes, swivel bearings and pulls apart the hub seals. not mentioning all the nuts & bolts through the car come undone from all the sharp vibration from driving on the road. You only get about 8000kms on the asphalt, that may have something to do with the weight of my cruiser 3T.

Balancing has been a pain aswell. You need truck weights as the normal weights wouldnt balance them.

In the end they where a fun tyre but at a big cost! and when there bald they dont look bald but act useless.

Another thing, try very hard not to spin your wheels on grass because these tyres just rip trenches, unsightly. Even turning on grass ripps the lawn up!
I guess you guys can tell I dont like em anymore!! They cost me more than just the tyres and only 80000km.. silly me bought a second set to tour tassy only did 6500km mainly road but when returned home they where bald!

Big Matt

Xtremes were never meant for road use, they are purely an off road tire

I have a set of 33 x 10.5 Xtremes and love them. You simply wont get a radial with the same levels of grip. Given what the tire was designed for its little surprise you got so few Km out of them.

As for balancing, mine balanced up fine with only a small amount of weights, as did a mates, and they weren't truck weights.

Silly you for getting a second set for ya tassie trip ? With that many road miles yeah there are an infinate number of better options

I still don't get why people buy basically competition tires then ***** that they don't do as good a job as a radial road based tire, i would have thought that it would be obvious that they wouldn't cut it as a touring tire ?

End of the day, if you don't have a set of road tires and want something to do Km's on the tar AND the dirt, don't get a Bias ply comp tire

Vegetoast

Your absolutely right!!
In my defence I dont have the room to carry another set of tyres. In Sydney you have to drive alot of tar to reach a little dirt. I only drive 12km to work and back and just about every weekend in the bush. I did get 12 months out of the first set.
And well tassie, Bad move on my part:rolleyes:

I have met others without balancing problem too but I had it with all the tyres and also problems with them sealing along the bead with their sharp edges.

Big Matt

If you want a cheaper radial based tire with a stack of grip the Silverstone M-117 Sport is a good bit of gear
Not great on the road but they wear well and are awesome in the bush

Vegetoast

If you want a cheaper radial based tire with a stack of grip the Silverstone M-117 Sport is a good bit of gear
Not great on the road but they wear well and are awesome in the bush

I just tried that.. lol. I ordered them last friday and they sent me extremes so I sent them back and now they tell me they dont come in 35's. now I'm getting mixxis trepador.

Elbie84

Gees didn't think this old thread would pop back up.

WELL,
Ended up buying a set of 35in extremes and 3 of the 5 split on the bead/sidewall on the first day trip:eek:, they got returned under warrenty and got sent a new set from the distributor and sure enough 2 of the next set did exactly the same.

Got my money back and would never buy a set of these again!!! As they say you get what you pay for there just a cheap tyre:D

Just updated my tyres last week to 37in bias maxxis creepy's and are awsome but there a $550 tyre, but you get what you pay for, thats probably why no comp trucks run extremes because there just not strong enough!!!

Have to admitt though the extremes did throw the mud out:D

All this happened at the start of the year, ooh well thats my two bob.:D