Change background image

SILO ART Brings New Life To VIC Country.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by rogerazz, May 7, 2018.

1. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Yesterday Rosemary and I went to a 160th birthday function in the Goorombat Hall not far from Benalla to celebrate her cousin's birthday. Her cousin married this bloke and both were turning eighty, hence the 160th :).
    Because our silo art trail from Rupanyup to Patchewollock (six towns, six silos) was temporarily postponed we deceided to visit some other new silo art close to where we were going.
    Many councils and locals are getting on to the idea of silo art as a way of attracting business back to their towns. All over Australia, many small farming towns which were busy in their day are virtually becoming ghost towns and silo art, street art, is a way of attracting business.
    These areas were very large crop growing areas hence the large number of old grain silos situated at railway sidings.. It appears that there are more silos to be painted in this area so another trip in the near future is envisaged.
    The fact that Rosemary's family came from these areas back in the 1800's made it a very nostalgic visit.
    We left Melbourne at 8.30 a.m. however I did travel up to Hurstbridge at 6.00 a.m. to drop a toy off for my 6 y.o. grand daughter who left it behind the day before. What a surprise I got as I came across about ten hot air balloons preparing to lift off into the morning sky. I will post a video of that shortly.
    We arrived at Tungamah around 11.30 a.m a place where Rosemary's mum was born in 1910. These silos depicted birds not like many early silo art depicting people and locals of the area. A good place to camp in Tungamah is on the Boozy creek at the edge of town which caters for caravans, tents, etc.and has toilets. I highly recommend the Pub only just a short walk down the road for a good meal and a yarn with the locals.
    Copy of Tungamah (2).JPG
    Copy of Tungamah (1).jpg

From Tungamah we drove on to Devenish.
    Rosemary was there as a baby in 1944 and with her parents working on farms moved around small towns like Devenish, Stewarton and St. James. Rosemary's dad actually went to Stewarton school with Sir Weary Dunlop around 1915.
    Yesterday Devenish was very busy with many travellers coming to town to see the silo art. The pub and and food shops were flat out, however usually on Sundays the streets would be very quiet.
    Many of the town's farm boys (including Rosemary's uncles) lost their lives in the first world war and to commemorate the efforts of women who served in the forces the silo art featured paintings of the women medicos.
    Copy of Devenish (3).JPG
    Copy of Devenish (4).JPG
    Copy of Devenish (5).JPG
    After leaving Devenish we travelled on to Benalla to see another place that many of Rosemary's family grew up in. Benalla has recently run a Street Art Festival featuring many buildings and walls that have been artistically painted. I took photos of some great works and will feature them in another thread asap. From Benalla we travelled back out to Goorambat for the birthday party at the local town hall. The silos there have also been painted and I also took a photo of a painting in the Presbyterian Church.
    Copy of Goorambat (1).jpg

Goorambat (6).JPG
    Well after leaving Melbourne at 8.30 a.m. and arriving back home at 7.30 p.m. it was time to rest .
    I would recommend for anyone wanting to see this area to seriously consider an overnight stay at least to see things at a more leisurely pace.
    Another good cheap camp in close proximity is the Broken Creek Bush Camp.
    Cheers.

2. CruiserAd

CruiserAd Active Member

Brilliant. Love it. Some popping up around South Aus too. Brightens the place up.

3. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Terrific Azza,
    Would early am or later in the day be best for photographing the silo at Devenish, (direction of sun on the silo)
    Thanks,
    Col.

4. rogerazz

G'day Col. I reckon later in the day, however we had to have some lunch and get to Goorambat by 2.30 p.m. for the birthday bash.
    Maybe that is why it would be good to say spend a weekend or a couple of days poking around. If you get up there I would love to see your photos as I reckon they are if not the best , some of the best I have ever seen. Benalla pics would be good too.
    Cheers.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Brilliant idea, fantastic work.

6. 99pc chimpanzee

99pc chimpanzee Well-Known Member

yeah along with Coonalpyn,tumby bay and kimba on eyre peninsula.

7. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Hi Azza,
    Not sure whether you saw this trip report?

https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-day-with-col-a-bit-of-everything.43654/

Col.

8. rogerazz

G'day Col. I did see some of your report back then, looks like I must suffer from memory fade at times. :D. Or maybe i don't pay enough attention :rolleyes:.
    Lake Mokoan brings back memories. I actually waded right through the lake back in the late 60's during duck opening when it was Winton swamp. Later it was flooded and became Lake Mokan. Years later it was drained dry and then after that it was flooded again and became the Winton Wetlands.
    An old Super 8 Movie I took in the early 70's on duck opening when it was Lake Mokan.

Spooner likes this.
  9. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

it is a bit off topic ,but talk about bringing back memories!
    rog, i shot my first duck at winton swamp. ime guessing i was about 13 so 68 with a 410 that had been handed down thru my dads mates kids till it got to me
    very unlucky duck because he was very high and going fast
    shot on lake mokoan once or twice. not quite the same
    thanks for reminding me

rogerazz likes this.
  10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Good stuff Rog,
    A couple of of our friends from Melb came to stay last weekend doing the Silo trail .
    They loved it :)

rogerazz likes this.
  11. Rojo Pajero

Rojo Pajero New Member

I did the "Silo Art Trail" after xmas Last Year.Very Impressive. Tacked it onto the tail end of the "Murray River Trail"

Attached Files:

Mr Rum and Spooner like this.
  12. rogerazz

Nice. I had intended to but ended up in Tassie instead. Will do it asap.
    By the way, how long did it take you, which way did you do it and if you stopped overnite where abouts?
    Cheers.

13. Rojo Pajero

Rojo Pajero New Member

I did it from North to south. Qick trip with an overnight stop at Brim. They have installed solar lighting and I wanted to get a night pic. It was also New Years Eve and they had celebrations down the camping area on the river. The whole trail is only about 220 klm I think.

rogerazz likes this.