Change background image

Show us some photos of you stuck somewhere

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Brisey, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Seeing these posts makes me feel a little better about my little incident last weekend.

Here’s a few photos of what I did, and because I’m bored at work with nothing better to do, I’ll include the story of how it happened..
    (skip to the bottom if you aren’t interested in stories and would just like to see photos)

Jen and I decided to go for one of our “make it up as we go” drives last weekend, and we found ourselves passing through Collarenebri at around 10:30 Saturday morning.
    A little hungry, Jen said, “Park near those tables over there and I’ll make us something to eat.”
    Me being me replied, “Stuff that. Let’s follow the river and see if there’s a nicer little spot away from the road that the locals use.”
    We didn’t have to go far to be rewarded with a nice little spot on the edge of the river, and because it was already 38°C, we sat in the car with the aircon going while we ate our lunch and enjoyed the view.
    Because I tend to inhale my food and was finished eating before Jen, I got out and had a look around. I hadn’t gotten far when I spotted a pair of Spoonbills wading on the other side of the river, so I went back to the car and grabbed my camera. I’d never photographed Spoonbills before, so I was a little bit excited, and managed to spook them as I looked for a good vantage point. They flew downstream a little, and because I was being a pansy, I gave up and retreated from the heat and returned to the car.
    By the time we were ready to get moving again, I’d cooled off enough to want to have another go at the Spoonbills. They’d remained in view the whole time, but were too far away to photograph, so I said to Jen, “Before we go, I’d like to drive along the river a bit further and see if I can get closer to the birds.”
    We drove along the rivers edge, up and down each track that led to the water, until I finally found a spot that looked goods. I parked up, grabbed the camera, and slowly made my way towards the Spoonbills.
    It appears I wasn’t slow enough, or perhaps they are just very flighty birds, because just like last time they flew off again, landing just out of range of my camera.
    The heat was getting to me again and I was ready to give up for good this time, so I hopped back in the HiLux and to make my way back towards town.
    The spot on the rivers edge that I’d parked at wasn’t very big, and would require a seven or so point turn to head out the way we came in, but there was another track that lead up, and it was only going to require a three point turn, so I decided to go that way.
    It was a bit steeper than the one we’d come down, and as Jen doesn’t like steep, she gave me a look and just said, “Really?”
    I stopped, told her that we would have no problem climbing it, and pointed out that she’s driven much steeper things than this herself.
    Though she wasn’t entirely happy about it, Jen agreed and gave me the ‘you’re not going to listen to me anyway’ “Alright.”

...It’s okay folks, we’re almost at the good bit...

I engaged low range, and to make Jen feel better about it, I even popped the rear locker on before moving off.
    As I’d predicted, we crawled up the little climb with absolutely no problems at all, mintaining traction all the way to the top.
    As our front wheels rolled up and over the crest, I turned to Jen and prematurely gloated, “See, I told you we’d piss it in.”... as the last syllable left my mouth though, FARKEN CRUNCH!

I had no idea what in the world had just happened. Even though we were pretty much crawling along at idle, the right side of the Hilux dropped faster than I could react.
    I poked my head out the window to see what the hell was going on, and this is what I saw..

0534CC97-D8D7-4B5B-9C1A-1C6194493FCD.jpeg

D’oh! (Not the word I used, but same same)

I was on quite an angle and couldn’t open my door, so I climbed out the window to have a closer look.
    The incline was just steep enough that I was unable to see the ground at the top from below, and because I hadn’t bothered to check for any “invisible” obstacles, I’d driven my drivers side front wheel straight into a hole... a deep hole... a very deep hole, and because my rear wheels hadn’t made it to the top yet, I was now resting heavily on my driver’s side sill.

82E75D53-9D1E-460D-A4F0-521AE79A8296.jpeg

We made a couple of attempts to back out before conceeding and pulling out the winch.
    Only one tree in the area looked strong enough to skull drag us out, and I was a bit worried it was going to be too far away. Luckily for us it wasn’t, but it did mean that we had to use a 30m extension strap and a single line pull which wasn’t really ideal.

With the Mercury near 40°C, and with hands, feet, and knees full of cat heads and cacti, it was not my idea of fun, but a short time later we had all four tyres back on level ground where we could assess the damage.

Apart from a relatively small dent in the sill, the only real damage is to the side step and it’s brackets. The rubber edge on the side step seems to have protected the paint work too, so there is no exposed metal. Quite a good outcome considering.
    It’s certainly not going to buff out, but I’ll see what I can achieve with a big arse hammer before I’ll toss them.

8D75DA8C-030E-452F-9682-B50F051C4E5F.jpeg

Photos don’t really do the hole justice, but here it is..
    E384952C-34CA-42A7-AF5D-13D8EB7F53DF.jpeg 580DC7FF-EA4F-4E73-8195-6BA0C8B2D661.jpeg

The rest of the day consisted of me hearing, “I told you so!” on loop, but I guess I kind of had that coming.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Gidgee, Toddyh, 03hilux and 6 others like this.
  2. Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum Member

I have to say, I think out team work was on point. :)

Um.... yep. :p

3. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

In my old surf

Attached Files:

Mr Rum and Spooner like this.
  4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Great stuff Pete :) Familiar words , glad its just not me.

Mr Rum likes this.
  5. Spooner

Oh well, its a good excuse to throw the side steps in the bin and get some tube steel sliders.

6. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Only problem with that idea is that I’m currently looking for ways to reduce weight.

If I end up going down the GVM upgrade route though, sliders are exactly what I’ll do.

7. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Those sidesteps are only temporary , mine didn't last long . :D:D:D:D

Mr Rum likes this.
  8. mickley

mickley Member

Looking at GPS not the track Maytown 2004 IMGP0184.JPG IMGP0182.JPG IMGP0183.JPG

Attached Files:

barcher, Spooner and Mr Rum like this.
  9. Spooner

Thats easy mate , throw out all your camera gear before you go on the weigh bridge ;)

Mr Rum likes this.
  10. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

I’m on a roll lately.
    I’ve only ever gotten my HiLux stuck on three occasions, and two of them have been within the last month.
    This time wasn’t really a surprise though, as the tyre tracks I’d been following stopped right where I did.:D
    (Initially I was against the log, and managed to back up that far before admitting I was stuck.)
    FEE89822-34D5-4921-97FD-687E18CF7480.jpeg

Jen tried to get a video of the MaxTrax doing their thing, but I was out so fast that this is the first frame she captured..

D324645F-B10A-4729-ACBD-D71B1E2F145A.png

They mightn’t suit every situation, but this confirmed to me that recovery boards really are my favourite self recovery tool.
    I did just throw the MaxTrax in the back and didn’t put them away, so I should really add a minute or two for a proper pack up, but it wouldn’t have been more than two minutes between getting stuck and driving away.
    Happy days.:)

No damage this time either.:cool:

phs, underdog, Spooner and 3 others like this.
  11. 03hilux

03hilux 4x4 Earth Contributer

Ive had a set of maxtrax now for about 7 years. Ive only used them once for my self, but they have been used a number of times to help others. I think with there effectiveness and ease of use, they sell themselves.

Funny about the tracks ending.
    The first time I took my wife to Stockton, we were driving through / over the dunes. One particular dune looked different near the top so I stopped to have a look. Lucky I did because there was no back to it. Just a near vertical drop. I reversed back and went another way.
    A few hours later we were headed back down the beach and stumbled upon another hilux that was nose buried in the sand off the dune I'd stopped short on earlier. He said he followed my track, but didn't notice they stopped until it was too late. Luckily for him, once his mate had recovered him, he managed to drive off with no visual damage.

underdog, Dead End Dendo and Mr Rum like this.
  12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

First time driving off-road. Had a mate with a winch following me, so figured why the hell not give it a go... Tara bogged side1.JPG
    A front locker found it's way onto the car not long after this!

13. Spooner

Very Cool stuff mate :)

14. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

976644_10201277586569260_212243090_o.jpg While it wasn't me bogged, heres my old 80 series cruiser pulling out another 4x4 at steep point. That was some of the softest sand I've ever driven on

phs and Mr Rum like this.
  15. phs

phs Well-Known Member

A photo from the otways in my old 70 front wheel slid into an endless hole, plenty of fun hand winching it out
    [​IMG]

this one was at Dissa pre the big fire, Very steep narrow track surface was fairly solid just crazy steep wheels were smoking

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  16. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

They really do. I've had mine around four years now, and of the twenty or so times they've been used, three times was to recover myself. They make life so easy.
    The last time I pulled them out was at this years SA Meet. All three vehicles in the first photo used them (myself included), followed by the vehicle in the last photo that got stuck before we got moving again.
    Earth-8226.JPG Earth-8231.JPG

I've managed to find photos from the first time I used the MaxTrax too.
    This was after all the rains that fell in May 2016, and Jen and I had just returned from our honeymoon where we'd been through rain in all sorts of usually dry parts of the country. We hadn't used a single piece of recovery gear the whole trip, and then while at my parents place to pick up the dogs, I decided to take a shortcut...

There are no photos of the initial bogging, as it was a frantic race as we took on water, but we winched out of that one.
    I'd gone to the trouble of walking it, but I didn't realise we were going to slide sideways as far as we did, and we dropped deep into the water.
    After walking further up the track, it was decided that we would be better off heading back the way we'd come, but that meant going back through the bog that had already soaked the drivers side carpet.
    The ground was so slippery that the MaxTrax were required to make the five point turn possible. Not that the tyres I had on it back then were very good in mud, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any tyre that could get traction in that stuff once you a wheel in a hole.

Here's the first spot..
    Earth-6664.JPG

And the second spot, just a couple of metres from the first..
    Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 02.14.33.jpg

Once the ute was facing the right way, I decided I'd try the other side of the bog for the return, but nope, that didn't work either..
    Earth-6678.JPG

It wasn't as deep where I stopped this time though, so there was no more flooding, and it was a simple winch out.

That short cut cost me about half an hour wading through mud, and $500 odd dollars for a new sat phone car kit module. In return, all I got was a car that smelt like swamp. Yay!
    This was the day I developed my hatred for mud, and now I only drive through it if there's no other choice.

17. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

Yep, sooner or later you come to realise that mud sucks.

18. Borec

Borec Active Member

01- V bahne.JPG 02 - Ono to pujde.png 06 - Stuck on Spinifex moutn while corssing a dune.JPG 10 - Uviznul.png IMG_5737.JPG Some from my Solo Simpson crossing via GeoCenter and Madigan Line this March - Very detailed trip report coming sometimes towards end of the year

Attached Files:

19. LCV8VICTORIA

LCV8VICTORIA Active Member

Self recovery on the weekend lol was steep as
    8C83EBE0-F318-4236-A884-0C53D89CA8AD.jpeg

phs, Albynsw, Spooner and 2 others like this.
  20. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

No it didnt get a lift kit. Just high and dry on the belly after a ‘I wonder what’s up here?’ moment when the Ute was still fairly new (oe tyres in pic). It turns out that ‘high clearance logging vehicles you idiot’ was the answer.
    The winch was of course too short to get to a tree so I did the unthinkable and attached the snatch strap as well. Thank Christ I have a wireless winch remote to get well clear. The Ute looked like a turtle doing breath stroke across the mud as the snatch did its thing. I bough an extension strap and a lotto ticket the next week.

Attached Files:

Spooner and Mr Rum like this.