Should I fit a roof rack?

protik

Hi all

I am trying to plan ahead and decide if I should fit a roof rack on the Y62 as we have started kayaking recently. Prefer not to add weight on roof unless really needed. Will be fitting out UHF and cellular antennas later in the year so if we do indeed get the rack the antennas will be mounted on the roof instead of on mirror mounts. I have noted down some of likely scenarios and attached a reference photo of a similar set up and keen to hear general thoughts as a sense check. Thanks!
  • Passengers: 2 adults
  • Y62 roof load rating: 100kg
  • Roof rack: Yakima 1375 x 2130 LocknLoad platform + RuggedLine (rated for 150kg with no off-road reduction) - seems to suit well for kayak carrying

Scenario: daily driving / year (80%)

ItemsWeightAlternative Option
Perm - roof rack41kgNot needed for daily driving
Perm - Antennas & mounts2kgInstall on mirror mount (trade off: coverage)
Total~ 43kg

Scenario: weekend trips with kayak / year (10%)

Perm - roof rack41kgLikely needed to carry the kayak
Perm - antennas & mounts2kgInstall on mirror mount (trade off: coverage)
Temp - 6m kayak32kgGet a trailer or hire kayak
Total~ 75kg

Scenario: solo camping trips or long range touring / year (10%)

Perm - roof rack41kgMay be needed to carry items
Temp - maxtrax (4)18kgCarry inside in a bag
Temp - shovel2kgCarry inside in shovel cover
Temp - shower ensuite6kgCarry portable ensuite
Temp - spare 20L jerry can / firewoods etc.3kgDepends on trip
Total~ 72kg

Scenario: mixed / year (subset of above)

Perm - roof rack41kgLikely needed to carry the kayak
Temp - maxtrax (2)9kgCarry inside in a bag inside vehicle
Temp - shovel2kgCarry inside in shovel cover
Temp - shower ensuite6kgCarry portable ensuite
Temp - 6m kayak32kgGet a trailer or hire kayak
Total~92kg

Attachments

• yakima-kayak.jpeg
    yakima-kayak.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

smitty_r51

if you just want to carry a kayak get a set of two bars and use them, did that for years on the Y61 patrol and then the Pathfinder. only swapped to a plaform rack when i need more space up there for swags etc, the platform is actually worse for carrying the kayaks, i have had to space the kayak holders higher so the kayak clears the platform.

lars cordes

pretty handy the roof rack & if u make up some brackets with wobble rollers (boat trailer rollers) getting the kayak on & off is easy ... good luck getting up this track with a trailer, as it was i had to turn around, woulda been a nightmare with a trailer

20220215_152138.jpg

discomatt

for me a good quality roof rack , something that is flat, basket types are to limiting IMO, something that is light, anything over 30kg is way to much, again just me but off road the last thing you want is extra or unnecessary weight up top and something that can carry long loads, I also carry a kayak on mine, for our long trips it will carry maxtrax a few light bits and pieces but bot a lot as we tow
I have one of these, not available for all cars and from the UK but IMO way better than anything that is common place here

Petunia

o_O

965 Quid = 1,713.1377 Australian Dollars, CRIKEY! does it come with gold plated pop rivets?

Dude, what about giving the Ozzy battler a go?

boobook

o_O

965 Quid = 1,713.1377 Australian Dollars, CRIKEY! does it come with gold plated pop rivets?

So apparently it looks like the Australian specifications for the Discovery 3/ 4 is a roof load limit of 72KG less rails roof rack etc, and the roof rack weighs 24Kg so you are left with 48kg of load capacity. You'd want to be carrying gold up there.

FedEx might be cheaper per KG. LOL to carry the load.

discomatt

o_O

+ shippingo_O
I got one through a group order and shipment that reduced the purchase and shipping cost, certainly not a cheap option and it took me a long while to justify it but being a relatively long term purchase and something that doesn't wear out so can be on sold when the car gets moved on the overall cost will be naff all.
There is nothing else on the market that has such an efficient wind deflector so it has added no wind noise and no increase in fuel consumption plus it was the lowest option so when I have to use that car for work it still fits in all the underground car parks in the city even with a ladder on it.
In every measure it was the best option except price and that is very rarely a deciding factor for my purchases
As far as supporting Aussie all for it and do at every practical opportunity , I also am happy to support pommy companies due to my heritage;)

Hoyks

Unless your kayaks are flat bottomed or plastic, then a platform will be less than optimal. Straight bars with cradles to fit the hull was my choice for my 6m kayaks. The good kayak gets the cradles and the cheap LDPE plastic one gets strapped to the roof bars, but takes a bit of force to stop it wanting to slip around. It gets a crease in the hull, but an hour in the sun and its good as new.

You can get shovel holders that will fit between the bars and double as a paddle holder (2m paddle inside the vehicle is inconvenient).
RSIT-Stow-It-pioneer-11_op.jpg

I'd stick the maxtrax up there as well, but if you get 2 kayaks, stick them in the middle. Loading kayaks over them is asking for barked knuckles, they may be inconvenient to get to when you need them, but I'm sure the kayaks will come off more than the trax.

The roof rack may be rated for 150kg, but the vehicle isn't. The vehicle manufacturers' rating trumps whatever sticker the roof rack manufacturer wants to put on it.

I wouldn't put the antenna on the roof, you might get marginally better reception, but they will be a pain in the arse in any underground carparks and just as likely to get damaged, torn off or if you're really unlucky, damage the car park lights or even set off the sprinklers.

Last edited:

boobook

+ shippingo_O
I got one through a group order and shipment that reduced the purchase and shipping cost, certainly not a cheap option and it took me a long while to justify it but being a relatively long term purchase and something that doesn't wear out so can be on sold when the car gets moved on the overall cost will be naff all.
There is nothing else on the market that has such an efficient wind deflector so it has added no wind noise and no increase in fuel consumption plus it was the lowest option so when I have to use that car for work it still fits in all the underground car parks in the city even with a ladder on it.
In every measure it was the best option except price and that is very rarely a deciding factor for my purchases
As far as supporting Aussie all for it and do at every practical opportunity , I also am happy to support pommy companies due to my heritage;)
I do agree that sometimes you have to pay extra to get something that is a good match for your needs. That rack is clearly designed to match the vehicle better than a stock product.

protik

I wouldn't put the antenna on the roof, you might get marginally better reception, but they will be a pain in the arse in any underground carparks and just as likely to get damaged, torn off or if you're really unlucky, damage the car park lights or even set off the sprinklers.

Wouldn't antenna on the roof have much better reception due to less RF interference than being mirror mounted? Some sort of fold down bracket would keep it flat as needed / during daily driving. We travel on our own and higher up seemed more functional.

1656771163643.png

Hoyks

Theoretically you will get extra range and getting the antenna as high as possible will help (I used to hang them in trees of carry collapsible masts for extra range when I was in the Army), but I haven't seen convincing evidence that lifting an antenna 1m higher when fitted to a passenger vehicle actually makes a significant difference.

I also travel alone, but I wouldn't solely rely on UHF or mobile coverage for remote area communications.

discomatt

So apparently it looks like the Australian specifications for the Discovery 3/ 4 is a roof load limit of 72KG less rails roof rack etc, and the roof rack weighs 24Kg so you are left with 48kg of load capacity. You'd want to be carrying gold up there.

FedEx might be cheaper per KG. LOL to carry the load.
yep crappy load rating, I assume it has to do with the fact that I can press a button or 2, have about a 70mm lift which is illegal in all standard sprung cars with 50mm being the max lift allowable and the effect that has on the center of gravity.
As far as I am concerned anyone who lifts there 4wd 50mm, then adds bigger tires and doesn't reduce the roof load is kidding themselves if they think they haven/t greatly changed the saftey of the car, if the same person loads up 100kg+ and does the same 4wding and touring I do they would be very foolish IMO
I am more than happy to stick with minimal weight up high, I understand that does not align with the continual, boring and very predictable LR bashing that gets dragged into every thread but thats life and I am OK with less than 75kg on my roof