shitbox rally 2017

coolumbla

FFS!!!

i put an entry in and i've been accepted!
Now i have to actually start talking to my wife about how i wasn't having an "adventure " next year after a cape trip last year and a desert trip this year
Its not an adventure dear , its a serious fund racing thing for cancer !

Sorry Rob!
I got the idea from you!

now anyone got a sub 1000 dollar car that will get me from Adelaide to cairns?

ian.c

Get on gumtree mate, look for an old cruiser, patrol or pajero, there are thousands of old cheap cars there.
Save your searches and you can get updates on email if you want.
I've always wanted to do one of those charity rallies, would be heaps of fun.
Good luck mate.

Wang

FFS!!!

Now i have to actually start talking to my wife about how i wasn't having an "adventure " next year after a cape trip last year and a desert trip this year

Sorry Rob!
I got the idea from you!

@yobboford got in to shane.

mac_man_luke

Get on gumtree mate, look for an old cruiser, patrol or pajero, there are thousands of old cheap cars there.
Save your searches and you can get updates on email if you want.
I've always wanted to do one of those charity rallies, would be heaps of fun.
Good luck mate.

No 4wds allowed in SB rally

Grippy

Would be a hell of an adventure, tons of fun. An old Datto would last the miles I reckon (if you could find one these days), they seemed to love being thrashed and run better all worn out.:)

discomatt

yep a old 120Y would do the trick, so would a old Toyota crown or corolla
Have always wanted to do one of these style rallies

stevemc181

Have always wanted to do one of these style rallies

Want an adventure! Try one of the Adventurist Rallies. The missus and I did this one a few years ago

3000+ km's from one end of Peru to the other, no support of any kind. We were given a Mototaxi, which is like a motorbike with 3 wheels and a couch welded on the back! a start line, a finish line and 2 weeks to do it in via whatever route you wanted. Trust me when they say no support, they mean it!
Was bloody awesome though, crossed the Andes 3 or 4 times and went through the Amazon, held up twice by the Shotgun wielding Ronderos in the Amazon, a small bribe was sufficient to be allowed to carry on, gets the adrenalin pumping though. The Death Rds through the Andes are not for the feint hearted, an experience we will never forget!

They stopped doing the Mototaxi Junket a couple of years ago, but still do the London to Mongolia Rally which is in a similar vein to the shitbox rally but there is no support of any kind along the way and no set route. They also have a few others that involve some extreme levels of craziness. Ice Run or Icarus Trophy anyone? http://www.theadventurists.com

stevemc181

We crossed paths with the Shitbox Rally out at Tjukayirla Roadhouse on the Great Central Hwy back in 2013, they certainly had some sights to see and some of the cars were done up awesomely. One was completely covered in crochet and most of the teams were done up in some kind of crazy outfit. You'll have a ball for sure!

ian.c

No 4wds allowed in SB rally
Thats a bugger, I suppose its easier to get a cheapie shitbox if its 2wd, shouldnt be too hard to find one, there might be somebody out there thats willing to donate/sponsor an old car for a good cause.

yobboford

Awesome Shane, We will be doing it too!!!!
Will have to see about getting in the same buddy group together, its going to be awesome. We haven't decided on a car yet but I do have an AU wagon here that would definitely fit the shitbox criteria.... lol.

yobboford

By the way Shane, I don't fly so my shitbox has to get me to Adelaide to start and then home from Cairns to finish, lol. Which means I have to buy it back from the auction at the end......

03hilux

By the way Shane, I don't fly so my shitbox has to get me to Adelaide to start and then home from Cairns to finish, lol. Which means I have to buy it back from the auction at the end......
Will the 4x4 earth courier service get you home from Cairns Rob? I can do the Newy to Sydney run if you like.

muc the truck

Have always wanted to do one of these style rallies[/QUOTe
something light stanza or 120y are great in the mud they skim over big bog holes at 70kms per hour . speed prior to obstacle helps and corrugated roads are good with there soft coil fronts . fit the largest tyre possible but stay skinny

itlldoo

FFS!!!

Sorry Rob!
I got the idea from you!

need a navi or support ?

Paddler Ed

One of our friends in the UK, her brother is doing the Mongol Rally; I didn't realise who her brother was doing it with until the wife used the lad's full surname...

Aitken-Walker.... his Mum was a pretty tidy rally driver by all accounts...

Well, I suppose that's what happens when you're from Duns - everyone there is in motorsport somehow....

Good luck - one of the guys on another forum I use is doing it in a Volvo 244