Shaved doors on an old hilux

OneHilux

G’day

I thought I’d start this thread as I couldn’t find another one talking about this and didn’t have all day to scroll through them - I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with setting up shaved doors on an older 4x4 single cab Hilux. My drivers side door has some rust, and I needed to either cut it out, or find a new door. A quick search on eBay brought up a set of shaved doors. I have never thought of this until now, but they look kind of neat... Is it a real pain to rig up some kind of hidden cable release or remote/central locking thing so that the doors can be opened without obvious handles?

here is the doors in question
1592256500332.png

OneHilux

how would normal people know how to open it in an emergency?
That’s a good point... it still has handles on the inside so anyone trapped in the vehicle can open that, but I guess if you were in an accident and couldn’t open it they would just get out the jaws of life anyway

Petunia

Sand anchor [boat] and a winch, sorry sir you were blacked out, I opened your door best way I knew how. Hope you don't mind, I thought it was going to catch fire. :D

As for looks? ok if you a youngin, but to me only show car enthusiasts do that.

OneHilux

Decided not to bother with these, as I’d have to drill out new holes and nut-sert new threads for my mirrors as well. On top of having to set up some hidden cable system or unreliable solenoid and remote, and possibly fail roadworthy because of not having door handles it’s simply not worth it. Will keep searching around at the wreckers and on gumtree/eBay. Or possibly just repair it myself, pretty sure It’s not unfixable.