Shackle Warning

03hilux

I found this on the 'net tonight. Can anybody clarify if its legit.

Attachments

• 10588863_10204330850497565_893788017_n.jpg
    10588863_10204330850497565_893788017_n.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 279

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I was always told by vicroads to use rated shackles. They have rules on what chain and how much weld is required etc when you build a trailer.
Never heard of someone booked for not using a rated shackle though.

03hilux

I was always told by vicroads to use rated shackles. They have rules on what chain and how much weld is required etc when you build a trailer.
Never heard of someone booked for not using a rated shackle though.

Can't confirm it, but it makes sense. Mine are rated.

When i built my trailer, I to was told they chain has to be rated and stamped. I also use a rated bow shackle.

You must have to be a real pr!ck to the police officer for him to defect/fine you for having a wrong shackle

cloughcarib

This may shock you Roger, and I'd like you to sit down before you read further........

There are quite a few pricks in the world today.

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Or said Gympyite or two failed the attitude test

3 basic rules in Life ..... Never upset the IT boss, the Security Boss or the Local copper;)

All seem to have the ability to make your life just that little more miserable without really trying :D

And there is generally SFA that you can do about it

I wonder if the conversation went something like this first ..............

Q. "You know that the shackles on your trailer should be the rated ones"
A. "$@%&$# copper ! " ( insert other attitude failures here as appropriate )

Riiiipppp ............ "And you pay that within 28 days to the address on the back ":D:D

Last edited:

hiluxdriver

I think those pictured are commonly know as bow shackles. That notice is a bit misleading as people might think the pictured shackle is the illegal one. I'm yet to see a bow shackle without a rating stamp.

patrol dude

You can get both D shackles and Bow shackles with "SWL" (Safe Working Load) or "WLL (Working Load Limit) on them. D shackles are used for a straight line pull (one sling/chain each end. Bow shackles cater for a single sling / chain on the pin end and multi-able slings / chains on the Bow end. Every trailer should use rated shackles. Cheers

underdog

Understandable, however confusing. I've witnessed a trailer hitch jump off a towball at 80km/h, didn't take 3secs of bouncing around before either the chain or shackle snapped and the trailer plowed into the guard rail on the side of the road (after ricocheting of a car or two first). Luckily for me I was a few cars back :/

Neddysmith

While all this makes complete sense to me does anyone or can anyone provide the writing where it says its law to use rated shackles? either bow or "D"????

AdamsMux

Surely if you're using rated shackles/chains etc, they require annual testing. Bet your average plod doesn't know this!

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
It could just be clever marketing? Old mate selling the gear might be slow this time of year so whipped up this poster.

03hilux

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/pdf/vsb01_June2009.pdf

The below has been copied from www.caravanerforum.com

"Australian Standard 2741.2002 includes the following

• Each shackle shall be marked with the Working Load Limit WWL for the shackle
• Each shackle shall be capable of supporting a test load of 6 times the working load limit of the shackle
• The shackle will be marked with the Quality Grade, such as M or 4, or S or 6.
• Shackle nominal size - The nominal diameter of the shackle body.

A worked example might be

Trailer ATM 3500 kg (assuming ATM is the same as the towbar rating).

ATM 3500 times 1.5 gives Shackle Minimum Breaking Load of 5250 kg.

Note the requirement in Australian Standard 2741.2002. Each shackle shall be capable of supporting a test load of 6 times the working load limit of the shackle

5250 kg divided by six (6) indicates that a minimum Working Load Limit of 875 kg is required."

End quote

Sooooooo

Is the shackles come with a Towbar like hayman reece acceptable ?
You would think so, or they will be in the poo.
Then the chain welded on trailers, must be also? Or they will be in the same dung pool.

I can tell you, if a 2 tonne trailer comes off, it rips the d shackle apart, so they are not up to the task. Make the shackle stronger then likely the chain would give.
Maybe that's why the break away system is good.

BarKer

certified testing maybe not, but you would do a visual and if in doubt throw it right?