Seriously need help

camperman2010

The problem definitely sounds electrical. Its very typical of sensors and meters to do what you say is happening. It could also be a relay getting too warm.
With the list of thing you have done, diagnosis is getting harder.

Have you replaced the starter motor or the starter solenoid?

How did you get on with AFI?

I gave them a call, they basically said sounds electrical and could be a million things and need to see the car.... Im gonna go see a local Auto Electricion tomorrow and see if he has any ideas...

johnby01

Assuming comp tests were normal and performance is good when it is running, one would assume that mechanically its fine. If its the same on LPG and Petrol then not a fuel pressure issue. Looking at your list of items that 'test ok' i have found in the past that it is usually one of the sensors that test fine but play up intermittantly. The above stuff are the ones we can rule out with confidence i.e. comp test, fuel pressure etc. Replace crank angle, unusual that it would be intermittant but not unheard of. I dont think that your model had a MAF sensor from memory but if it did and it was faulty like many sensor issues it would throw a fault code. Need to work out which sensors are capable of being outside of a predetermined variance and cause an issue and can also go under the fault code radar. Crank angle could be one of them, if the signal were to be deminished or weakened it may just give enough frequency or amplitude variation to work after it spins over a bit but then not when its cold. (or something to that effect, not sure how the crank anlgle sensor works in these) if not crank angle then it has to be something that has been tested to be ok at that time therefore is intermittant. I actually have an issue with mine at the moment which is also proving difficult to find. Good luck, hang in there you'll find it, just rule only the things that cannot possibly be intermittant and everyhting else is on the table for scrutiny.

Whats next

Hi Again. First of all get rid of your WD40.....load of crap and is actually a dust attractant and will make everything worse off in a short time. ....get yourself a can or bottle of Lanatech (pure sheep oil) The stuff in the white and blue bottle...Comes in cans as well so get one of each.We do mainly marine electrical and electronics and always spray the stuff on all electronics and switchgear. Never had a fault or corrosion etc. Don't get the "Lanox" stuff as it has additives, just get the pure Lanatech. The shops will try and sell you the Lanox stuff but resist it, its just not as good. And then spray everything you can find, all electrical wires, leads, sensors, batteries, engine everything....The stuff has 20,000 volt protection. See what happens. And if you are a Kiwi you'll feel at home. Good Luck.

camperman2010

Assuming comp tests were normal and performance is good when it is running, one would assume that mechanically its fine. If its the same on LPG and Petrol then not a fuel pressure issue. Looking at your list of items that 'test ok' i have found in the past that it is usually one of the sensors that test fine but play up intermittantly. The above stuff are the ones we can rule out with confidence i.e. comp test, fuel pressure etc. Replace crank angle, unusual that it would be intermittant but not unheard of. I dont think that your model had a MAF sensor from memory but if it did and it was faulty like many sensor issues it would throw a fault code. Need to work out which sensors are capable of being outside of a predetermined variance and cause an issue and can also go under the fault code radar. Crank angle could be one of them, if the signal were to be deminished or weakened it may just give enough frequency or amplitude variation to work after it spins over a bit but then not when its cold. (or something to that effect, not sure how the crank anlgle sensor works in these) if not crank angle then it has to be something that has been tested to be ok at that time therefore is intermittant. I actually have an issue with mine at the moment which is also proving difficult to find. Good luck, hang in there you'll find it, just rule only the things that cannot possibly be intermittant and everyhting else is on the table for scrutiny.

Gday Johnby01, a new crank sensor was put in.. I took it to a Auto electrician this morning and apparently this guy is one of the best,electrical engineer and Tafe teacher aswell, and he was confident that its a electrical issue, being sensors or otherwise,even though all sensors have been replaced with new, their could be an issue with signal getting to any of them, so its booked in for the 26th this month.
My car model does not have a MAF sensor.The funny thing is, after cranking for so long and finally starting, as soon as it starts up and you turn the engine off and go to restart it, it will start straight away.
I aint gonna give up just yet.....:eek:

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just a thought...

grab a can of freeze spray available from an electronics shop and once the car is started, turn it off, go around and spray the various sensors one at a time starting after you cool each sensor - be careful as this stuff is flammable, this may highlight the problematic sensor

cheers

bally

Banned
or this could just freeze the insulation/sensor causing it to go brittle once heated up again.........

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
or this could just freeze the insulation/sensor causing it to go brittle once heated up again.........

Provided you dont empty the whole can onto each sensor - you just need to cool it back to the ambient temperature you'll be fine

I do this all the time with electronics as it the only way I know to find an intermittent fault with components in a more expedient manner - if it goes brittle then maybe it needs replacing anyway as it is no different to going into the snow fields

Cheers

Jaye

Let me get this straight.................

All "this" for a truck that takes a while to start when cold (8+sec?)

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Let me get this straight.................

All "this" for a truck that takes a while to start when cold (8+sec?)

Absolutely,

we are all friends on here and go out of our way to help each other out, it is more of a challenge now though and I think that we are all very intirgued to find out why it is doing this and what the remedy is as who knows it may be one of us out in the middle of nowhere and information such as this may well be useful

cheers

cloughcarib

Absolutely,

we are all friends on here and go out of our way to help each other out, it is more of a challenge now though and I think that we are all very intirgued to find out why it is doing this and what the remedy is as who knows it may be one of us out in the middle of nowhere and information such as this may well be useful

cheers

Beautifully said. Muzz is a good mate and it makes me proud to be part of a community that gives so much.

Jaye

Oh I didn't mean the thread. I was just talking about time and money. Yeah I am intrigued as well and like the support shown, definently not knocking anyone.

I just don't see the problem with it taking its time to start. If it doesn't effect normal day to day running then its money and time that could be spent doing other things IMO. I really wouldn't bother with it.

There must be a thread before this one and I only said something because I saw the other thread about the E10. I saw somewhere you wrote 8sec or something like that. I am a mechanic by trade and I have to wonder if you are getting taken for a bit of a ride. If all these sensors have been replaced or checked someone is just tearing up $$$ for nothing. I would also like to know what tests were done to deem those items faulty.

I'm only telling you what your mechanics should be telling you, but I guess they got retirements to fund, uni educations to fund and are quite happy to take your money. Honestly shame on them. I know at the end of the day its your money, vehicle etc and you can do as you please, and if you want it fixed.........

I am just trying to help. I am a professional and that's the best advice I can give without seeing the vehicle. I hope you get it sorted out and at a price your happy with.

My mates old Lada Niva (on gas) will take over a minute to start when cold. Most time he only ever parkes on a hill as a hill start gets it going. Now that's a joke lol.

cloughcarib

Oh I didn't mean the thread. I was just talking about time and money. Yeah I am intrigued as well and like the support shown, definently not knocking anyone.

I just don't see the problem with it taking its time to start. If it doesn't effect normal day to day running then its money and time that could be spent doing other things IMO. I really wouldn't bother with it.

There must be a thread before this one and I only said something because I saw the other thread about the E10. I saw somewhere you wrote 8sec or something like that. I am a mechanic by trade and I have to wonder if you are getting taken for a bit of a ride. If all these sensors have been replaced or checked someone is just tearing up $$$ for nothing. I would also like to know what tests were done to deem those items faulty.

I'm only telling you what your mechanics should be telling you, but I guess they got retirements to fund, uni educations to fund and are quite happy to take your money. Honestly shame on them. I know at the end of the day its your money, vehicle etc and you can do as you please, and if you want it fixed.........

I am just trying to help. I am a professional and that's the best advice I can give without seeing the vehicle. I hope you get it sorted out and at a price your happy with.

My mates old Lada Niva (on gas) will take over a minute to start when cold. Most time he only ever parkes on a hill as a hill start gets it going. Now that's a joke lol.

Fair point. Well stated.

03hilux

That's a great way to explain your point Jaye.
I have spent almost 20 yrs within the trade, and not diagnosing and rectifying an issue does make you loose sleep.
Although the lack of not wanting to start properly, isnt a major issue because it will eventually start, if I were in Muzz's shoes, Id try my best to fix it before the problem prevents the car from starting at all.
I hope Muzz's mechanic is an honest bloke and the problem a legit one.

tremewen123

On another forum, egos would've kicked in and the cause may have been lost. Good on ya lads, Keep plugging away Camperman, you'll get the gremlin.

camperman2010

WOW guys, thanx for all the support, if it wasnt for you guys with all the imput,ide be at a stand still....
Clough, im sorry but i cant contain my self any further ( i promissed Clough i would not say anything until next week lol ).
Well this morning i had a brain FART !!!!, We all know we need Fuel,Spark and Air, so since everything was replaced,it ruelled out Fuel and Spark amoungst everything else, so i got to thinking about AIR.
Before i go and try to start the car in the morning,i decided to disconnect all the wiring connected to the LPG mixer , still had the same issue with cranking, so i decided ide take OFF the Lpg mixer completely and which would leave the throttle body open to the atmosphere, well when i went to start it, BARA BING BARA BOOM, she fired up, no cranking, just fired up.So i decided to fit the Lpg mixer back on,waited 1 hr for everything to cool off, no start, still cranking over, so i waited another 1 hr for the engine to cool off, took off the Mixer again, and you quessed it, SHE FIRED UP.....
If there was a Happy Dance icon ( put one on Grumpy ) i would fill the page up lol...
So for some reason the Lpg Mixer is restricting the Air flow. So ive just plumbed up the air box hose straight to the throttle body and wrapped up all the Lpg wiring and pulled the fuse out for the Lpg to gaurd against accidental activation...So i will be replacing the Impco 225 Mixer when funds allow me.....
Boy-o-boy im so doing the HAPPY DANCE... YIPPEEEEEEEEE........:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Anyone have any idea why the Lpg Mixer would block off Air Flow ?, i pulled the unit apart and the Diaphram looked ok, no holes or rips..

Attachments

• lpg.JPG
    lpg.JPG
    652.4 KB · Views: 104
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 101
  • lpg2.JPG
    lpg2.JPG
    626.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

bowie911

Hi Campervan,
so the tough looking truck will have constant motion.:D:D shit you'll have to mow that bit of lawn now.:D:D:D
mate very happy for you and it's good to see the support from this forum.
now go and get the thing dirty, all the best, Ian:D:D

camperman2010

Hi Campervan,
so the tough looking truck will have constant motion.:D:D shit you'll have to mow that bit of lawn now.:D:D:D
mate very happy for you and it's good to see the support from this forum.
now go and get the thing dirty, all the best, Ian:D:D

Thanx Ian, yeah couldnt of done it without all you guys help, even stupid questions and suggestions have helped out in way or another...But just a little brain fart has changed everything will make me sleep easy from now on ! lol...
Im just astonished why the Mechanics didnt try what i did this morning,and why Air flow was not checked.Gonna be some door knocking on monday, just to rub it in their faces and say " you took my money,and my Dumb ass worked it out eventually lol )
Before anyone says " you spent alot on things and got nowhere ", well please dont say it, because at least i know everything is New and have that piece of mind lol .
Now its time to find a new Mixer.

BOUNCY HJ61

Great News Campervan,

Been Following This But Had Nothing To Contribute, Which Hasn't Already Been Suggested.
So Glad For You It's Now Sorted, Just A Pitty Of The Cost, For The Things Replaced Which Wasn't The Cause Of The Problem.
All The Best Mate, At Least You're Enjoying Your Truck Again.

Cheers Michael