Seriously need help

camperman2010

Got the Jackeroo back from the mechanics today after 3 weeks with no conclusion to the problems. I will start from scratch hopeing someone might have an idea.
When the car is cold, it's hard to start,( on both petrol and gas ) it cranks over and over before it starts, but when the car is warm or just pulled up from a drive it will start with no problems, but if you wait 15 minutes or more, it just cranks over and over before it starts again.
Below is a list of what has been checked and changed.

1996 Jackeroo 3.2 Ltr petrol/lpg
PCM Module : OK
ECM : OK
Injector Pulse : OK
Spark : OK
Fuel Pressure 45 psi on cranking : OK
Throttle position sensor cleaned and tested OK
Fuel Injectors cleaned and rebuilt
Changed all relays and fuses
No fault codes

Relaced the following.
Fuel pump,Fuel Filters Fuel lines, Fuel pressure regulator, coolent temp sensor, New Spark Plugs and New Leads,New Lpg Converter
New Air Temp Sensor,New Battery, New Alternator,
New Map Sensor,

Im at a loss as why it cranks over for a long time when its cold before it fires up. It really doing my head in. anyone with any ideas ?, at this point i dont care if you throw me stupid question or thoughts, i just need help.

Last edited:

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'm not up with these motors but some back to basics questions.

-Was there any work done in the time leading up till the starting issues?
Has it had a timing belt change as an eg., maybe the cam/crank timing is out.
-Has it had a compression test?
Could be low compression.
-Does it have spark at the plug leads while it's cranking?

camperman2010

I'm not up with these motors but some back to basics questions.

-Was there any work done in the time leading up till the starting issues?
Has it had a timing belt change as an eg., maybe the cam/crank timing is out.
-Has it had a compression test?
Could be low compression.
-Does it have spark at the plug leads while it's cranking?
Motor was rebuilt approx 120,000 klm ago, compression perfect, plenty of spark, this has been happening since i bought the car,but getting gradually worst.( cranking over longer )
Crank sensor tested OK, Cam sensor tested OK

jasonh

try this mate
in the morning when cold turn the key on reds but dont start leave on for 3 seconds turn off again
turn on to reds leave on for 3 secs turn off
do this for 3 times.. dont start
on the 4th time try to start it
see how it goes?

camperman2010

try this mate
in the morning when cold turn the key on reds but dont start leave on for 3 seconds turn off again
turn on to reds leave on for 3 secs turn off
do this for 3 times.. dont start
on the 4th time try to start it
see how it goes?
Hi Bud, its pretty cold out now, i just tried it, still the same, just cranked over and over

jasonh

mmm thinking its a weak fuel pump..
i bought one from repco and my car had the same troubles hard to start... when cold.
would run but could feel a bit of power loss when driving and overtaking
had to buy another sent the other pump for testing still waiting for results actually been 4mnths now
one more thing try a fuel rail from a 98 jackaroo
yeh got me thinking now
keeps updates coming
oh the return line for the fuel is that working ok

Last edited:

camperman2010

mmm thinking its a weak fuel pump..
i bought one from repco and my car had the same troubles hard to start... when cold.
would run but could feel a bit of power loss when driving and overtaking
had to buy another sent the other pump for testing still waiting for results actually been 4mnths now
one more thing try a fuel rail from a 98 jackaroo
yeh got me thinking now
keeps updates coming
It done it with the old Fuel Pump , and still the same with the New Fuel Pump, Fuel Pressure is normal at 45 psi on cranking, so plenty of fuel.

Xagtho

I know it may sound stupid, but my friend had issues starting his similar model jackaroo diesel, holden couldn't fix the issue. He ended up taking it to an auto elec who through a process of elimination over a week found that his faulty brake light would inhibit starting & even make the engine cut out while driving, not saying yours is the same problem, but if they have programmed features such as this into that model car with no indicator or output so mechanics cannot see what the problem is then it can be a very long and expensive process.

IMHO, a car that shuts itself down due to a faulty brake light is more trouble than what it is worth.

camperman2010

I know it may sound stupid, but my friend had issues starting his similar model jackaroo diesel, holden couldn't fix the issue. He ended up taking it to an auto elec who through a process of elimination over a week found that his faulty brake light would inhibit starting & even make the engine cut out while driving, not saying yours is the same problem, but if they have programmed features such as this into that model car with no indicator or output so mechanics cannot see what the problem is then it can be a very long and expensive process.

IMHO, a car that shuts itself down due to a faulty brake light is more trouble than what it is worth.
That is not so stupid,my dad told me i had a brake light out on the right hand side a long time ago, i dont know if it was like that when i bought it, but dad brought it to my attention a while ago and ive never changed it, since ive got a high mount brake light, plus the normal body lights and bumper brakes lights and blinks so i figured why change it lol.... i will change the globe tomorrow and see what happenes..

jasonh

try this tonite if you can
jump starter hook it up and start the car yeh make sure it is cold
might be loosing a bit of battery power to the ecu when cranking

centaur

I have also heard of the brake light switch causing this, also maybe check the crank angle sensor.... Just a thought.
:rolleyes::eek:

camperman2010

try this tonite if you can
jump starter hook it up and start the car yeh make sure it is cold
might be loosing a bit of battery power to the ecu when cranking
Brand new 100 amp Deep Cycle Battery.... and i actually did that before it went to the mechanics thinking the same.... no difference at all.

jasonh

do your brake lights work?
If the brake lights fuse goes, then the car won't start / run... one of the power relays for the ECU run off this fuse. A stupid design
seen a post on another forum way way in the internet lol thought i would share

GregPS

Brand new 100 amp Deep Cycle Battery.... and i actually did that before it went to the mechanics thinking the same.... no difference at all.
Are deep cycle batteries made for starting engines? I thought they were more designed to hold charge for ongoing electrical needs like fridges and lights etc., and only good for 'backup' for starting engines.

I used to have a 2001 Jackaroo with the 3.5 litre petrol engine for 7 years - always started easy hot or cold.

Cheers

Greg

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
What about the starter motor? just a suggestion, caused a few issues for me, slow cranking when cold being one of them, until it got worse and started affecting more than cold starts.

camperman2010

do your brake lights work?
If the brake lights fuse goes, then the car won't start / run... one of the power relays for the ECU run off this fuse. A stupid design
seen a post on another forum way way in the internet lol thought i would share
Yes, they all work except for the right hand side on the body..