Series 78 Troopy - Anti Theft Steering lock

lostboys

Must admit having not given this a zot of thought in the past.
However, have just had my passenger door lock almost pried off on Friday night... a bit of local damage, but nothing taken. A bit odd really, & will try & sort via my Ken Tame Insurance.
Anyway, any thoughts on steering locks? Are they needed, & if so, what type?

Chatty

Can you still buy steering locks?
It's been years since I've seen someone use one, and a lot of people reckon all the thieves did was break the steering wheel to get one off.
I would think an immobiliser would be a better bet, but of course not as visible so less deterrent value.

Maybe a really ticked off cat locked in the cab? That way you get the protection plus you get to say that your Troopy really pulls in the pussy :rolleyes:

lostboys

Can you still buy steering locks?
It's been years since I've seen someone use one, and a lot of people reckon all the thieves did was break the steering wheel to get one off.
I would think an immobiliser would be a better bet, but of course not as visible so less deterrent value.

Maybe a really ticked off cat locked in the cab? That way you get the protection plus you get to say that your Troopy really pulls in the pussy :rolleyes:
Yeah. Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I've actually seen a steering lock, but I can see from your 2nd post that they're still around ... somewhere.

MyCrazy80

Hopefully new steering locks are better than the old ones as they were actually very easy to break, all that was required was to slide the seat back put your feet either side of the steering wheel grab the lock in the middle and pull with a bit of force and the lock would snap just above the locking mechanism, could be done in a few seconds.

callmejoe

I had 1 on my VL.
They just cut the steering wheel with a battery grinder. Whole 2 seconds. Slightly spread the wheel an hey presto Steering lock just falls out. The car was found 3 week's later. Steering lock untouched on the back seat, grinder on the passenger floor with some screw drivers to change the No. plates an a slightly out of shape steering wheel.
The old snapping technique only worked on large diameter wheels where the steering lock was over extended.

typhoeus

I put a kill switch in, hooked it up so so the car idles but runs like is on 2 cylinders when you step on it and wont pull the skin off a rice pudding, So I figure they will pull out and it will die, and they wont want to stuff around trying to "fix" it in the middle of traffic. And if they do fix it, they will get as far as 200ml of petrol will take them. :)

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I disagree with a lot of the above comments.
I have a steering lock and no one has tried to steal my Troopie let alone succeeded because....
1. I park it in my drive in front of the Missus's car, so they can take hers first.:D
2. I reckon most thieves are more high tech today and have never seen a steering lock.:D.
3. Everyone I know ( in Melbourne) leaves their keys at the front door for the car jackers. This is so they don't harm you. I kid you not. Not me though because I have a couple of, lets say surprises for them.:D.
All jokes aside , no these ain't jokes. If I really want peace of mind out there, I just whip the coil lead out from coil to dizzy and Bob's your uncle. For those that don't know or don't have a coil lead. bad luck, get an old Truck and give away the techno stuff.:D
20170130_132906.jpg

lostboys

Thanks gents. Always good to hear from others... only way to learn.
For what it's worth, another interesting development is that my Insurance people say that if I claim on this damage, I shall compromise my existing no-claims. I understand the excess due, but am not happy with the no-claims bit. Still `talking' about that one.
(Quote to rectify with a new lock keyed to suit existing, & some minor panel repairs comes to approx $850)

typhoeus

The no claim is there for that purpose; to make it not worth your time to claim for what they call small things. The actual cost of paying for a new lock etc for them is probably $1500 or so ( wages of staff processing your claim etc. That's why most people "save up" their minor dents until a bigger one happens & then get it all fixed at once