Votes: 6 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Ditch

Just had a read of this article on the PC`s 4x4 website -
https://mr4x4.com.au/separate-4x4-l...Jyg1nOUZxYY5Htxi2xOoH2sTiKOnX0MWfpignsrCJBVhU

Lot of discussion on whether this would be a good idea or not. IMO I don`t think a different class license for a 4wd will address the problems raised in the article. A "Bush License" that has been discussed on this forum would be a more practical solution with fees going into policing & education. All well & good to introduce a separate licence class but who is going to enforce it?. Don`t ever recall seeing a Police vehicle on a 4wd track anytime Iv`e been out driving.

Hoyks

So many clowns getting the roads around with suspended or no licenses already that don't seem to care.

A better bet would be to increase the State Forest and National Parks budgets so they have rangers on the ground and can do some actual enforcing.

Confiscation and forfeiting of a few vehicles (I'd also send them the towing bill) with associated fines and the word will get out reasonably quickly.

mac_man_luke

I dont think licensing but maybe more permits for areas to increase funding to catch morons and likely chance the morons wont get required permits but no doubt wont work anyway.

typhoeus

Tighter licence regulation doesn't do much for the the on road accident toll or improving compliance to road rules. so i don't think it will make much difference in less regulated areas like the bush. If they put that money into hidden wifi or on line cameras as used for tracking wildlife etc., they would be able to track offenders down. The price of freedom in the bush will be constant monitoring, and don't we all get monitored enough in this digital world?

Choook

There are knob heads in every licence class, vehicle make and model, work location, social group, et al. I somewhat agree with @typhoeus on the remote monitoring and as stated we are already monitored everyday anyway. Your smart phone (mine has a dumb operator) knows where you are and certain apps will transmit that location so you can be given information (whether you want it or not) about you surrounds. Cameras in almost ever shop, servo or hotel record you coming and going, possibly your employer monitors your work area.
Remote monitoring in high traffic or constant vandal prone areas would, in my view, be the most effective way to combat this growing blight on our recreation. This would provide coverage and be lower in cost for both equipment and man power. The technology exists it just needs a politician with the gonads to put it forward.

discomatt

Staff member
I don't agree with the idea of extra / separate 4wd license, I do however think all drivers license should have a lot more driver training involved so people are taught how to drive not how to get a license, that would fix the road toll. As far as dicks in the bush, a yearly permit and registration system with monitoring is very sad but probably the only way to keep the access we have without loosing it all together due to the minority of assholes.
Massive fines and car confiscation is the way to go

shaun0

Its the last thing we need. We dont need anymore licenses or regulation we have way to much as it is we need less.

dno67

The authorities need to step up to the plate by prosecuting and recovering
some or all of the legal expenses, there's plenty of people out there with phones,
dash cams and action camera's taking footage of idiots in action and more getting
them every week. I hate the idea of making laws for the majority when it's only
a minority, and they will still do the wrong thing regardless.

billolga

What about a license for towing a trailer or Caravan on road, with a separate higher one for Off Road Trailer or Caravan as well as your basic Off Road license?
A test of course would be required for each of these with an appropriate fee for the tests plus the fee for the license.:cool::eek::D

dno67

Bill, you see so many fools towing trailers the mind boggles.
A large portion of 6x4 trailers I see have faulty or non working lights,
seems like they don't need to comply with road rules.
From 6x4 it just gets worse. While there's not as many, the stupidity seems
to get worse as trailer and van weights and sizes increase.
I'll also add the transport industry had a new set of rules and regs recently for load restraints, no mention of non commercials cars towing. No surprise to me.
I also bet very few on here working in the industry would even know about this.
public2836_IMG_1301.JPG

Last edited:

mikehzz

What about a license for towing a trailer or Caravan on road, with a separate higher one for Off Road Trailer or Caravan as well as your basic Off Road license?
A test of course would be required for each of these with an appropriate fee for the tests plus the fee for the license.:cool::eek::D
It is ridiculous that you can get a licence in an auto Barina and then be allowed to drive a 200 towing 3.5 tonne at a later date.

Spooner

I also bet very few on here working in the industry would even know about this.
index.php
Yup I do mate , no big deal , a bit over overkill and the joke is most of the australian new heavy vehicle drivers wouldn't understand it anyway ;)

typhoeus

Yup I do mate , no big deal , a bit over overkill and the joke is most of the australian new heavy vehicle drivers wouldn't understand it anyway ;)
you said "most of the australian new heavy vehicle drivers" . . . did you mean most of the new australian heavy vehicle drivers?