Self inflating mattress in Swag

80lover96gxl

We've used self inflators when tent camping for nearly 8 yrs now and feel you get no better comfort than these in this situation, can't beat em i reckon.
In my swag ( Wiesshorn double ) i have a 50mm high density foam mat along with a 30mm eggshell foam mat . This provides great comfort for my velumptuos figure, i also have one of those thin alfoil fire blankets under both mats which seems to do a great job of insulating the cold out from under the swag.

I also use a single self inflator in the back of the 100 sometimes when on trips without the wife and this also provides great comfort.

Will i replace my swag matteresses with a self inflator ? Probably not as im more than happy with current set up, and the swag rolls up easy enough on my own and isn't too bulky and fits in the back of the 4b with still enough room for my other gear.

Brett-4x4

I have a Kulkyne King Swag with a 100mm mattress, basically like a normal mattress in style, its been fantastic, can even roll it up myself...

My Burke n Wills Double Swag it's a pain in the ass , nice to sleep in and spread out, a pain to roll up, you need two people and to lift it onto a roofrack etc. .

Hi Swaggie, is this the mattress you mean? Kulkyne Swag Mattress

Swaggie

Hi Swaggie, is this the mattress you mean? Kulkyne Swag Mattress

Heah mate
I've made a mistake by the looks of it, not sure why I said 100mm but looking at the swags in King size they only come out with 70mm...

But the mattress in your link looks exactly the same as mine...
100mm would be super comfy .Although harder to roll up I'd say..

TimNWVic

I just bought a Kulkyne King Single swag and at $300 I was expecting a better mattress, but it's crap. Slept in it last night (on carpet) and it's one of the more uncomfortable sleeps I've ever had. I've done some ultralight backpacking eg 7 days on the Overland Track, so I don't think I'm just soft. As soon as I rolled it out I could see it was very soft foam, so I'd actually already bought a foam eggshell topper for it. Still not good enough IMO.

While I'm bitching about this swag - the videos linked on their website states they come with a free bag, as do a few youtube reviews. That's no longer the case, they are an extra $59.

So I'm looking at self inflators. I can get a Black Wolf Hexatherm 2D Mega deluxe locally for $224

Or if I order online an Exped Megamat 10 LXW for $369

Or Zempire Monstamat King single for $250

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? I already have 2 Exped air mats for hiking and they are excellent, but is the Megamat worth the premium over the other two?

Is it possible to just take the plug out and roll them up inside the swag, or do you need to remove them and roll up separately?

smitty_r51

I have the previous version of the black wolf in my swag (also a kulkyne). It has one way valves for inflation so if I swap it to deflate before I get up it takes most of the air out then I roll it up with mattress and sleeping bag still in.

Whole lot then fits into their standard bag.

boobook

I have the previous version of the black wolf in my swag (also a kulkyne). It has one way valves for inflation so if I swap it to deflate before I get up it takes most of the air out then I roll it up with mattress and sleeping bag still in.

Interesting Smitty. Do you mean it all fits into the Swag's bag? Does it fit better than the original Kylkyne mattress plus swag?

phs

I just bought a Kulkyne King Single swag and at $300 I was expecting a better mattress, but it's crap. Slept in it last night (on carpet) and it's one of the more uncomfortable sleeps I've ever had. I've done some ultralight backpacking eg 7 days on the Overland Track, so I don't think I'm just soft. As soon as I rolled it out I could see it was very soft foam, so I'd actually already bought a foam eggshell topper for it. Still not good enough IMO.

While I'm bitching about this swag - the videos linked on their website states they come with a free bag, as do a few youtube reviews. That's no longer the case, they are an extra $59.

So I'm looking at self inflators. I can get a Black Wolf Hexatherm 2D Mega deluxe locally for $224

Or if I order online an Exped Megamat 10 LXW for $369

Or Zempire Monstamat King single for $250

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? I already have 2 Exped air mats for hiking and they are excellent, but is the Megamat worth the premium over the other two?

Is it possible to just take the plug out and roll them up inside the swag, or do you need to remove them and roll up separately?
Not soft ? You went hiking on a board walk for 7 days lol.
All jokes aside we have been using Nemo cosmo insulated pads for a fair while even on rock there still ok pack up small abs are light lots of versions ie, sizes and temp ratings
19770C81-7411-4393-B9B6-471523CB2E37.jpeg

TimNWVic

Not soft ? You went hiking on a board walk for 7 days lol.
:) Yeah, I was referring to sleeping on an ultralight inflatable mat in a silnylon tent with just a small down quilt and the clothes I was wearing, in driving rain, hail and snow, but the walking is relatively easy, although it's certainly not all boardwalk. Fantastic experience, everyone who is able should do it.

Anyway, was just trying to point out I'm not expecting an innerspring mattress in my swag.

I'm after a self inflator though, are the Nemo pads self-inflating? I already have an Exped Synmat 9LW, Exped Synmat UL, and a Thermarest Neoair Xlite so probably have enough inflatable pads... ;)

Reactions: phs

TimNWVic

Good to know thanks. Think I'll grab one today.

CTL

Yeah, I went with the Megamats at the time because they were on special at Snowys and the Blackwolfs weren’t. If you are not in a hurry, wait for either to pop up on special at Snowys, it happens regularly.

John U

I've got the 10cm thick Megamat and the Anaconda mat linked below.

They are equivalent to sleep on. Both very comfortable. The only downside of the Anaconda mat is that the deflate valve is a bit more fiddly, although over time it may actually end up being more robust.

The Anaconda mat is a pretty direct ripoff of the Megamat.

The reason for this post is that the Anaconda mat regularly has significant discount. I think I got mine for about $150. If you can get one at this price I would go the Anaconda mat over the Megamat any day of the week.

My experience with a Nemo Cosmo mat @phs linked looked promising but ended up being very disappointing. It was noisy to sleep on and was only used twice before it got a hole in it. The time and effort to blow it up was significantly more than I expected. I haven't bothered trying to fix it given the experience I had.

cam04

They are equivalent to sleep on. Both very comfortable. The only downside of the Anaconda mat is that the deflate valve is a bit more fiddly, although over time it may actually end up being more robust.

The reason for this post is that the Anaconda mat regularly has significant discount. I think I got mine for about $150. If you can get one at this price I would go the Anaconda mat over the Megamat any day of the week.

My experience with a Nemo Cosmo mat @phs linked looked promising but ended up being very disappointing. It was noisy to sleep on and was only used twice before it got a hole in it. The time and effort to blow it up was significantly more than I expected. I haven't bothered trying to fix it given the experience I had.
Wow, old thread.
A couple of mates also mentioned how noisy the cosmo and others are. Some inflatables are foil lined for insulation which is noisy but you don’t need an inflation bag.
I ended up with a mountain designs 50mm insulated inflatable. It is nice and quiet because it is insulated with primaloft, but you need to use the inflation bag with it. Suits me fine but if I can combine it with a 30mm sim it becomes positively luxurious.

phs

What specific cosmo did you use ? My self and 4 mates all have the same cosmo used over 5 years no issues, doesn’t make noise like the -10 ultra lite thermorest mats

I had to buy a second 4 years ago as I left my original one at a hotel in Launceston

our original use was for hiking but we all use them in our swags as well, camped on some hard rough surfaces no problems

Last edited:

phs

:) Yeah, I was referring to sleeping on an ultralight inflatable mat in a silnylon tent with just a small down quilt and the clothes I was wearing, in driving rain, hail and snow, but the walking is relatively easy, although it's certainly not all boardwalk. Fantastic experience, everyone who is able should do it.

Anyway, was just trying to point out I'm not expecting an innerspring mattress in my swag.

I'm after a self inflator though, are the Nemo pads self-inflating? I already have an Exped Synmat 9LW, Exped Synmat UL, and a Thermarest Neoair Xlite so probably have enough inflatable pads... ;)
Yeah just a bit of banta,

There are some amazing hikes a stones throw from there, the cosmos have an inbuilt foot pump takes a few min at most

TimNWVic

Yeah just a bit of banta,

There are some amazing hikes a stones throw from there, the cosmos have an inbuilt foot pump takes a few min at most
Yeah no prob, understood :).

The OT was my first multi-night self-contained hike, did it in Jan/Feb 2020 just before covid hit. A colleague told me it was too easy, turns out he did the glamping option where you pay someone to cook your meals and carry your wine to the next 5 star cabin, walking the easy 4-5hr days with a light daypack. I slept every night in my tent despite some shitty weather (nothing like winter must be though!). On day one (the hardest day normally) the usual first night hut was being renovated so we were diverted to Scott-Kilvert hut- I realised the next day that meant hiking/scrambling/climbing down a very steep track and losing literally all the elevation gained in the morning, then having to hike/climb back up it the next day. There were some very tired and grumpy people at Scott-Kilvert hut that night. It was character building though, can't wait to get back to Tassie.

I bought a Black Wolf Mega deluxe mat from Anaconda today. The swag certainly rolls up a fair bit smaller now, happy with that, but haven't slept on it yet. Regional VIC back in lockdown so I guess it will be tested in the backyard.

smitty_r51

I bought a Black Wolf Mega deluxe mat from Anaconda today. The swag certainly rolls up a fair bit smaller now, happy with that, but haven't slept on it yet. Regional VIC back in lockdown so I guess it will be tested in the backyard.

Found then very comfy to sleep on (had them 2 years now and done many multi night trips) and yeah I liked the size they rolled down to. Just had one issue where the one way valves clogged up but Blackwolf replaced then under warranty. They still worked as a Normal valve and would empty when you squeezed the mat but they wouldn't fill.

mikehzz

I've been following this guy, I like his style. He's using Nemo Tensor insulated mat with a Sea to Summit Ember down quilt, both very light weight and pack down to nothing. The concept appeals to me but they both cost an arm and a leg. Anyone with experience of either?