Change background image

Self inflating mattress in Swag

Discussion in 'Tents' started by boobook, May 27, 2017.

1. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

How many people have replaced the foam matress in their swag with a self inflating mattress?

I like taking my swag but it's really bulky. I'd prefer not to put it on the roof for some longer trips.

Does it work doing this? Will I save much space?

Erwan likes this.
  2. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

I use self inflating mattresses in all of ours, (2 singles and a double)

they only take up less space if i roll then seperate, so the mattress comes out and is rolled and then the swag is rolled up...

They are 10cm mattresses though... Might work with a thinner hiking mattress

3. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

We use a double swag with two single self inflating mattresses
    I havnt even unwrapped the swag mattress as they are too bulky

If I have plenty of room I just deflate the mattresses and roll them up in the swag and I bought a duffle bag to put it in
    Works fine

4. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

I use a self inflating too. The swag rolls up to nothing without the foam in it. The self inflater rolls up to a bigger size but I find it easier to pack and lighter when they are separate. My self inflater is a Roman standard at around 50mm and I don't even have to screw the caps on, I let the air come and go as it pleases....a bit like my air really. :)

abw, Bomber2012 and Albynsw like this.
  5. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

I use one of these in my double swag , super comfy and warm . I only recently bought my second one (first one lasted 5 years) good quality and good price. fullsizeoutput_78b.jpeg

underdog likes this.
  6. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

You got a link for those?

7. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Who is that from? Price is cheap

8. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Removing the foam mattress was the best move I made my swag, I shelled out for a
    blackwolf mega delux self inflating mattress and love it. Ended up doing a price match
    + 10% and got it for 208.00 from memory.

[​IMG]

Rolls up pretty neat leaving it inside the swag too.

[​IMG]

80lover96gxl, underdog and Albynsw like this.
  9. Bomber2012

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Albynsw likes this.
  10. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

^ what the hell are you doing in that swag ? lol

Mr Rum and Bomber2012 like this.
  11. Bomber2012

Yeah it does sound bad lol:eek:
    The filth is from rolling it up on the ground ....mud , leaves , dust , etc

12. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Yer, yer, I believe ya. lol

Bomber2012 likes this.
  13. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

There are always trade offs in these things but I have to admit I like foam myself.
    Yes its bulky & hard to roll up but I get the best sleep out of it.

I just don't find a self inflator has enough depth & density to support me without then being like a brick or everytime I turn over part of me hits terrafirma.

Recently upgraded from a wild country swag(that I had a 100mm foam mattress in) to a Kings big daddy deluxe.

Very happy with the way I sleep now when I am in the bush but yes it is big but I am willing to sacrifice room in the ute for that or even put it on the racks if I have to.

When the 70mm high density mattress starts to droop as it will with time I am going to try a Coleman inflatable.
    Will take up less room than a foam & a self inflating but just need a 12v pump or even use your mobile 12v compressor.

Its your comfort in the end.

14. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

You were rolling it inside out :p;)

Mr Rum and oldlux like this.
  15. Bomber2012

it was too bulky to roll up with the swag , so doesn't matter which way your rolling it up .

16. Bomber2012

You've never camped in alpine areas ? air bed is like a fridge under you ,

80lover96gxl likes this.
  17. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I have a Kulkyne King Swag with a 100mm mattress, basically like a normal mattress in style, its been fantastic, can even roll it up myself...

My Burke n Wills Double Swag it's a pain in the ass , nice to sleep in and spread out, a pain to roll up, you need two people and to lift it onto a roofrack etc. .

80lover96gxl likes this.
  18. Triton14

Triton14 Active Member

Sure I have but like I said I don't currently use an air mattress & don't know how an air mattress would go in the cold but the only way I will know is try it for myself!
    Wednesday - Copy.JPG

19. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

The current pinnacle of hiking mats are insulated inflatables. They roll up smaller and lighter than a 35mm bonded sim and are more comfortable - apparently because I don't own one. They aren't cheap. For blokes struggling with comfort from those huge 4wd store mats, try a 35/50mm bonded mat from a hiking shop. Smaller lighter and carry more weight evenly. I'm 115 kg and sleep well on a 35mm mountain designs mat. You can imagine how small the swag will roll. If I was buying again it would be an insulated air mat though. They are getting the best reviews by far and don't even remotely resemble the old li-Lo mats.

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/blog/review-sea-to-summit-comfort-light-insulated/

20. MikedOut

MikedOut Active Member

I used a double matress (luckily) in mine last weekend at the 2nd Annual NSW Gathering. The original Darche matress as well as a Camping World self imflating one. While it kept me dry (the seams on the tub/canvas let a bit of water in so with the 2nd mat I was above it all) at the feet end it was getting a bit tight. Comfortable as, i think the self inflator is more comfortable but not as wide as the swag.