Seeking advice - used 120 prados

red hilux

VX has dual zone
later models GXL have it also
the traction control system is great, just not on sand, if it has it.

or like me, I went the GX. I didnt want any of that.
The GX doesnt even have ABS brakes. Perfect for me.

CaptainBanana

VX has dual zone
later models GXL have it also
the traction control system is great, just not on sand, if it has it.

or like me, I went the GX. I didnt want any of that.
The GX doesnt even have ABS brakes. Perfect for me.

I usually buy the highest spec because I love things like automatic climate control and automatic wipers and all that other crap but if I was looking at a 120 and I didn't have kids I would also consider a FJ Cruiser.

LD.02

Not go add to much food for thought but have you considered an fj cruiser.
I have! love the look of them, wicked looking cars but just a bit of a stretch budget wise to find one in the condition I'm after. If one pops up for the right price though, I'll pounce

TYNO87

Petrol 120 series prados are a lot of vehicle for what you pay and damn near bullet proof. Couple of things to watch though. Cracking inner guards are common as is the cracked dash. The dash doesn’t affect airbags or anything, just unsightly and difficult to cover with a Matt as they crack just about everywhere. The rear door has a tendency to crack/ split near the hinge as well. Engines are brilliant provided they’ve been serviced on time. Mainly oil changes as the pickup can be blocked by sludge build up easily. The timing cover can leak down near the sump. Difficult to pick up if the engines been cleaned as it can be a slow leak. Expensive to fix on account of how much needs to be disassembled to get to it. There were some issues with white paint peeling, most would have already peeled though by now if they were going to. Other than that excellent vehicle. Jump on Prado point and have a read. Loads of info there.

03hilux

Ive had my 120 for just over 3 years now. Its a 2008 build V6 Auto. The only issue i have had was the evap unit corroded through on the dual zone A/C. Lucky for me, I work in the mechanic game, so got a new one for the right price and paid my workshop mech to fit it. A regular customer would expect to pay $1500 - $1800, as its a dash out job, taking around 6 hrs.
Fuel wise, usage is very dependent on driving style. Be heavy footed and 16ltr/100km is normal. Drive normal city driving and you should get 12-13lt/100km. And drive sedately, and 10-11lt/100km is easily done.
They have plenty of power with some to spare. Towing a 2t caravan is done with ease, and it doesn't suck a great deal of fuel. The trick is to build up to speed. On the freeway with the caravan, I can happily sit on 100km/h and overtake comfortably if needed.
Offroad on the beach they are great. Mine doesn.t struggle on soft sand or running up dunes.
In the bush, my only dislike is how freely it will rev once traction is lost.

Mechanically, service as per Toyota, and you will have no issues.
The oil pick up and the VVTI filters can block up, but regular services can prevent this.
The later built models, 2006 onward I think, got the 5 speed auto box.

The tail gate is prone to seam cracking around the lower hinge
The inner front wheel arch is known to crack and chase toward the fire wall.
The factory sunroof is known to leak, with water making its way to the seat belts, as to are the roof rail mounts if they have been tampered with.

The top spec got an airbag rear end, which are prone to failure. Dont worry too much, as most suspension places offer a coil conversion kit.
Dash cracking is common. But, going by a few FB pages, a lot of Toyota dealers are doing warranty replacement dash pads. Some have been with no out of pocket expenses for the owner, and some dealers are charging a labour fee. Using the fact the dash is cracked across the face of the passenger side air bag, which can cause severe injury if the airbag deploys seems to be a common claim.

Your budget of $25k is overkill. A 2008-2009 GXL V6 should set you back between $12,500 - $18,000 depending on Kays, Condition, Service History and Extras.
I paid $16000 for mine. It was a 1 owner, full service history, dual battery, 2in lift, Alloy bull bar, spotties, new cooper at3 tyres with 235000kms.

03hilux

Perfect, 120 it is. Any thoughts on what sort of Km's I should be looking for at close to 20k? so far I've seen everything from 120,000 to 210,000, though I don't mind picking one up with more k's if it has some kit already on it

250,000 is around an average km mark.
The NRMA claim an average family car in NSW travels 20,000km per year. So a 2008 built car would have around 240,000km.
There are plenty with over 300,000km for sale, butif you shop around, you should find a few with less than 200,000km on them.

LD.02

Your budget of $25k is overkill. A 2008-2009 GXL V6 should set you back between $12,500 - $18,000 depending on Kays, Condition, Service History and Extras.
I paid $16000 for mine. It was a 1 owner, full service history, dual battery, 2in lift, Alloy bull bar, spotties, new cooper at3 tyres with 235000kms.

That makes things easier, I'll lower my sights and have a gander at what shows up there, thanks mate

A trac, crawl control, rear locker.
No boot space

Touring is largely what I'd be using it for, so I'll look into it more but most likely will stick 120 for the extra cargo space

Petrol 120 series prados are a lot of vehicle for what you pay and damn near bullet proof. Couple of things to watch though. Cracking inner guards are common as is the cracked dash. The dash doesn’t affect airbags or anything, just unsightly and difficult to cover with a Matt as they crack just about everywhere. The rear door has a tendency to crack/ split near the hinge as well. Engines are brilliant provided they’ve been serviced on time. Mainly oil changes as the pickup can be blocked by sludge build up easily. The timing cover can leak down near the sump. Difficult to pick up if the engines been cleaned as it can be a slow leak. Expensive to fix on account of how much needs to be disassembled to get to it. There were some issues with white paint peeling, most would have already peeled though by now if they were going to. Other than that excellent vehicle. Jump on Prado point and have a read. Loads of info there.

I've got a mechanic mate so I'll bring him along to everything I look at, handy to have him around as for the price of a slab he's said he'll be able to get through some of the easier accessory installs but bigger stuff I'll still get it done professionally

Thanks again for all help, this is super helpful and the mention of the fj as being somewhat in range has rekindled a desire to have a look at them

red hilux

Things to look for

-v6 prado has right engine mount problems. Check for cracking on the chassis, happens but not overly common
- cracking in the inner guards, happens but overly common
-rear barn door hinge cracking. Can happen from carrying big tyres, or opening the back door hard ( EG wind catches it)
-rear bar door, pull the door seals off on the body , look for rust ( more common )
- Check other door seals for rust, does happen but not common

SirDrinksalott

I want to stick with Toyota, Hi-Lux at the moment, I looked at the FJ on line, none in the garage, it looks like it has no storage space so it would need to pull something and I dont want that. That said, I owned a Disco and that had F-All space too.

What does the Prado have in its trunk, much junk?

CaptainBanana

I want to stick with Toyota, Hi-Lux at the moment, I looked at the FJ on line, none in the garage, it looks like it has no storage space so it would need to pull something and I dont want that. That said, I owned a Disco and that had F-All space too.

What does the Prado have in its trunk, much junk?

Prado isn't big out back, some (most?) have 3rd row seats.

The fj has no luxuries other than manual air con. It doesn't have adjustable steering wheel either which made it horrible for me. The back seat windows don't work and except for dogs your passengers will hate it and probably throw up. There are kits to make them pop out a little though. They also crack front inner guards especially with second battery and/or bullbar. Rubbish headlights although easily upgradable.

The upside is they look good if you like being different. They are largely a prado underneath. They have rubber floors throughout, big 6 cylinder, decent transmission, solid axle rear and Independent front. Post 2013 (I think) models have dual fuel tanks and reverse camera.

When I was looking the used ones had less kays than prados for same or less money, they both suffer the ridiculous front end cracking, they both have the same drive line, they both carry the insane Toyota tax. The fj cruiser is good looking or horrible depending who you ask. The prado looks like white goods like everything Toyota, it's inoffensive but I like my cars to look more interesting than my kitchen appliances.

There's much much more missed out but that's a little to consider if looking.

boobook

I have! love the look of them, wicked looking cars but just a bit of a stretch budget wise to find one in the condition I'm after. If one pops up for the right price though, I'll pounce

I like the look of a FJ Cruiser, but it seems that it has less storage, less practicality and more price that a Prado. It does have that macho look at me of a wrangler without the extra functionality. I think if anyone was leaning in this direction a jeep would be a much better option.

CaptainBanana

I like the look of a FJ Cruiser, but it seems that it has less storage, less practicality and more price that a Prado. It does have that macho look at me of a wrangler without the extra functionality. I think if anyone was leaning in this direction a jeep would be a much better option.

The prado has about 70 litres more boot capacity, about 10% more. I would also go the Jeep but twin live axle is very different to what the Toyota products offer in terms of drivability on road. Surprised about the pricing, when I was looking low kay fjs were more affordable. I haven't looked since 2016/17 though.

LD.02

When I was looking the used ones had less kays than prados for same or less money, they both suffer the ridiculous front end cracking, they both have the same drive line, they both carry the insane Toyota tax. The fj cruiser is good looking or horrible depending who you ask. The prado looks like white goods like everything Toyota, it's inoffensive but I like my cars to look more interesting than my kitchen appliances.

Yeah, further digging has pretty much ruled them out with the money I'll have in hand. previous advice was to lower my budget a bit which I can do, then make the plain jane look a bit more interesting and individual with some add ons.

Do agree though, until recently toyota has turned out some pretty boring (albeit very functional) stuff

SirDrinksalott

Seriously a Jeep? Are they really any good?

Not being funny, only Jeep I drove was a hire car in Washington DC, it drank fuel faster than a tramp on turps, its interior was 'loosely' put together and was like driving an armored car.

CaptainBanana

Seriously a Jeep? Are they really any good?

Not being funny, only Jeep I drove was a hire car in Washington DC, it drank fuel faster than a tramp on turps, its interior was 'loosely' put together and was like driving an armored car.

The most capable cars have live axles front and rear - jeep is one of few who still make them. Unlike Toyota's with live axles jeeps actually flex too so you can go an awful long way in a stock vehicle.

Now jeeps reliability and support is not really there with Toyota.