Seeking advice - used 120 prados

LD.02

Hi earth,

after reconsidering for a few months now I'm looking at picking something up in the next 12 months (around 20-25k), all signs so far have pointed to 120 prados for me (resale, personal preference, aftermarket options) and I'm looking for someone to either tell me I'm looking in the right direction, or point me somewhere else.

First
The 1GR-FE (4.0v6) is my engine of choice after hearing about D4D injector nightmares and other expensive issues, especially given that in my budget diesels are upwards of 180,000km, although petrols are not significantly less they seem to have a better reputation. Hoping that someone with significantly more experience than me can give me an idea if I'm talking nonsense or not

Second
Have I chosen the right rig? rightly or wrongly my heart says toyota, but im happy to be convinced otherwise (pajero, etc)

Other bits
How much should I shell out for accessories?
any bits that you wouldn't venture out bush without feel free to put in the comments.
Bullbar, neccessary or not?

any advice is seriously appreciated, thanks all

discomatt

None of the questions can be answered with good advice unless people know exactly what you plan to use the car for, how many km per year, remote long distance touring, towing, hard 4wding etc

red hilux

20-25k is a lot of money for a petrol prado. They normally chew about 16L/100 give or take a bit.

The money you save in purchasing a petrol will easily cover the cost of fuel compared to diesel.

Dont let the 1KD injector issue scare you off. They are a strong motor when you look after them. Plus, you would imagine that they would have had injectors changed by now. If so, they should be the upgraded injectors.

There is actually 3 engine choices with the 120 prado. The V6 petrol, 1KZ engine and the 1KD engine. The 1KZ has a 4 speed auto and the 1KD has a 5 speed auto, assuming your after an auto.

If you can stretch your budget, maybe look at a 150 prado.

The pajero is also a good option. under estimated.

LD.02

None of the questions can be answered with good advice unless people know exactly what you plan to use the car for, how many km per year, remote long distance touring, towing, hard 4wding etc
Completely forgot to include that! would be used for relatively shorter touring trips, no big plans to lap aus just yet, don't have the time! nothing really extreme, but basic 4wd trails. Wouldn't really be used for anything but that as I'm within riding distance of work, so daily k's not an issue. Nothing to tow, car wouldn't be doing more than 10,000km a year.

LD.02

20-25k is a lot of money for a petrol prado. They normally chew about 16L/100 give or take a bit.

The money you save in purchasing a petrol will easily cover the cost of fuel compared to diesel.

Dont let the 1KD injector issue scare you off. They are a strong motor when you look after them. Plus, you would imagine that they would have had injectors changed by now. If so, they should be the upgraded injectors.

There is actually 3 engine choices with the 120 prado. The V6 petrol, 1KZ engine and the 1KD engine. The 1KZ has a 4 speed auto and the 1KD has a 5 speed auto, assuming your after an auto.

If you can stretch your budget, maybe look at a 150 prado.

The pajero is also a good option. under estimated.
Auto would be the go, I'll have to look further into the 4/5 speeds, thanks mate. I've heard about the injector upgrade and have been told if I go down that road get new ones soon after I purchase just for peace of mind. Would you expect them to last as long as the 1GR? diesel is appealing on the basis of economy, but I've got mates who have the petrols with 400,000+ km with nothing more than a bit of tlc given, so the longevity there is what has me won over atm

TasmanSam

I had a 5sp auto v6 120 prado for 4 years and loved it. With a rear locker, 32's and a small lift I was able to do plenty of great tracks. I had a large james baroud RTT on mine so I averaged about 17L p/100 but it was so nice to drive, heaps of power. It had 230XXXkms on it when I got it and just under 250 when I sold it, I only had to replace a noisy engine pulley. Everything else was just general servicing and replacing worn suspension components.

Also the easiest car I have ever owned to service, the oil filter is right at the front of the motor within easy reach.

RBJET

I would 100% go the petrol with what you've mentioned.
Cheaper purchase price & cheaper maintenance far out way the economy of the diesel. + more power.

LD.02

thanks all, helpful to know I'm on the right track. Anyone care to weigh in on whether its worth it to stretch for a 150, or go the 120 and spend the extra cash kitting it up?

red hilux

What do you want to do with it?

i heard the 120 is roomier inside. I can’t confirm that.
120 has a slightly bigger fuel tank.180 compared 150 litres

if your going a petrol. You will be happy with the 120

RBJET

Having gone through this process a few years ago, I settled on the 150, purely for the fact it was a nicer more modern car. The 150 is roomier by the way.
The main benefits of the 120 are price, bigger fuel tank, removable rear seats & less electronics.
The 150 is roomier, more modern, far superior traction control and that's a about it really that I can think of.
Value for money you can't beat the 120.

LD.02

Perfect, 120 it is. Any thoughts on what sort of Km's I should be looking for at close to 20k? so far I've seen everything from 120,000 to 210,000, though I don't mind picking one up with more k's if it has some kit already on it

RBJET

I don't know all that much about the petrol's too be honest but I think I'd pick one for reliability over a diesel.
I'd probably just take a look at them and make a decision by how clean they are. Obviously I'd stay away from one with 500,000km on it.
The lower the better but if there is one with a few more options with more kms then I'd still jump on it.

TasmanSam

They are a good solid motor that will pump out bulk kms as long as they are serviced regularly, however always best practice to go with the lower kms options. I personally wouldn't hesitate to pick one up with over 200XXXkms on it provided it had a full service history (this is what I did with mine back in the day)

LD.02

They are a good solid motor that will pump out bulk kms as long as they are serviced regularly, however always best practice to go with the lower kms options. I personally wouldn't hesitate to pick one up with over 200XXXkms on it provided it had a full service history (this is what I did with mine back in the day)
Good tip, I'll remember to look out for that, cheers!

I don't know all that much about the petrol's too be honest but I think I'd pick one for reliability over a diesel.
I'd probably just take a look at them and make a decision by how clean they are. Obviously I'd stay away from one with 500,000km on it.
The lower the better but if there is one with a few more options with more kms then I'd still jump on it.
Yeah I'll be aiming as low as possible, but accessories research is revealing the unseen cost of going bush! Fridges are surprisingly expensive...

Thanks everyone for your help, would be a bit lost otherwise!

LD.02

Don’t buy a grande

VX is probably the higher spec

in saying that. They now make coils for the grande

Is that due to the rear airbag suspension? I've heard as much and was planning on ruling them out anyway, any word on which trim would be best suited as a platform to modify, or not enough difference. I've been told to look for ones with the traction control as it helps offroad