Seek Outside 12 person Tipi

malJohann

Not sure if anyone would be interested, but I thought I’d post up my experience with Seek Outside products.

Purchased their 12 person Tipi, half liner, half floor and XL titanium wood stove combo, with two nests to keep bugs and snakes out of our sleeping space and bags.

The whole setup weighs about 12kg including the stove and packs into the size of a medium gym duffle.

I was pretty sure it would work out, but my wife was a skeptic of a floorless tent in Australia. We’ve now camped in it twice in two months, and happy to say she’s a convert!

The stove can be stoked literally red hot, and make the tent uncomfortably hot inside. Forget t-shirt weather in cold temps, my wife felt like she had to get out for a bit.

Condensation is basically there every morning, but the stove or the sunshine dries it right out. Wet clothes and boots dry out no problem either.

You do get flying bugs and spiders in there, but that’s not a problem at night due to the nests, and if you go out during the day and zip up the tent, they die from heat.

Our first trip with this setup was a three day, and our second a five day family camping trip.

Now for some photos, and Q&A time. Seriously feel free to ask.

https://flic.kr/p/2kSSJQn
https://flic.kr/p/2kSY5xp
https://flic.kr/p/2kSR8ww
https://flic.kr/p/2kSU1R5
https://flic.kr/p/2kSSL2L

discomatt

Pretty deadly set-up.
Not much more so than the massive wood heater in my lounge room, set it up and be smart about it I don't see much of an issue, happy to be talked around if I am missing something but its a fully enclosed fire with a full chimney

malJohann

set it up and be smart about it I don't see much of an issue
Exactly, turned out to be a non-issue. There was much more smoke outside our tent due to a lot of campers doing open fires. The draft through that flue ensured fresh air was pulled in through the bottom of the tent, and hot smoke went out the top through the flue.

Triton14

I looked into tipi's & think they would be a great option.
BUT I couldn't have a floorless tent, imo for me anyway as my usual kind of camping will involve subzero temps, wild winds, rain & snow so needs to be to be sealed.
Even if I was in the tropics I would want a floor to keep all the nasties out.

Each to their own though.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Nice setup for a typical cold weather camp for a few days.

12kg inc the stove and all is awesome, through in a decent groundsheet (I'd use a custom shadecloth one) and it's very good compared to any of the decent size quick erect tents on the market, typically they're around 25kg.

I've used a Black Diamond Megamid teepee style tent for oh 12 years or so, for our small group bushwalks.
It's floorless, but has option for clip in floor, single centre or offset pole, most times we use it for multi day trips as one carries the tent, one the floor, one the pegs / pole, works out great . . . total weight 2.8kg for 4 and gear inside.

Have done remote walks like Tas South Coast Track in winter, AAWT off season (I recall Mt Skene in a major blizzard !), remote NZ tracks in Autumn, Nepal 28 days Himalaya down to -17c, this tent's been around !

Once used to the side wall angles and real space available, it's a different option with various pros and cons.

cam04

Kimberley kampers have a wood burning heater option for their canvas annexes. I’ve only heard great reports about them.

Last edited:

malJohann

price wise what are we up for ?
The price above is USD for the single layer tent only. With all the bits I added and the stove it was around three and a half grand Aussie delivered.

That said, I added quite a bit of kit, but was realistic around what my wife and little kids would need to be comfy.

LBO Nest (2 Person)
NST2IS​
2​
Rain/Snow Cap
ACCS121​
1​
12 Person Liner Half
ACCL12​
1​
Utility Tray XL
ACCS117​
1​
12 Person Tipi - Stove - Half Liner Bundle
BUN12XL​
1​
Atwood 3/32 x 50ft Reflective Orange Cordage
ACC117​
2​
Spark Arrestor - Ultra
SOSPRK​
1​
Stove Stand
stovestand​
1​
12 Person Half Floor
ACC12fl​
1​
Titanium Wood Stove - XL *
STXL​
1​
Shelter Gatekeeper Straps (Set of 4)
s-gk-st​
3​
Tipi Storage Bag
LgTipiStorageBag​
1​
Matty McMat Face
mountainmat​
2​
Titanium Ash Scoop
coalscoop​
1​
12 Person Tipi - Brown, With Door Screens
to12rs​
1​
Stove Pipe Storage Tube
pipetube​
1​
Standard Pipe - 10.5'
pipe-std-105​

Last edited:

malJohann

All that said my favourite feature of the tent is the ability to walk completely upright inside (the peak is 2.9m high). It’s positively palatial for a family of four.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Matty McMat Face
Lol, these are air mattresses ?
I thought they would be a US company (and they are) . . . wondered about how they picked up on the UK humour with the name (remember Boaty McBoatface ?) We nearly called our current cat Catty McCatface.

Had a look through their stuff, a 24 person teepee too ?
Described as being suitable for "basecamps, cook tents, small concerts, emergency housing" lol.