Change background image

Secret documents reveal issues with new HiLUx, Ranger, Navarra and Colorado.

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by 4x4admin, Jul 13, 2018.

1. 4x4admin

4x4admin Administrator Staff Member

Wow, News.com.au has a story about multiple issues with new 4WD Utes that are creating multiple visits to dealers for repeairs before they are fixed properly.
    The issues include:
    Toyota HiLux - diesel particulate filter (DPF) clogging with vehicles blowing excessive white smoke. Customers need to return 3 times for a DPF re-gun flush, only after that is the DPF replaced with a reflash of the engine management commputer.
    Hilux - faulty drives that the dealers try to fix with machining, on returning customers get a new rear propeller shaft slide joint.
    Ford Ranger - known faults with intercooler pipes splittinig, rear main oil seals that leak and hard transmission shifting. There have also been catastrophic engine failures! Ford was putting the cause as poor quality fuel initially.
    There is a recall for Rangers and BT-50s that need a heat shield after fires in long grass. The BT-50s where available for sale from 26 July 2017 - 31 January 2018.
    In Australia, manufacturers aren't required to share information about quality for new cars, which is different in the United States.
    What has your experience been?
    toyato ranger.jpg

Swaggie likes this.
  2. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

That's why I'm considering a Chinese ute at half the price that has every feature under the sun and a long warranty. :)

80lover96gxl and rogerazz like this.
  3. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

No mention of triton bendy back

4. BlueCollie

BlueCollie Well-Known Member

You left Dmax out of the title.

5. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Joshua Dowling also wrote this article in motoring section of the Herald Sun today. Scan_20180713.jpg

6. Uncle Buck

Uncle Buck New Member

That's why I've kept my 93 fzj for the 24 years

Beever, Bomber2012 and rogerazz like this.
  7. TYNO87

TYNO87 Member

I’ve not long sold my 2017 triton. Had it 1 year and 1 week. Worst vehicle I’ve ever owned. Filled an A4 sheet of paper with issues by the first service, 12 months and half a dozen services later only 6 or 7 issues had been resolved. Main issues were the gearbox popping out of gear from the minute I drove out of the dealer, passenger seat shaking violently when ever there wasn’t any one in it and the paint pretty much falling off. Then there was the damage done by the dealership when they were doing some of the warranty work. I don’t regret much in life, but I deeply regret the day I walked into Mitsubishi.

megamung, rogerazz and dno67 like this.
  8. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

20180615_163817.jpg
    I just got given this by my boss as my new work ute.
    2017 Great Wall Steed, Top spec duel cab 4x4, 2.0 td.
    I was skeptical at first but im really enjoying driving it and on the -1 degree mornings the heated leather seats are quite nice.
    24k brand new, 3 yr warranty plus a free carwash and detail once a week.
    Will do a post on it later this weekend.

Mr Rum, phs, rob_macca67 and 4 others like this.
  9. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

I'd look at it if it had a 5 star ancap. The LDV T60 does with a 5 year warranty.

rob_macca67 and 80lover96gxl like this.
  10. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Yep fair call.
    I copped a bit of stick from co workers for getting a great wall but the way i see it if my boss wants to gimmie a brand new ute to drive around in im not gunna complain.

11. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

I few local tradies owned the earlier models and mentioned they were under powered when towing or loaded.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  12. shaun0

shaun0 Member

I work offshore and the Chinese built ships after 5 years look like Norway built ships after 30 years so not sure how good these Chinese built 4wds are.

13. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

That would be its only downside thus far mate .I was considering getting a towbar fitted when it goes in for its first service but not sure if I'll bother now as i think it would be quite a slug if towing anything over 1.5t often.

dno67 likes this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be complaining either Brian, Nice , drive what we are given if you lucky enough ,Would be great to hear how it goes down the track.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  15. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

About 6 years ago a new dealership opened around the corner from work and they did Isuzu utes plus one of the Chinese brand one that has a big brand well respected diesel motor in it
    After about 12 months they dropped the Chinese dealership as it gave them too much after sales grief and just stuck with the Isuzu
    Good warranty is of little comfort if you get let down often
    There are lots of Chinese and indian tractors on the market and their specs on paper, warranty and price make them sound a really attractive option but they are not nice to operate, the steel is crap so you are constantly breaking things and the mechanics don’t like working on them
    I am sure that the Chinese vehicles will be up there with the rest soon but not sure how close they are now

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    80lover96gxl and CaptainBanana like this.
  16. CaptainBanana

CaptainBanana Active Member

Not sure misuse and overloading are actually a fault, mines certainly loaded every single day and has large ball weight applied at times and it hasn't so much as squeaked.

17. CaptainBanana

What other faults did you have that were not caused by the dealer? So far I've had not a single thing go wrong and I drive it loaded everyday with large trailers and caravan as well. It's an awfully good car for the money even more so.

18. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

Old tech is better tech

19. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

In there day people winged about them and their dealer too

20. CaptainBanana

Exactly right, with cars having 4000-5000 components and being used across many continents, conditions, loads and by billions of drivers with different driving ability you can't account for everyone and can't make an invincible vehicle all whilst being competitively priced within its class and target demographic.