Change background image

SE suburbs Melbourne day trips

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AyTee93, Aug 15, 2018.

1. AyTee93

AyTee93 New Member

Hi all, another newbie here!
    New to the 4wd game, can't wait to get out with the family and start exploring this great state! I'm looking for somewhere in Melbourne SE side of town for some exploration. Will be first time out with the 80, so nothing serious. Somewhere we can stop here and there and have a walk, take some photos. Have all the necessary gear.
    Point me to the trees!

2. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Welcome to 4x4 earth @AyTee93 , Best area for SE side of Melbs is probably up around Walhalla , plenty of tracks to do up there , buy a rooftop map of the area and study it . Keep asking questions as there is a lot of knowledge on the site .:)

Spooner likes this.
  3. AyTee93

AyTee93 New Member

Cheers Bomber! Walhalla was also suggested to me by a friend, must be a good spot. And yes, there does seem to be some experience getting around on the site. Great to have so many willing to share experiences and help out. Happy I signed up! Thanks for the tip

4. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

welcome to earth mate

5. AyTee93

AyTee93 New Member

Cheers mate! Looking forward to busting everyone's chops for info and advice!

6. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

I dunno about Walhalla. I have been 4wding for a long time and there are some steep tracks around there that I am still weary about if it's been wet. Plus its full of hoons. There are some great things to see for sure but get good, specific advice. There are some on this site who can give that. I try to avoid it like the plague.

To get used to 4wding, I'd head up to places like King River near Pinapple flat, all the stuff around Bluff Hut and the huts there ( though that can get busy like all places close to Melbourne).

Try to avoid the hard core tracks for a while. And do a course. Join a club, and or go with someone who has been doing it for a while.

Spooner and discomatt like this.
  7. AyTee93

AyTee93 New Member

Cheers boobook, I don't want anything serious at all, I'm completely new to the game. Run through a bit of mud, get the kids having a bit of fun and introduce them to touring and respecting the bush. that's my starting point.

8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Its a great place to go , love it , lots of fun , but yeah i would agree with @boobook for a newbie I wouldn't recommend it for starters .
    Plenty of easy tracks / dirt roads to go on , but take a wrong turn and it could turn to shit very quickly if you aren't prepared for whats ahead.
    Besides winter is not the best time to go there for a newbie ;)

Walhalla 1.jpg

Below was a few years ago , happened on one the Walhalla tracks off shoots.
    I couldn't find the original footage but it gives you an idea hey !

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    discomatt likes this.
  9. AyTee93

AyTee93 New Member

Thanks Spooner :eek: honestly if I took a wrong turn and saw a vertical track like that, i'd turn around, not have a go. But river crossings can change overnight, yeah? Don't think I'd want to take a wrong turn into that, with the boss, the dog and kids in the car...
    Someone also mentioned to me about Sheepyard Flats to check out. Mansfield area I think?

10. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

4wding can bring you unstuck anywhere you go, the trick is to know your limits and take it easy. Anywhere in Vic has great wheeling, Toolangi , Gembrook , Tallarook , Walhalla , Jamison , Mansfield , Dargo , Big Desert and the list goes on.
    Each place is different and each place has easy and insane tracks.
    Get out with some mates to learn and do a 4wding coarse.
    Check out 4wdtrip.com
    Sheepyard is good , yes near Mansfield , but it can be very busy and with that comes load hoons every now and then