scratch marks on the clear coat

BonZa

I've got a 79 series land cruiser and after many trips along tracks with scrub either side of the tracks I am finding a lot of scratch marks on the duco. running the length of the body and along the tray. the scratches are not into the paint but more on the clear coat as they don't show up when wet.

and being a maroon deep red colour the marks stand out like the proverbial on a dog

is there any product available that actually works that can be used to polish out these marks or at least lessen the look of them?

phs

Polish will fix temporarily, Other than that cut and polish

If it were me and I was keeping it I would and do

Wash
Clay bar
Polish
Ceramic coating

all Autoglym

do for self a favour and buy a random orbital polisher takes the shoulder braking labour out of it

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
That is the other way to look at it. Not as a problem, but a reminder of adventures and leave it :)

BonZa

was going to get Autoglym products but supercrap didnt have the full range so bought Maguairs stuff instead.

used a clay bar kit first on the tray as it had a lot of marks, followed by ultimate compound for clear cut, which is a very mild cut, and finished with ceramic hybrid wax to polish off. did the same with the body except didnt use the clay and it came up very good.
one particularly mark on the door from a tree branch is almost invisible and all the other lines are almost gone. you have to look hard to find them now except on the tray as some marks are down to the prime coat

was worth buying a cheap cordless polisher and stocked up on plenty of microfibre polishing cloths.
first time the vehicle has been polished in over five years since new so it was due and it came up so well I did the same on my little 'ol Jeep Wrangler.

Rusty Panels

I love Autoglym polish. It definitely helps to protect your paintwork not only from scratches but from the weather too. I try to give our cars a coat at least once a year.
My wife washes her little Veloster at least every second week and the water just beads off. Makes cleaning much easier. I reckon it's the best thing to come out of the UK ever.

CTL

I love Autoglym polish. It definitely helps to protect your paintwork not only from scratches but from the weather too. I try to give our cars a coat at least once a year.
My wife washes her little Veloster at least every second week and the water just beads off. Makes cleaning much easier. I reckon it's the best thing to come out of the UK ever.
Try Bowden’s Own, brilliant product, and Australian made and owned.

Albynsw

The new ceramic wax style products are much easier and better to use than the polishes IMO

I have been using the Maguire one for a while but recently switched to the Turtle one as it is even more durable
The finish is amazing and is so easy to use

I like the Bowden’s product as well

CTL

I started using Bowden’s when I was detailing my old ute for sale. Previously a Maguire user but now a Bowden’s Own fanboy. Now using it on the new ute and highly rate it. Pin stripes are still there but you have to look for them to notice them, certainly can’t notice them from a metre or so away, and the water beads beautifully

Bru9

"Cut n Polish" is so vague the term is almost meaningless.

After the pros spray the paint and actually put down a good thick amount (unlike OEM) using high end guns and compressors the coat has a very fine orange peel, so they machine wet sand or by hand with 1500-3500grit based on how good the spray job was. This is the only way to get a mirror finish, so to remove those wet sanding marks usually 1500, they cut with a rotary buffer which has tremendous cutting power and requires real skill. I use M105 and is works just as well as the older cutters that don't break down as you work it, I have mastered the rotary a long time back and can use it by one hand with other hand holding small work pieces.
But it's harsh on your arms, given it's high turning force, downright dangerous on any curved areas of paint, it's true advantage is restoring "fog lights" to a high clarity, or metal bars, amazing tool indeed.
Nowadays the D/A is superior, after finishing on 3000grit, used with say the lake country yellow or orange pad and M105 on med to high speed it just carves up the wet sand marks and although longer than the rotary your arms are less fatigued. Rotary is a pig, the buffs are expensive too.
Modern car paints up until now are usually called "Urethane" and they are hard and brittle and easy to remove stratches, now "polyurethane" is the way to go, significantly more harder to cut n Polish, if I can, I will wet sand right up to 7000grit to make the D/A work easy.
The 3 main things that determine cutting, is the compound, applicator, and machine speed and pressure applied. Of course other materials are different, aluminum although butter soft actually requires vastly more machine speed and pressure.

So onto an OEM paint job, they literally should not be cut at medium pad two firm passes more than once in their life, the paint jobs usually are thinner in areas and in highly curved areas all coats will thin out so in those areas you run a big risk of rubbing through. So what does this all tell you about buying second hand??????
The proper way to assess the severity of scratches is to do a lite pass on the med cut foam pad at say 1cm per second, if no change in appearance, go a second pass, if only a small improvement in swirl reduction you know your going to need to take alot off so it's prob not worth it. Good eyesight is key.

But yeah, like others say, your literally wasting your time caring about the paint job, you can't drive off Rd in bush without tree branches hitting your car, you can't drive over 80 in open areas without debris hitting your car causing chips, you can't open the door for 5mins without dust getting in, you can't use your wipers without them scratching the windscreen, lol can't use electric windows without scratches being put in the glass. Caring for your car is just another burden in life you can do without.

Free yourself!!!!!!